Thread: New Project

New Project

As some of you know I sold the HR-1's and am rebuilding a pair of BBSM8's. I am happy to say we were successful finding a pair of replacement mid-range drivers for the 8's. I ordered a pair out of Finland yesterday.

I have decided to build a pair of subs using 2235H's. I seriously considered the 2245H's but want to get away from such huge cabs. The system will look like this when done.

The cabs will be 5 cubic feet each. What do you guys think of using this material for construction?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Ken are you asking if you should use floor material for sub cabinets???

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Ken are you asking if you should use floor material for sub cabinets???
    I know its unconventional but what is the most desirable attribute for a speaker cabinet? This stuff is damned expensive and not your run of the mill silent floor.

You should see this stuff. It's 1" 1/8" thick and is incredibly dense in construction with a very nice finish. I came across it while looking at 1" mdf. Wrap your knuckles on it and very little sound transfers throughout the sheet. Add bracing and.......well, call me crazy but I think it could be damned good?

It will hold a screw better than mdf. If dropped on a corner it won't split or crack. Far more solid than any plywood I have ever seen including high grade marine plywood.

Ken

Ken,

when I built my 4 cu ft subs for the 1500AL's I used well braced 1" mdf. They are as good as inert. Rock solid and vibration free. I can't see the point in using something more expensive unless you are crossing over far higher up and want to form complex shapes.

This is an engineered material for floor constuction to reduce noise. Won't most of the attenuation provided be out of band for a sub cabinet??

Rob

Ken,

You need alot more data.

ie how does it react to higher frequencies. Are the resonances hi or low Q?

MDF is far from a perfect material but better the devil you know than to don't know. Sometimes attempting to go one better actually makes things worse. I am sure you know what I mean.

That sandwich layer construction could give some very strange low-frequency absorption effects inside the cabinet. It would have good mid and high-frequency performance though.

You're better off with MDF and applying a damping layer & bracing internally.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    I have decided to build a pair of subs using 2235H's.
    Well I hate to see you backtracking Ken. At your level you probably should be using something like W1500H's. I wouldn't let the fact that they are hard to get stand in your way. Maybe a chat with Mr. Widget is in order. He might have some SUB1500's left. Ask him about his newest creations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky

The cabs will be 5 cubic feet each. What do you guys think of using this material for construction?

Ken
    If you go this route, you'll no doubt get some grief for going "outside the box" to make your box. However, it strikes me that it's in your nature to keep trying new things, so why not this, too? The result will either be worse, about the same, or better (though the probabilities are not necessarily even). Two of the three would be acceptable outcomes to me.

The recommended uses for home theater and sound studios is definitely encouraging. Did you read the white paper?

http://quietsolution.com/Multifamily...100504_scn.pdf

I'm sure you'll do a good enough job that you can turn them (sell them) to get your money back if need be, and someone will be happy with his new "Pachowsky enclosure" subs.

Conventional wisdom would say, "Don't do it," but Galileo, Columbus, the Wright Brothers, and Ghandi said, "I'm going to do it anyway." What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

Thanks

I appreciate all the constructive feedback. I will drop the idea of using this material.

I would love to used the 1500's but can't find any. Mr. W does not want to part with any of the ones he has left and I am not aware of any others.

Any other suggestion's?

Ken

Fair enough

I appreciate all the input guys. Back to MDF.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    I appreciate all the input guys. Back to MDF.

Ken
    im with the dome on this one ken.maybe cut the mdf at the same time to facilitate a backup plan but why not experiment.

Sub 1500 drivers

Does anyone have an extra pair of these they are willing to part with?

Please......

Ken

Thread Information