Thread: Moving Threads Down the Line

Moving Threads Down the Line

One of the benefits of having an active posting community is the attached result of threads moving down quickly and off the front posting page in a forum.

If we stop responding to pointless topics and provocative posts, these threads quickly fall off the radar. Considering the recent fur that went flying and the attendant furballs that were coughed up, I know it's hard not to to be provoked. Still, it seems like with the problem resolved, it'd be great to see the resulting thread go bye-bye.

Since a number of members are sensitive to outright censorship and deletion, is there a way (other than time) to facilitate a quick removal of such threads from the top page within a forum, especially once they're resolved?

In the Closet.

I would say that an easy resolve to dead topics, and a remove from front page, would be to put a Back Page link at the bottom of the front page of that thread area. Put them there, in the closet, and that is also an easy locate for people searching.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

The ones most problematic are deep-sixed. The others simply whither. We cannot devote time to what you suggest, and, in many instances, it might encourage more censorship criticism.

Ignore 'em. Members can double click on the icon for any thread or forum which marks them "read" - then maybe they won't bother you so much...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hell, Doug...

I should add that if you left it to us, many threads would be hit with Star Trek Phasers, pretty darn quick...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    If we stop responding to pointless topics and provocative posts, these threads quickly fall off the radar. Considering the recent fur that went flying and the attendant furballs that were coughed up, I know it's hard not to to be provoked.
    Unfortunately it isn't that simple. Take for example the recent "Colorations Thread" that was started by JBLRaiser. It was a thread whose topic I thought quite appropriate and interesting. I am not sure if you are putting this thread in your "I wish it would go away club", but I certainly think it was a thread that should stay. There certainly were posts there that were "pointless and provocative", but I don't think that some individual or group of individuals should have the power to wreck a thread to the point where we must eliminate it. Ideally we would self police ourselves... obviously that doesn't always work, but I think the tack suggested by jim campbell and implemented by Rob is a better approach.

Now if a thread about something as uninteresting as some of the low end plastic coated JBLs get wrecked.... that's another story.

All kidding aside, if you wanted to take one or all of your threads that you have created about some of those "plastic coated JBLs" and build a pruned down copy sans noise along the lines of Heather's 4341 Reference Thread http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=16493
    I think that would be quite a service to our community. The same applies to anyone who may have started a thread exploring a particular model or series of JBLs or Altecs. I think Heather's thread is exemplary. Take a look at her careful editing. She has pulled together facts and statistics along with comments and photos. I would actually love to see us build a section that is made of threads like that one. Once fully populated with tables and specifications from our other resources here along with the comments and photos of member's examples of the products, I think we would end up with another unique and useful component on this site. I don't even think those reference threads should be devoid of appropriate controversy... pro and con arguments about design and even aesthetic aspects of these systems should be included.

Widget

I wasn't a poster to that thread, but it would seem that if when someone basically tells you that you are to dumb for him to waste his time on and then continues to post to you, after saying he wouldn't because you couldn't possibly understand what he was talking about. Not responding back might be in order. Also, if that was how he came across in very many threads I'd suggest he find a forum where the people were a little brighter and could converse on his level and I'd help him not waste his time here any longer. If someone really has a mind to assault a forum, I don't think you can protect against it by changing format. Just my two cents. If it only happens every hundred years or so it may even be a good thing, if it leads to a little introspection. Just to make sure you're not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Not responding back might be in order.
    We tried that, both individually and as Group Moderator. It didn't work.

That was some larger-than-Forum obsessive-compulsive behavior. We weren't really involved - it went on, and probably now continues to elsewhere, irrespective of us. Some sorta Internet wormhole...?

Our duty is to spot them sooner, and get helm instructions to Scotty in-time...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

If there was a way to track him, there could be book on how long he lasts at a forum from the time he lands.

I probably should be embarrassed that I even took the time to write this but oh well.

Obsolete
    I vote we just leave him alone and stop antagonizing the situation. These things can escalate to places most people really don't want to go. You never know who you are dealing with or what they are capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    I vote we just leave him alone and stop antagonizing the situation. These things can escalate to places most people really don't want to go. You never know who you are dealing with or what they are capable of.
    Very true indeed!

Provoked

" I know it's hard not to to be provoked...."Yes, but a self enforced glimpse at a couple of concepts, MAY inhibit the "Bunch".....

1) Panties can ONLY bunch, IF you wear them.

2) An honest measure of a MAN, is the size of the "Thing" that bothers him. :shock:

3) Never argue with a "Fool".....They'll drag you DOWN to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thread Information