Thread: Cool 1929 WE/ERPI film clip

Cool 1929 WE/ERPI film clip

And another (later) film from RCA detailing the audio recording/mastering/record cutting process;

http://www.archive.org/details/SoundAndTheS

Yet another RCA (1958) promo tech film, "Living Stereo";

http://www.archive.org/details/LivingSt1958

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    Moin Moldyoldy,

fine to hear from you.
    Today totally on topic , that's a nice film. I will look at the others too, may be it is for the older pupils (language) an insight how it began.

PS: The "Prelinger Archives" is a fund of films. I typed in some historic items, there is so much for downlowding.
    (It is a slow connection.)
    Last edited by Hoerninger; 05-28-2007 at 04:05 AM. Reason: "Prelinger Archives"

Moin Peter, the pleasure is mine. These films caused me some reminiscing for sure. I imagine many here besides myself that were the class A/V geek in school would enjoy them, and the subject matter and source was appropriate, too. They're all BTBS (before the bullshit).

There's one more I'll suggest, "Sound Waves And Their Sources" (1933), another ERPI production. Might make a good intro for your next class. ;

http://www.archive.org/details/SoundWavesAn

(Added; I wonder how the producers would have reacted to know that their grandkids might someday watch these films worldwide at whim via cable/DSL/satellite broadband...? And how many of those grandkids would understand there'd be no broadband without Grandpa's contribution?)

That sound waves one reminded me why science was utterly baffling to me when I was a little kid. What utter dreck. Check out the sine waves coming out of that tuning fork, 2-d headed away in one direction.

It wasn't until I was a little older that I got wise to crappy explainations and bad analogies & began to figure things out for myself.

Moldyoldy, thank you SO MUCH for those links! I had not been aware of the Internet Archive site, but it looks like it is going to zap most of my free time for the foreseeable future. The Prelinger Archives are especially fascinating. Wow.

I kinda thought you might like them if you'd not found them yet, Steve. What's even cooler, is that the hi-res versions convert quite nicely to DVD....

I stumbled upon them quite by accident, on a side search from a recent discovery that's been occupying most of my spare time of late, that being Google's advanced patent search. Much more useful than USPTO's own search engine, Google has OCR'd the pre-1976 patent images, allowing full-text searches, quick viewing, and PDF (image) downloads. WHOOOIEEE! I've spent so much time with Wente, Thuras, Olson, Blackburn, and Hilliard et al lately, my flesh-and-blood buddies have concluded I'm not coming back from lunch!

Thread Information