Thread: Please suggest an alternative to the Cornwall bass bin.

Please suggest an alternative to the Cornwall bass bin.

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here. I knew it was only a matter of time till I ended up over here - and glad to be on a great forum.

I had originally intended to build a Klipsch Heritage clone. as time goes on things are getting way different. I think that with every revision of my plan I will end up with something that makes me happy. At this point I have a pair of 511Bs and 902 8Bs on the way. My intention was to couple this to a Klipsch Cornwall bass bin (home built). The system will be bi-amped and I would like to try the 902s out to 20k.

Now, finally to the question. The volume (size ~5.5ft3) of the Cornwall bin is just about right for me, as is the sound I am trying to achieve. Can anyone suggest an Altec or JBL driver and alignment that may compare? I guess you'd have to know the cornwall to answer the question.

The Klipsch is a no brainer - I know it will do what I want and parts are no problemo. I would like to consider keeping the whole thing 'all in the family' though.

Thanks in advance ,
    Marc

Marc---I suggest using an Altec 416 woofer in a large vented box like that of the Model Nineteen. The upper bass and lower midrange of the 416 is far superior (IMO) to that of the Cornwall. A great part of the Altec magic is in their woofers.

I was where you are many years ago, modding Cornwalls with an Altec 802-511 top end, then I went the whole hog.

There are guys over at Todd White's Altec forum who can give you more details on vented boxes for the 416.

Thanks for the reply Tom,

I think I've seen you over at the PWK forums - right? I'm considering going 'the whole hog' to start - I own nothing Klipsch at this time.

Is that a Model Nineteen in your avitar? Altec is new to me so forgive my ignorance!

Regarding the 416 in this type of alignment: I see it has an Fs of ~25Hz and also a low Qts. In your opinion (or perhaps measurements) will it go low or be best - say 40Hz on up? I don't want to need a sub for 2 channel. If I exceed the 75w rating will they explode - and are recone parts reasonable/available?

I'm sure I can search for all this - and I will. It's nice when someone points you in a direction though.

Thanks

I owned cornwalls years ago.

The woofer had a smallish magnet and the cabinet cutoff at 45 Hz. Tuning was probably BB4 but I was not able to verify since my equipment was in storage.

The shelf port can be difficult to tune on these cabs. It would be easier to add fiberglass to acoustically enlarge the cabinet or else wood blocks to decrease it to get the tuning right.

my .02, don't hurt me.

Thread Information