Thread: Planning Ahead

Planning Ahead

So, as some of you may recall, I sold my huge rack O' gear about a year ago, including my beloved 4343s to Steve, here. Not a week goes by where I don't miss them . As it seems I'm turning the corner with my business I'm planning my return to big box speakers. I don't think I'll ever find a pair of 4343s as clean as mine were, and the prices for those or larger seem to have gone insane.

If you were me, and had a big woodshop, good carpentry skills, good electronics skills and wanted to slowly embark on a top of the line DIY project, what model would you persue? I'm hoping to make an absolutely flawless clone (or improved where possible) so I'm particularly concerned about part availability for drivers, as well as badges, foilcals etc.

What say you? I'm thinking of starting to make a parts list and gradually stalking my prey .

Thanks as always for all the help I find here!

Hello Paul

Well what do you want?? A pair of 4344's is possible if you want to go back to familiar ground. Is that where you wan't to go?? If you are going to DIY you could go down any road. You can do your own thing, clone or try the Domestic side if have not already.

With new 4344's you can Biamp, and build a Charge Coulped network for the crossover. You can also ask Reissen if the networks Giskard and he are building are available if you don't want to do your own.

On the drivers you could get the the 2425 diaphrams aquaplased or try the 2435 instead on a modified 2307.

On the domestic side you could build one of versions of the L250TI

On your own I would get a pair of 2435's and see what you can do around them.

Any of these is going to be fun. If you can, take your time, and do all 3. You won't be sorry.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    So, as some of you may recall, I sold my huge rack O' gear about a year ago, including my beloved 4343s to Steve, here. Not a week goes by where I don't miss them . As it seems I'm turning the corner with my business I'm planning my return to big box speakers. I don't think I'll ever find a pair of 4343s as clean as mine were, and the prices for those or larger seem to have gone insane.

If you were me, and had a big woodshop, good carpentry skills, good electronics skills and wanted to slowly embark on a top of the line DIY project, what model would you persue? I'm hoping to make an absolutely flawless clone (or improved where possible) so I'm particularly concerned about part availability for drivers, as well as badges, foilcals etc.

What say you? I'm thinking of starting to make a parts list and gradually stalking my prey .

Thanks as always for all the help I find here!
    given your resources why not go for a set of l300s as the components are common to the big monitors

Thread Information