Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-ways

2-ways

Most of the threads I've searched are people matching an already owned component for a two way. In my case I have nothing. If I where to assemble a large altec/jbl based two way from components with an emphasis on clarity and extention what should I use? There are no restrictions on cabinet size.

Thanks

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

Here's a pretty large Altec two way system....

Ok. Ok.
    By large I was thinking of a single 14" - 19" woofer based system.
    I forgot where I was.

Hello

Thinking JBL For the woofer the one that comes to mind would be a 2235. It gives you good lowend with a high crossover point up to 1K. Le-14h-1 or -3 would be nice but they are not readilly available. You can get any number of cores with new cone kits and have essentially brand new drivers for about $500.

Rob

I'd clone an Altec Model Nineteen.

Good choice of compromises and good extension on both ends.

I figure they moved the crossover up from the 500-800hz of earlier Altecs to 1200hz so there wouldn't be as much distortion with the more extended highs.

Use a 416-8B woofer, 802-G or 902 compression driver and the 811B horn. And build the right crossover, that's a key element as the crossover EQs the system. Plans for the Nineteen crossover are easily available online.

What Rob said, though of late, I'd spend the additional $100 to work with a new pair of LE14H-3 for a more modest-sized outcome, and arguably better response in the region of 1 kHz.

For HF, it's PT Waveguides and any one of a variety of compression drivers, depanding upon budget and availability.

http://www.jblpro.com/ae/pdf/PT_WaveGuide.pdf

Mega-system? 2235H in 5 cuft (2507) plus 2352 horn on top, 2435HPL or 2452H-SL compression drivers.

Those horns too big? Look at 2381, which will fit in the box with the woofer.

[Tom's doin' the Time Warp, apparently.... ]

I may have access to 14" JBL's. Are there many different models of 14's?
    Which would be more acurate between the le14 based system and the 2235 based system?

Thank you.

lfh

What's your budget?

I'd like to stay below $1.5k for the drivers. I'd be happy if it cost less than that. There has to be a point of diminishing returns right?

You have to admit the A1 is impressive though. Just imagine if it actually works.

"[Tom's doin' the Time Warp, apparently.... ]"

Nineteens are first-rate 2-ways. I never heard anything one-box-turnkey I liked better and I've heard alot. If I liked something better I'd buy it. Simple enough.

- Here's a "beefy" look that I happen to like .

- That Altec 411a woofer is very hard to come by ( yes it's a 15" ) / though a JBL ME150H would be a reasonable standin ( IMO ) / you'll want to port the cabinet if you use the ME150H . ( The ME150H can be purchased direct from Harman US by American citizens only, for @ $460.00 ea. )
    - The Altec 511b horn you see usually has a 1" exit driver ( 802-8G or 902-8b ) attached to it .
    - I would recommend going with a bigger driver. Therefore, find a pair of Altec 288-8K drivers ( local to where you live , because they are 30 lbs a piece ). Put new GPA diaphragms into whatever drivers you find. Adapt the 511b horn ( by cutting off a piece of the entry throat ) into a 1.4" entry type ( see my last set of pics ).
    - Build some custom passive horn EQ for the driver-horn combo / and then have the ME150H cross in around 700 hz ( passively or electronically ) .

PS - ( If you don't have any test gear and have no intentions of investing > $500.00 into the necessary equipment / build a "clone" of some known entity like the Model 19 or a JBL 4430 .
    - "Cloning" means you won't have to bother doing all the necessary research into a very convoluted topic ).

BTW: I think that $1000.00 ( minimum ) per box , for components, is a lot more realistic ( I personally don't see "diminishing" returns coming into play until @ 10,000.00 has been spent ).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

lfh
    Quote Originally Posted by 89-300ce View Post
    I'd like to stay below $1.5k for the drivers. I'd be happy if it cost less than that. There has to be a point of diminishing returns right?
    OK. I suggest listening to a pair of 4430:s before hacking away (see Earl's remark above).

Thank you. That is an incredible amount of information to digest. I think a 4338 based system as per lfh's post is out of the question.

Which in your opinion would be the easiest to find and least difficult to get sorted
    JBL LE14H-3 + waveguide
    JBL ME150H + Altec 511b
    JBL 2235H + JBL 2352

I'm now a little concerned about the skill required to integrate the system. Have crossovers been figured out for these combinations?

Altec 19's vs. 4430's?

For a guy who likes to listen, and would consider building only to be able to afford something listenable, could the cost of buying/shipping a complete speaker be justified by a relatively fixed resale value? Sort of as an investment.
    Just for arguments sake.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by 89-300ce View Post

I'm now a little concerned about the skill required to integrate the system. Have crossovers been figured out for these combinations?

Altec 19's vs. 4430's?

For a guy who likes to listen, and would consider building only to be able to afford something listenable, could the cost of buying/shipping a complete speaker be justified by a relatively fixed resale value? Sort of as an investment.
    Just for arguments sake.
    The M19 crossover is pretty well documented & i suspect the 4430's is as well....

buying/shipping large speakers gets pretty expensive pretty quick as i am sure you can imagine...

if you want originals, it is very worthwile IMO to pick them up if you can.... I had a gentleman drive from near the coast of OR to the Denver area to pick up his Model 19s...

from what i have seen, the clones do not tend to get the resale value that the original units get, even if they are very well built....

Thread Information