Thread: 4345 driver question

4345 driver question

Hi All

Inspired by richluvsounds fabulous sounding 4345's I have started collecting the parts to build a pair of my own.

First up a pair of 2425J's from Spanish E-Bay which arrived today. Only one turned out in fact to be a 2426J whilst the other is the 2425J I expected.

So is there an appreciable difference between the two and should I be concerned. I checked in the library which only has specs for the 2426.

BTW my Spanish friend has another pair up now so presumably they are also odd!

Cheers

Ken

You'll need professional help.

I wouldn't go with different drivers and I wouldn't go with ebay drivers at least not with ebay diaphragms.

Hi Guido

Professional help is always very welcome and you're not the first to point out my need for it .

I've got a bit of time to source the right parts as I'm fully occupied for now building a workshop. So I'm not really in a hurry. I was just eager to get out the blocks and buy that first component! You're absolutely right though E-bay is a real pig in a poke so if there are any alternative sources of drivers I'm all ears!

Rich has kindly offered to help source the 2405's and I believe the 2245's are still available new, as are the horns.

And I'm sure I read somewhere that some new lenses might soon be produced. If that's right and there are any of the run as yet unclaimed perhaps I can put myself down for one.

2122's I understand are hard to come by even in the US so I'm expecting to have to go down the cloning / re-coning route . I need to read up on that and will almost certainly need help there.

Woodwork rather than electronics is more my thing really (though not necessarily to Richards standards). And so I have to admit I was thinking that when it came to it building crossovers might be something better farmed out to an expert. Preferably one in Germany. If he can fit me in!

I need to read up on the whole original vs charged couple thing. Rich's speakers sounded marvelous and I'm tempted to go the same route. I have a Berning ZH-270 to drive them and would like to keep open the possibiliy of bi-amping with a Crown on the 2245. Crunch!

Regards

Ken

Sounds good.
    Let's keep in contact.
    Other members will help also if needed.

The 2425 has a solid throat body. The 2425S has a thread on nose for applications with threaded horns like the 2342 and the Urie 801c coax driver. The 2426 is essentially a 2425S with a screw on adaptor plate for the 3 hole flange mounted horns like a 2307 and 2344. There is a difference in gap flux 1.7 vs 1.8 T as well but they use the same diaphrams.

He should have sent you matched drivers. You can certainly use them until you get another mate for one or the other or just keep a spare driver handy. You should look into new diaphrams for them.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2425hj.pdf

Rob

bugger !

what have I done ? If I'd hid the 45's there would have been a big space where the 35's once stood ! Rich

Quote Originally Posted by messengerman View Post
    BTW my Spanish friend has another pair up now so presumably they are also odd!
    I presume you were expecting a pair.

Tell him you want a matched pair of either, and will otherwise be returning these for refund....

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    what have I done ? If I'd hid the 45's there would have been a big space where the 35's once stood ! Rich
    Richard,

did you offer the 4435 officially here? It won't be a problem to sell them I think.
    Sorry for the bad drawings for my new babies

Good point

Hey Guido,
    I'll take some quality photo's and post them on the weekend.
    Nice chatting to you. The new babies though, are and will be something else.
    HORNS, HORNS. I'll do some digging while you sit on the beach. Whats the model number of the horn ?
    OOOPS I'm off topic . If Ken complains you can leave a cap out and I'll put chinese berylium dias in his 2405's

Greetings ,Richard

HORNS, HORNS. I'll do some digging while you sit on the beach. Whats the model number of the horn ?
    http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ad.php?t=16163

OOOPS I'm off topic . If Ken complains you can leave a cap out and I'll put chinese berylium dias in his 2405's
    No complaints from me just so long as you let me in on what you're up to. Or do you guys (and Heather of course) simply like saying "Horn" as often as possible?

sorry cant say

Ken,
    lets just say we aint talking bose !
    the new amps are here ......and chelsea won the F.A. cup. What a week in Jolly old London town.
    Rich

Hello
    The 2425 and 2426 are basically the same driver however for your purpose of building a pair of studio monitors you would be better with a matched set. The 2426's will be of newer vintage than the 2425 models. As for diaphragms 8 ohm/ H or 16 ohm/ J will interchange in the same driver body. Personally I use 2425 and 2426 drivers in my floor monitors and some smaller mid hi cabinets and just listening to them I can't tell the difference. But with the levels matched I do prefer the sound of the 16 ohm/J 2425 and 2426 drivers, it is a very very slight difference but it is there. Hard to explain but it's something, maybe due with the higher inductance of the 16 voice coil winding?

Mike Caldwell

get the others

Ken, can you get other the pair . If you can get 2 matching pairs I'll take the 2426's of your hands

Rich

Thread Information