Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Crown DC300A as LF amp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    oldr&b

Wink Feedback on Crown DC300A as LF amp

Help me with this, please.

IMO, a decent used not abused $300 Crown DC300A connected bridged mono represents the best value in a low frequency specific power amplifier. I'm talking minimum 500 RMS 8 ohm bombproof watts @ .05% THD down to 1 Hertz. Please tell me what gives more bang for the buck in this specific application.

Also, I believe it's the KING OF SPARES. The amp to keep around for when the ship hits the sand.

Obsolete

Re: Feedback on Crown DC300A as LF amp

I just picked up yet another Citation 22 for $300. It's Consumer Crap though, so people on this forum might retch if not using balanced gear.

Anyway, I've done the Crown D-150A and DC-300A with 4315B's, 4333B's, 4343B's, 4430's and 4435's and they both work well enough. I think the Citation 19 and Citation 22 are a bit better, the Citation 19 should probably be limited to just LF even after being modified with poly bypass caps. One could say the Citation 22 is a bit grungy on the top end and should also be limited to the LF but it's certainly a bit better than either Crown full range, or the Citation 16A or Citation 19 for that matter. Adcom GFA-545 and GFA-555 aren't bad either, although I don't know what they are going for these days - they too should be in the $150 to $300 range. Any of them should probably satisfy modest home LF requirements.

I'm overall very very happy with my Crown gear and agree they give damn good bang for the buck and have been nearly indestructable in my experience (I've owned most of mine since new, approx. '78). If you want a great laugh you have to read the original service manuals, (I have them if they are helpful to anyone). Whoever wrote them had a damn good sense of humor and among other things they describe their potential as welding power sources...

Tom Loizeaux
    Hey, I'm a Crown amp fan, but remember that DC means direct current, so I've been told. It WILL put out 1 Hz! I've known these DC Crown amps to fry speakers when over driven. If you use these, you should use some sub-sonic filtering in your signal path.
    I use the Crown PS series amps partly because they have a 10Hz roll-off and a sub-sonic detector circuit.

Tom

well, knock on wood...

I used a DC300 ll running two B380's in my theater and replaced it with a crown k2. Much more distinction on the sub. I still use one in mono for a single B380 in my family room and am very happy.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_daddy View Post
    I used a DC300 ll running two B380's in my theater and replaced it with a crown k2. Much more distinction on the sub. I still use one in mono for a single B380 in my family room and am very happy.

do you think it's the additional power you are liking?

oldr&b
    Tom, you're certainly right. With DC300s if DC gets in, then DC goes out! Not for nothing, as our colleague noted above, could they conceivably be used for WELDING! Caveat emptor. Keep the input clean.

For another fascinating use of the wonderful DC300, check this out: www.sl-prokeys.com/prokeys/power.htm

oldr&b

Talking

By the way, I readily acknowledge the DC300s main shortcoming and it's significant. They don't sound good enough to be used as a full range amplifier (except in emergencies!). However, IMO, if you want a tight, stone reliable LF amp, they're better than anything else.

Yes, I immediately noticed the difference. I am a huge fan of the DC300 so please do not think i am bashing them. Ps. I own 4 DC300's and would never part with them.
    Mark
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Greetings, All,

I still have my first Crown DC300, which I got in a trade from our keyboard player, back around 1980. Our band used to use it for PA use, and once, up in Minneapolis, the Crown passed DC to our crappy Bose 802 copies, and friend all those little speakers!! Got the amp fixed at a Crown dealer, and it went into storage. I got it when looking for a big amp, and my friend offered to trade it to me for a VW Fastback with a blown engine! I snapped up the trade, and have used that old amp for many happy years since then, with no problems, at all!

OK, enough reminiscing, here is my question: What are the differences/upgrades from the Crown DC300, to the DC300A, to the DC300A II, and then the PS 400? I have that old DC300, plus two DC300A's, and recently scored a D150AII and D45A, and want to use the lot of them in an all active system. As a side note, my old friend from whom I traded my VW for the DC300, recently gifted me a huge Peavey CS1200X amp, which is a real brute!! As a subwoofer amp, that one might have some use..... But, an all-Crown system rather calls to me, too.....!! Thanks for any thoughts, or comments, on the differences between the old Crown big amps. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Someone may well be more knowledgeable than I on this, but my rather vague recollection is that the A had "IOC", input output comparison, essentially clipping indicators. I seem to recall that there was even an upgrade kit available at one time. As to the II series, I'm afraid I don't know as that was after my time. Hope that's of some help!

I don't know much about the DC300A except that it's rather industrial looking and most wives wouldn't want it sitting in the living room. To appease the wife I put my DC300A in a nice walnut Phase Linear case...It fit perfectly without any modification. The only issue is the walnut case can cost nearly as much as a used DC300A.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    What are the differences/upgrades from the Crown DC300, to the DC300A, to the DC300A II, and then the PS 400? I have that old DC300, plus two DC300A's, and recently scored a D150AII and D45A, and want to use the lot of them in an all active system.
    Yes, the DC300A added IOC lights. The -II was all black with the front knobs all on the right side and the back was a flipped version of the previous model. The PS-400 added a bit more power, new circuitry, the ability to use balanced XLRs through an adapter, more enclosure over the electronics hanging out the back, as well as turn-on delays, monitor jack, signal-presence lamps, and other upgrades. The PS-series was intended to replace the D-series but the increase in price helped to maintain the D-series popularity and kept those in production nearly as long as the P-series.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Evening Sub, and BMWCC,

Much appreciated, Gentlemen. The little D45 arrived today, and I only wish ALL my amps were in the nice condition of this little amp! I'll test it, and the D150AII, in the next few days, when I drag out some speakers, about which I don't care much, so I don't damage my good speaks. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thread Information