Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L300's or 250TI's

L300's or 250TI's

I just heard a set of L300's and I was floored,my God what a set of speakers.I think I have learned that I like horns.These things were just a pleasure all the way around. I believe they have my 250ti's beaten.

I have to make a decision the L300's or the 250ti's can't keep both. The L300's are mint. Please let me know why you would keep either pair.

If I decide to go with the L300's I will offer my 250ti's here but will be local pickup only.Please let me know your thoughts quickly as this guy will not hold forever. If I make the plunge I will post pictures here later. Thanks. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I just heard a set of L300's and I was floored,my God what a set of speakers.I think I have learned that I like horns.These things were just a pleasure all the way around. I believe they have my 250ti's beaten.

I have to make a decision the L300's or the 250ti's can't keep both. The L300's are mint.
    You already answered your own question....I would go with the L300's...or you will be kicking yourself....probably the two most polar opposites in design and sound that I could think of...so go with the one that floored you!
    The glass tops and clear slot tweeter are pretty cool, too...

Before you jump remember first impression can be deceiving. I would go back with music you know makes your L250ti's shine and see what you think then unless of course you already have. In any case good luck if you decide to go for the L300's.

Rob

Rob, I took some cd's with me and I have to say they shine more on these L300's than my 250ti's.I love the cabinets on the 250ti's but believe I prefer the sound of the L300's.

Wifey said I could finally get them but I have to get rid of the 250ti's,not so much a furniture thing but a money thing.You know too much month at the end of money and that sort of thing.

I know I will take a loss on my 250ti's and for some reason I'm not too concerned,these speakers got me hypotized or something.I hate when this happens.It's a disease.

majick47

Heard a Set of L300

Kingjames I listened to JBLNUTS 250ti and they were very impressive, Zilch had modified the 250ti crossovers and they were bi amped. Do to their height with the tweeters and mids up high the 250ti would be excellent as the front L & R in a surround system. My L300 do dual duty as 2 channel and surround front speakers but if the L300 were taller like the 250ti they would be lined up with the center channel speaker sitting on top of my wide screen cabinet. Just something to consider unless you have two seperate systems for 2 ch and surround. As far as the L300 go I doubt I could be tempted away from them unless it was a JBL 434X.

maybe look for other unused articles to unload............you may find having both is preferable.buying either set back down the road is going to be way more money if present trends continue...................remember those things are not new and may end up being down for repair occasionally

Jim

Some folks are just naturally horny. I'm not, but many here are, and if you're one of them, there's no place for you to hide.

Yes, you might take a hit on your 250Tis. That's the reality of the pursuit if you can't afford to keep both until conditions are favorable. And you might get buyer's remorse after you've had the L-300s for a while. And you might hear something that you like more than the L-300s that will start the whole process over again.

But those are all "mights" and the one thing that seems sure is that you want the L-300s. Don't turn that sure thing into a "might", as in "I might have been happier with the L-300s if I might have moved faster so I might have gotten them."

back of the room

For me it's always been horns since I came up with a reinforcement engineering background where articulation was the most important.

Put a listener in the back of a room with a pencil and paper. Walk up to the mike and say " shit shoot shot shirt short " and see how well he heard.

Any dome cone in the vocal range will be hard pressed to come anywhere near the level required for good understanding. Remember that a VERY good efficiency for a 5" mid is 5% where any comp driver / horn can do 25%. And at typical operation a diaphram moves very little resulting in lower dynamic distortion.

But one consequence is the horn's pattern and inherent waveform coloration which is a real complicated and passionately debated issue on these pages..

This does NOT mean domes are inferior but they have their limitations. Now with todays large amplifiers, wide dynamic range material and our forum members diminishing hearing ( WHAT ?? ) horns are going to give you the best long-term listening.

Before you bet the farm on the 300's be sure to listen to a pair of big 4 ways - there is a member in peoria that bought my 4345's and he might be able to accomodate a listening...

But then you will be selling the car, furniture and stocks to get your hands on a pair.

Fair warning.....

Quote Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
    You already answered your own question....I would go with the L300's...or you will be kicking yourself....probably the two most polar opposites in design and sound that I could think of...so go with the one that floored you!
    The glass tops and clear slot tweeter are pretty cool, too...
    Hey Pete ...didnt we have this same exact conversation in Portland a little while back ? Remember your 1959 Cadillac analogy ?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by majick47 View Post
    Kingjames I listened to JBLNUTS 250ti and they were very impressive, Zilch had modified the 250ti crossovers and they were bi amped.
    So Zilch is effing around with the networks I build too now?

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I love the cabinets on the 250ti's but believe I prefer the sound of the L300's.
    'Ya might wanna' wait until you've heard some of the 434X 4-ways, or you may end up going through the whole thing all over again...

John

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    So Zilch is effing around with the networks I build too now?
    Nope.

Never seen one, actually, other than Project May.

[And certainly didn't eff with those, no, no.... ]

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    So Zilch...
    I think he's getting you two mixed up...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    I think he's getting you two mixed up...

John
    You mean they're not one and the same??

I thought it was a comedy banter thing like Bob and Ray, Proctor and Bergman, or Bergen and McCarthy?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Hey Pete ...didnt we have this same exact conversation in Portland a little while back ? Remember your 1959 Cadillac analogy ?
    I didn't mean I personally would do it....from the impressions kingjames had, I suggested he do it...I just know how people are, me included, when they hear or see something that really strikes them....and if you like the way the horns sound, a 250ti isn't gonna compete...apples and oranges.
    My analogy still stands...but some people like 1959 Cadillacs...and that's ok, as long as I 'm not driving it everyday

Like I could afford one anyway...hell, they are a fortune now, too...

Thread Information