Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with JBL 2440/1 Horn Choices

Hi Joe,

- Based on your own experience with 288s & multicells / I would encourage you to grab the pair of multicells available to you. ( One reason for this, is that to duplicate what you heard & reviewed , you'll eventually want to own a pair of Altec 288 drivers ) . BTW; What model 288 was reviewed ?

- You'll need to make a pair of entry adapters / a la the Dukane 2" type. These were used to enter into VitaVox multicells ( OEMed in N.A. for Dukane ) .

- I would also encourage you to stick with 2440 diaphragms ( instead of 2441s ) since you're using a tweeter above the mid horn .

Hello Guys and Gals,

Some more Pics. (Not bad for a mobile phone camera!)

Best
    JA
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi Joe,

- Based on your own experience with 288s & multicells / I would encourage you to grab the pair of multicells available to you. ( One reason for this, is that to duplicate what you heard & reviewed , you'll eventually want to own a pair of Altec 288 drivers ) . BTW; What model 288 was reviewed ?

- You'll need to make a pair of entry adapters / a la the Dukane 2" type. These were used to enter into VitaVox multicells ( OEMed in N.A. for Dukane ) .

- I would also encourage you to stick with 2440 diaphragms ( instead of 2441s ) since you're using a tweeter above the mid horn .

Hello Earl,

I think you are right- buy the Multicells. Sorry I'm no Altec expert- but they were the ceramic magnet version 288, which is a 288C- I think???? What do you all think- Better than the 2440 or 2441? Or is that too controversial to ask.

PS: Heather- I have posted PICS of some of the CDs and Albums played. I am still trying to hunt down which Louis and Ella was played- I was so gobsmacked I forgot to get a PIC of the cover.

PSS: there is a Lansing Heritage Forum Australian Member pictured in one of the pics. I cannot reveal who because he has not signed his modelling release. Maybe he can ID himself if he chooses to.

Best
    JA
    Best, Joe Alesi

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Sorry I'm no Altec expert- but they were the ceramic magnet version 288, which is a 288C- I think????
    - A ferrite ( ceramic ) magnet means it was either a 288-8K or 288-16K ( different impedance diaphragms ) .

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    What do you all think- Better than the 2440 or 2441?
    - I consider the Altec 288-8K ( which I have here in my front room ) to be one of the easiest to listen to compression drivers, available . Its' characteristics of diaphragm damping are just right for my ears .
    - JBLs' SR offerings ( meaning any diaphragm without a coating of aquaplas , put out too many obvious diaphragm resonances for my liking. I just can't hear past these resonances to get to and then enjoy the music. Mind you, I also hear capacitor resonances that I must damp down by dc-biasing ( Charge-Coupling ™ ) pairs of caps.
    - I guess it all depends on what ones' ears are sensitive to when making these choices .

BTW ; I use 3" diaphragmed 2431Hs and 1.75", 2426H drivers on an almost weekly basis in my SR work. My 4" diaphragmed, 2440 and 41s and 82s are retired for the time being.

Joe, what can I say? I guess great minds think alike. I enjoyed your enthusiastic review.

My fascination with large midrange horns began in 1991, when I built a pair of square cross section 150Hz. exponential horns from masonite. Being unhampered by knowledge, I made the mouths 28" square and took the throats down to 1" diameter for use with 802C drivers. With such long slender throats they beamed horribly, and required locking one's head in a vise for stable imaging. Nevertheless they had body, tone, and that "they are here" believability to vocals. I later chopped them to a 1.4" exit for use with 288s, which worked better.

Most hi fi speakers compress dynamics horribly. Since beginning with the horn stuff I've never looked back. Sure there are challenges of size, horn colorations, time alignment and all the rest, But I'd rather improve on these as best I can (or tolerate them) rather than live with a speaker that muffles dynamics. I think this is why the A5 and A7 systems have become such a test bed for DIY experimentation; despite their flaws they do preserve dynamics quite well.

kalkan0

horn for 2440 family

Hello Joe,

I advise you an iwata horn like on my system, expensive but the sound is great !
    I have seen a 2385 on ebay europe, in a box of wook filled with sand . That would be also a good solution
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/2-Pavillons-JBL-2...QQcmdZViewItem

Have a look on my system http://kalkan0.free.fr/
    Sincerly Maurice

Hello Maurice,

Thankyou for your response. I like your 4560- nice work. I have some copy 2385 type horns (although about 10% bigger). I like the sand filled box method- that way you can re-use the horn, which is not easy if you use something like concrete or plaster.

Would you say the Iwata horn would be close to the JBL 2350 in sound/dispersion?

Best
    JA
    Best, Joe Alesi

Thread Information