Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: L300's or 250TI's

I settled this issue for myself. I won't listen to a set of 300s or anything that that I can afford which should be higher or equal on the sound quality chain. I have heard some things at hi end stores...need a roof over my head more

I settled on the TI series and all that is left is to get the best out of them

an on going issue. now back to reading about bass traps,connecting my newest additions(aquaplased tweeters and big amp),

I also had HT in mind w/a higher mounted plasma, the 250 tweeters are the same height as the center tweeters under the tv.

Best of luck w/your decision. it really is a difficult choice

I'll offer the 1st grand for the 250's, make great rear surrounds

Mark

After careful consideration's and slapping myself a couple of times I have decided not to buy them. I must end this never ending endeavor to find something better than what I already have. If I don't stop it now I'll end up with some Everest's and hocking my house.I don't make this decision lightly but realize it is the right thing to do.

Thanks for all your comment's on the subject as I really enjoyed your opinions pro and con.

I'm 55 years old now and I am still a little boy when it comes to this stuff and I think there is no better better feeling than to listen to your favorite music and hear every single note the way it's supposed to be heard and JBL does this remarkably well.

I did pick up a set of L100's,my favorite's. These belonged to my brother who's had them over 20 years and still has the original dark brown grilles on them and yes the grilles are slowly disapearing.I believe these are the A model.I am going to purchase the orange grilles from re-edger and will post pictures when I receive them.

I also picked up a set of L36's from a cop friend of mine, already re-foamed them and their in not to bad of shape.Sorry for going off topic here.

In the end I believe I made the right decision though I regret it.I must put an end to this disease.Yeah right! Thanks guys and gals!

Glad you were able to make a decision,sometimes the hardest part!

Looking forward to sound comparisons before the 250s go

And when they do I am up to 1100 and climbing

Mark

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    After careful consideration's and slapping myself a couple of times I have decided not to buy them.
    I think that's a wise decision. The technology used in the 250Ti's is newer, and I'm willing to bet they reproduce sound more accurately than the L300's. It's like cars - old hot rods or classics are neat and it's easy to get blinded by passion, but when all is said and done, newer cars, while not having as much glitter, usually drive better, are more comfortable, more reliable, get better gas mileage, and so on. And just like having a classic car sitting in the garage for those special times, speakers are the same way. If you could swing it - 250Ti's for everyday use, and L300's to pull out now and again. Otherwise, stay with the realistic practicality.

'Just my opinion...

John,

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    It's like cars - old hot rods or classics are neat and it's easy to get blinded by passion, but when all is said and done, newer cars, while not having as much glitter, usually drive better, are more comfortable, more reliable, get better gas mileage, and so on. And just like having a classic car sitting in the garage for those special times, speakers are the same way. If you could swing it - 250Ti's for everyday use, and L300's to pull out now and again. Otherwise, stay with the realistic practicality.
    thats the 59 Cadillac analogy SB & SW were discussing (and came to the same conclusions) , I had a 1969 Porsche 911...legendary car. Lots of fun to be seen in, but not that much fun to drive, not very reliable, and not even fast by todays standards,

(geeze, I guess I shudnt give advise in buying newer speakers, mine are 197?? vintage, must be 30+ y.o.)

Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    My analogy still stands...but some people like 1959 Cadillacs...and that's ok, as long as I 'm not driving it everyday.

Nothing quite like the "in your face" associated with old speakers and old cars. That's the way to go!

It's good that you were able to make up your mind so fast. I would bet that you would have a tougher time finding another set of 250Ti's than you will have coming across another set of L300's. Those 250Ti's are really transparent and accurate but I must admit that the older JBL systems just seem more enjoyable at times. That forward punchy character of systems like the L300 just makes reproduced music sound alive.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    That forward punchy character of systems like the L300 just makes reproduced music sound alive.
    Yeah, maybe... I too like the "more alive" sound that horn systems tend to offer. I am not terribly keen on the forward punchy character of many of them however. I'd suggest it is the effortless dynamics we respond to at least as much as the frequency response anomalies.

Widget

I'm guessing from my serial numbers on the 250ti's put these around 84 or 85, I have the lowest numbers I have ever seen on these,they are both in the 500's.

I don't really care for alot of bass, I don't like for the bass to overpower everyhing else.I prefer a good top end but something that sounds real and not artificial.My 250ti's have a good top end but not like the L300's. I guess it's the horn. The low end on my 250ti' is sufficient and what a kiss ass driver. The L300's did not impress me on the low end and they are probably on par with my 250ti's.

I would like to have my 250ti's with the top end drivers of the XPL140's that I'm selling. These are not horns but sounded awesome when I heard them the xpl140's that is.

There is only a few songs I like to play with overpowering bass because it makes you feel that your part of the action.The Soprano's theme song is a good example. What a song and the bass is stunning and you better have a good driver to reproduce it.I can see the notes in this song destroying some speakers but my 14's handle it with ease.Actually this is the song to use to see if you need re-foaming or not.This piece of music will let you know whether you need a refoam or not.

Just some of my thoughts on this issue.

I am sorry I misread the answer, still happy for you making a fast choice

Mark
    1200???

L300s are 3 ways - the good midrange would be the horns.
    The good top end of the L300s is the "glass" slot tweeter - the consumer version of the 2405 (a JBL Pro sound driver).
    I think most of the big JBLs would benefit from being biamped - give that 15 a dedicated amp, and let another amp feed the crossover that runs the horn and slot ... That'd get you a nice solid bass - firm but not overbearing.

I'm guessing from my serial numbers on the 250ti's put these around 84 or 85, I have the lowest numbers I have ever seen on these,they are both in the 500's.

I don't really care for alot of bass, I don't like for the bass to overpower everyhing else.I prefer a good top end but something that sounds real and not artificial.My 250ti's have a good top end but not like the L300's. I guess it's the horn. The low end on my 250ti' is sufficient and what a kiss ass driver. The L300's did not impress me on the low end and they are probably on par with my 250ti's.

I would like to have my 250ti's with the top end drivers of the XPL140's that I'm selling. These are not horns but sounded awesome when I heard them the xpl140's that is.

There is only a few songs I like to play with overpowering bass because it makes you feel that your part of the action.The Soprano's theme song is a good example. What a song and the bass is stunning and you better have a good driver to reproduce it.I can see the notes in this song destroying some speakers but my 14's handle it with ease.Actually this is the song to use to see if you need re-foaming or not.This piece of music will let you know whether you need a refoam or not.

Just some of my thoughts on this issue.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

At 55 and plenty of young children around

you'll have plenty of time to sample other JBL/Altec morsels. I'm still getting to know my 19's. Plenty of combinations of amps, tubes,crossovers, etc. to explore. Then on to a 4341 for more sampling if all the planets align. You've got some incredible speakers to enjoy. I think your decision was wise. Just never say never when it comes to JBL .

Obsolete
    The L300's did not impress me on the low end and they are probably on par with my 250ti's.
    On their own they were pretty impressive but if one listened to them side by side one should quickly have noticed that the bottom end of the 250Ti was significantly "better", not "more", just "better".

You are not the first person to be seduced by the L300 by any means... it was a fun loudspeaker with plenty of "wow" factor. The 250Ti was night and day better balanced with comparatively zero fatigue although I personally wasn't real wild about the overall height of the system.

Hi!
    If You want to keep the cake and eat it, can't You build your own diy L300's? You can start collecting the drivers from ebay or this site and spread your expenses over time, and perhaps the final speakers will be less expensive than these originals. Just a thought.

I own a pair of 250ti's and I'm very pleased with the sound, but found some music to sound too laid back and undynamic. After hearing pro speakers with 2441 and 2227 drivers there were no turning back. Finally I ended up with 2405's, 2450's, E145's and 2243's. Together with biased N333's and a active crossover for the 18-inchers they produce a sound not as sweet as the 250's but more effortless and realistic. However, I still think the 250's are very good speakers, and I don't think I'll ever sell them. All speakers are compromises, and if You have two very different setups (f.e. one direct radiators and one with horns) maybe You are likely to always have one thats fits your mood and the music you decide to listen to at a certain time?

Regards: Jakob

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    On their own they were pretty impressive but if one listened to them side by side one should quickly have noticed that the bottom end of the 250Ti was significantly "better", not "more", just "better".
    Giskard,you said what I was trying to say.I was not impressed with the bass on the L300's because I felt it did not sound as good as my 250ti's.

In listening to these L300's I took some of my cd's that I play everyday which is classical music. I only use classical music when I audition speakers. With the songs that I choose will tell me how the other different types of music will sound. Usually works for me.

I do like the height of these beauties after all the old lady doesn't get to put her potted plants on them.

Thread Information