Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it low, or tacky, to list you own ebay items in the marketplace?

Is it low, or tacky, to list you own ebay items in the marketplace?

Because if it is, I was unaware. I have seen a number of people list items for sale in the marketplace. However, this morning I was called (low) for doing so.

Hopefully, I will get a straight answer. Because if mentioning an item for sale on this forum is somehow a bad thing, I'd like to know so that I don't do it again.

I guess maybe it's only cool if another member sees your stuff and posts the link.

Man I'm confused. Someone straighten me out.

Originaly in the old days a member would offer it here. If it didn't sell it would go to ebay. There are no rules and that's just my take. To just post here saying you have it on Ebay is kind of out of line if done with any regularity, as the marketplace is for selling here, not elsewhere.

Direct quote from Don McRitchie:

For example, do not announce your Ebay auctions in the "General" forum. The "Marketplace" forum was specifically designed for this type of post.

...seems to me like you're using it exactly as instructed.

je

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundz View Post
    Man I'm confused. Someone straighten me out.
    oldsounz...

You are doing it exactly right.

The only negative issue we had was people popping up here and bragging about the splendiferous X4519 MTM and how it was simply the most rare and best speaker ever. Then, we would find that exact model on eBay.

If it helps you market your eBay auction of JBL or related stuff, please do come here! You will hopefully find the right audience.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Since I was the "caller", I'll explain.

The post read something like;

"416-8B Altec on eBay, one day left, price still pretty low"

Followed by a link to what turns out to be the poster's own active auction.

So, what appeared to be a helpful "heads-up" to other members turned out to be nothing but a gratuitous effort to get more bids on your own item.

Deceptive, plain and simple.

Just like the first post in this thread...

Won't be a repetitive problem for me though, I'm familiar with the "Ignore" function.

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post

Followed by a link to what turns out to be the poster's own auction.
    Well, I cannot comment on that being intentionally deceitful or merely an intentional omission since the LH poster and eBay seller relationship was easily sussed out.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    ....intentionally deceitful or merely an intentional omission...
    Out here in the country, they're one-and-the-same.

Out here in the country, they're one-and-the-same.

Anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    ...the LH poster and eBay seller relationship was easily sussed out.
    ...as you proved with a quick lookie at the auction.

Let's find an egregious case to trial our sleuthing on...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

You've got to pay to play

I've done both, but of course I'd rather sell my "baby's" to someone here than to some cannibal on ebay. I always give at least 10% of my sells to the LH Forum. Plus I believe that this forum is a 501(c)3 corp. and is tax deductible as charity. Someone (Bo) please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't understand

Since I was the "caller", I'll explain.

The post read something like;

Followed by a link to what turns out to be the poster's own active auction.

So, what appeared to be a helpful "heads-up" to other members turned out to be nothing but a gratuitous effort to get more bids on your own item.

Deceptive, plain and simple.

Just like the first post in this thread...

Won't be a repetitive problem for me though, I'm familiar with the "Ignore" function.
    But I guess it just proves that you cant please them all. If I was trying to be deceptive I would have 2 forum Id's and I would have noted all of my auctions currently listed. As it was, I listed the auction that I felt was more important, and more in line with the cost most forum members would spend. I know most members of this forum are not willing/wanting to pay what I asked for my 076 JBL's. so I didn't bother posting them. The fact that I did not immediately claim the speakers as my own, was not being deceptive.

And how is the first thread in this post deceptive?

Thanks to those who have defended me.

Low?

Quote Originally Posted by mbd7 View Post
    ...I believe that this forum is a 501(c)3 corp. and is tax deductible as charity. Someone (Bo) please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Technically, yes; actually, I don't know. It has never been told me how this is constructed, other than loosely (and I mean no disrespect with that).

That said, it is in the interest of forumites to have sellers alert us of their activities. Posting something in either Marketplace is a de facto advertisement, and is more-or-less understood to be a promote. Some of us post there as third party to alert the forum to something we have stumbled across, but have no financial interest in.

The issue has never been posting in Marketplace - the issue had been poser posters promoting splendiferous speakers in OTHER, non-marketplace areas, while themselves offering contemporaneuosly the same or like goods for sale on an Internet auction / want ads site. That is disingenuous, and we sorta hate that, pretty much unanimously.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Gary L
    I have no real problem with it but your word "Tacky" does ring my bell in this situation.

I have seen my own auctions posted here by others and felt obligated to ID myself as the seller. I would not however post my own auction link in an effort to generate more interest.

To each his own and as long as it is not a direct violation, carry on.
    I generally just skip such threads once I get the connection.

On another front, I am one of those who appear in your watchers list at the auction. Won't be bidding but this is how I stay updated on values.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    I have seen my own auctions posted here by others and felt obligated to ID myself as the seller.
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    I would not however post my own auction link in an effort to generate more interest.
    That is your choice, but the Marketplace areas were established just for that purpose. It is the Fleamarket, man - that is the intent.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

speakers !

I have an important auction on at the moment. I did'nt want to place them in the market place as I was unsure of the protocol around this practice.
    I also paid far too much for them. I'm trying to recoupe as much as possible.
    I would prefer they stayed in the family. They have been relisted once . With one day to go and still no bids , I would like to offer them here at lesser price.
    I'm not a flipper . I dug myself a bit of a hole with my 4345 project and this is a way out. The 4345's are worth the stress though
    Rich

Gary L
    but the Marketplace areas were established just for that purpose. It is the Fleamarket, man
    Thanks for the clarification on this! I have been elsewhere where it was "Not OK to post your own Auction".

I take back my "Tacky" remark and must admit it was rather "Tacky" of me dragging over-moderated rules from one place to another!

Gary

Thread Information