Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feedback on Crown DC300A as LF amp

PS-d comp

the PS200 is the same as the D150 and the 400 the same as the 300A - the only diff is packaging and the additional chip that allows delay turn-on and display board revisions. Same power transformers, number of outputs, etc etc, Just a much better frame for multi-amp commercial installs. Power specs tend to change with marketing people so take it with a grain of salt.

The PL3+4 are versions with more blinky lights ( oh yeah - we NEED them )..

if any of you guys are looking for some serious sub action, I have a large number of the 2KW mono block amps of different vintages / features.. M600/7560/DO2000/etc... AND I can do a simple rewire of the front panel card slot so the standard PIP cards will work..

I also have some 10KW and 36KW amps.

sub

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    the PS200 is the same as the D150 and the 400 the same as the 300A - the only diff is packaging and the additional chip that allows delay turn-on and display board revisions. Same power transformers, number of outputs, etc etc, Just a much better frame for multi-amp commercial installs. Power specs tend to change with marketing people so take it with a grain of salt.
    Scott Fitlin frequently mentioned differences between the PS-series an the D-series. He used them both but seemed to prefer the PS. This was but one of his comments on the subject:

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    The PS and Powerline series are basically the same. The PS was the pro variant, and the Power Line was Crowns attempt, in the `80,s at the consumer/home audio market.

I have them all, they are all good, the PS and Power Line series uses what Crown called Multi-Mode circuitry, which allowed the amps pre driver stage to run in Class A fir the first couple of watts, and then, as the amp gets pushed, it switches over to AB+B. I happen to like the Power Line series, and the PS series, I also happen to like the older and original D series, as in D-150A,s and DC-300,s and the D-75.

Since I`ve used them all, I do notice slight differences between the different series and generations of amps, but only slight, nothing major. If you use them properly, you should get great sound out of any of them. I particualrly like the highs using Crown Power Line 2,s mid 80,s, and I like a crown D-150A, white face circa 1978 or so for my mid horns. The slight differences in sound are due to the circuit refinements and possibly the newer generation of output transistors. And there are some who say the older D series was the Best Crown ever made.
    I did notice an improvement in the higher frequencies when I switched from DC300A-II and D150A-II to PS-200 and 400 in the biamped 4345 system.

There's also some interesting related info on the smaller D-series amps from Subwoof in this old thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...556#post190556
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

progress

Well the original "D" series amplifier design dates to 1967 and over the years better quality caps, resistors, chips and (finally) reliable output transistors meant that the sound would improve overall to a small degree.

Many of the earlier configurations had issues with oscillations depending on what opamp and what driver or output was used so that also was corrected. This also meant many were sold that were NOT updated so they had a certain "sound" with certain loads...and that era had studio monitor crossovers with just TWO caps and Lpads...jus sayin'

I still think the PSA2 / SA2 with the motorola dual-die outputs tweaked with the showco mod is the overall best home amplifier.. Takes a bit of work to update and such but it's quite punchy. The first stage is a precision diff transistor pair just like the very high end mixing console mic preamps.

Think of it as an older muscle car with a large V8 but newer computer ignition/carb control...

sub
    ps - still haven't got the knob boxes sorted yet phil..

Well the original "D" series amplifier design dates to 1967 and over the years better quality caps, resistors, chips and (finally) reliable output transistors meant that the sound would improve overall to a small degree.

Many of the earlier configurations had issues with oscillations depending on what opamp and what driver or output was used so that also was corrected. This also meant many were sold that were NOT updated so they had a certain "sound" with certain loads...and that era had studio monitor crossovers with just TWO caps and Lpads...jus sayin'

I still think the PSA2 / SA2 with the motorola dual-die outputs tweaked with the showco mod is the overall best home amplifier.. Takes a bit of work to update and such but it's quite punchy. The first stage is a precision diff transistor pair just like the very high end mixing console mic preamps.

Think of it as an older muscle car with a large V8 but newer computer ignition/carb control...

sub
    ps - still haven't got the knob boxes sorted yet phil..
    I have 2 of those PSA-2 amps. What is the showco mod?

Quote Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
    I have 2 of those PSA-2 amps. What is the showco mod?
    Check out the PSA-2xh variant, it was the ShowCo mod institutionalized...
    From my understanding

showco

I've posted this before so take a poke around the site with the search function.

In essence the showco mod was a re-tapped power transformer ( one each channel ) and a bias mod. This raised the DC voltage to +/- 95v from the stock 73 (?) so the 8 ohm power is around 420 and 4 is close to 700..

Because there were ONLY 8 outputs per channel, and the main caps rated at 100V, it was a "right on the edge" mod that pushed the limit...the new dual dies are almost 400 watts *each* dissipation and I install 125V caps so...

thump.

I also mod the balanced module's filters so it is HP/LP at 125/25 so it is a dedicated subwoofer amp with limiters.

Couldn't make it any lighter though.

Greetings, All,

In addition to the big Peavey amp I was recently gifted, I got to test the two Crown amps, too. Both the D150AII, and the D45 worked perfectly. Clean, smooth, sweet, and concise, I am totally happy with this pair of older Crown amps!! The Peavey, too, did very well, and is very powerful, clean, and tight, but it's top end is not as sweet as either of the Crowns, and most certainly not as sweet as my H/K amps. All in all, a happy and satisfactory day of amp testing, and musical listening!! Thanks to one and all for your comments and suggestions on the older Crowns! MUCH appreciated! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I've posted this before so take a poke around the site with the search function. In essence the showco mod was a re-tapped power transformer ( one each channel ) and a bias mod. This raised the DC voltage to +/- 95v from the stock 73 (?) so the 8 ohm power is around 420 and 4 is close to 700.. Because there were ONLY 8 outputs per channel, and the main caps rated at 100V, it was a "right on the edge" mod that pushed the limit...the new dual dies are almost 400 watts *each* dissipation and I install 125V caps so...thump. I also mod the balanced module's filters so it is HP/LP at 125/25 so it is a dedicated subwoofer amp with limiters.Couldn't make it any lighter though.
    Did that with the DC-300 to. Change primary tap from 120v to 100v and that gave 210w/ch/8 Ohms instead of 170w/ch. Never had any problem with these.

Thread Information