Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tweeter options

tweeter options

hey guys
    ive tried everything to get my original 050 gold tweeters repaired. somehow it is not possible. the costs are way to high (i think) to get them fixed. (300 dollar a piece)
    I now have the 035 ti tweeter and its functioning well but it sounds kinda hars (how do you say it) a bit to agressive. It isnt the clean sound that was in my memories when i heard the century gold for the firt time.

tweeters are hardly found on Ebay. im looking for the
    050 gold, 052 Ti,44Ti.. are there any other options for me. wich tweeters are possible.?
    finally i have a pair of 604 8g's....there not easy to find in the netherlands

As I understand it, the 044Ti's are similar to the 035Ti's (except harder to get and more $$$$) so I wouldn't look there!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    As I understand it, the 044Ti's are similar to the 035Ti's (except harder to get and more $$$$) so I wouldn't look there!
    oke thnx

Jim DiFalco
    Not sure if you've seen these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7275&rd=1&rd=1

Bit pricey...

Have you tried to order from JBL?? Your best bet may be 050's. 044's will not fit without an exstensive baffle modification. You may be able to get 050 recone kits to work in the gold cores.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=14936

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Have you tried to order from JBL?? Your best bet may be 050's. 044's will not fit without an extensize baffle modification. You may be able to get 050 recone kits to work in the gold cores.

Rob
    yes ive tried but the cost is way to high. as i said its about 250,- minimum
    a piece.
    ther are some great tweeters out there that cost half of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DiFalco View Post
    Not sure if you've seen these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7275&rd=1&rd=1

Bit pricey...
    A bit pricey is the understatement of the year
    they dont look very different from the 035 Ti. the front looks metal instead of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Have you tried to order from JBL?? Your best bet may be 050's. 044's will not fit without an extensize baffle modification. You may be able to get 050 recone kits to work in the gold cores.

Rob
    I will contact them again to see if they heve a different recone set that will match. i dont care about the colour anymore so maybe they can give some options.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound View Post
    yes ive tried but the cost is way to high. as i said its about 250,- minimum
    a piece.
    ther are some great tweeters out there that cost half of that.
    It sounds to me like it might be time to pass these on to someone else then. I say that because these are especially rare and I could definitely see someone not batting an eye at putting $500 to $600 into repairing the original transducers. Current MSRP on those tweeters is $283 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    It sounds to me like it might be time to pass these on to someone else then. I say that because these are especially rare and I could definitely see someone not batting an eye at putting $500 to $600 into repairing the original transducers. Current MSRP on those tweeters is $283 each.
    so what you are telling me is that i should sell them ?
    and you think i can get a nice price for em.
    the term "not batting an eye"is new for me.

Obsolete
    Selling them is an option. It beats putting bad money into them. I have no idea if you can get a nice price for them. The are definitely a collectible. Not batting an eye means when you tell someone the price of something they get out their wallet without so much as a blink or even a squint. They are ready and willing to fund the endeavor regardless of cost.

Another option would be to build a new pair of boxes, maybe like the prototype floor standing version and use a different tweeter. That way you can keep the original boxes real nice for that day when a pair of 050's show up on eBay and you can buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Selling them is an option. It beats putting money into them. I have no idea if you can get a nice price for them. The are definitely a collectible. Not batting an eye means when you tell someone the price of something they get out their wallet without so much as a squint.
    well i havent thought about that untill now. i might be a good idea.
    so thank you for that.

You should buy the original tweeters and enjoy your speakers and when you get tired of them sell them at ebay you will definitely get what you invested and more

if you try to sell them with difrent tweeters you will not get a payback
    if you whant to sell them as thy are please let us know

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
    You should buy the original tweeters and enjoy your speakers and when you get tired of them sell them at ebay you will definitely get what you invested and more

if you try to sell them with difrent tweeters you will not get a payback
    if you whant to sell them as thy are please let us know
    im not planning on selling the speaker because they sound perfect for me.
    great accuracy, speed ,tight bass.. guitar music sounds really great.
    even with the wrong tweeter. so im upgrading them for myself. the cabinets are also scratched en the back plate is missing. when i bought them the terminals were broken of. it was a real shame. but i had to buy em.
    Im realy pleased with them now and its the best speaker i have owned so far. I will only get rid of them to replace them with some old jbl monitors.
    4343,4315,4345,4344 something like those

Century gold speakers are far better acoustically than any old monitor if you want slam buy a nice sub you will have to spend allot more if you want something better

just an opinion

Thread Information