Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paragon vs TAD

enjoy_the_music

Paragon vs TAD

Hi guys

I have invested a bit of cash lately into TAD Exclusive 2401 Twin speakers and also the 2402's...currently in transit from Asia.

I've been checking out some Paragons, i am sure you've been asked before but how well do they play compared to more 'modern' designs like the TAD's?

or maybe how well do they play generally compared to more modern designs from the K2 range?

Tried to search in the forums...there seems to be a mixed reception to their performance.

Thanks in advance!

Richard

I'd be surprised if many people have heard both, they're pretty rare speakers. Maybe Merlin has or Joel over at PFM (if he's still there).

From what I have read the prices Paragons fetch reflects their iconic style rather than their sound quality and they are unlikely to be anywhere near as good as the Exclusives are reputed to be.

I had a friend who had one with LE15A's and the bass was real tight and constricted. There isn't much cabinet behind the woofer. I would imagine that the 154-C's were worse. He added 6 cubic feet behind each LE15A + a passive radiator and it came to life. That was one of the best playing set ups I've ever heard. He built a 500 square foot addition to his house just for that. I've never heard the TAD's but with that simple mod. the paragon became a monster and it's a gorgeous piece of furniture. But, factory straight, the bass is very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoy_the_music View Post
    I have invested a bit of cash lately into TAD Exclusive 2401 Twin speakers and also the 2402's...currently in transit from Asia.

I've been checking out some Paragons, i am sure you've been asked before but how well do they play compared to more 'modern' designs like the TAD's?
    This seems like a silly comparison to me. I have never heard the factory built TAD monitors, but I am quite familiar with the drivers and horns. I'd say that a far more appropriate comparison would be with JBL 4430/4435s. In this case I'd probably go with the TADs, but others may prefer the JBLs.

I think the Paragon is gorgeous, but fixing it's tubby sounding bass is only the beginning. It is a 60 year old design and it just isn't Hi-Fi by today's standards.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    The Paragon is not extended enough at both ends of bandwith....I replaced the 075 with 2405 and the 150-4 with LE15....also remember only the 375 & mid horn reflect off curved panel. If useing a TAD 4001or 376 instead of 375 reflecting off panel "full range" above 500hz it would be more effective. But overall the Paragon is easy on the eye, beautiful to look at but not a serious contender in todays speakers.
    Last edited by Maron Horonzakz; 05-17-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add 376

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    The Paragon is not extended enough at both ends of bandwith....I replaced the 075 with 2405 and the 150-4 with LE15....also remember only the 375 & mid horn reflect off curved panel. If useing a TAD 4001 instead of 375 reflecting off panel "full range" above 500hz it would be more effective. But overall the Paragon is easy on the eye, beautiful to look at but not a serious contender in todays speakers.
    Only the earliest paragons have 150-4's. If you have charts and graphs and such to show me wrong then I cant say much but the only complaint I've ever heard about 075's is either there were places you just couldn't sit or there was only one place you could enjoy them and I thought that it played off the round sound board on the paragon. I know the 375's did. I wouldn't remember strongly because I always loved that tweeter. It made most tapes unlistenable I figured the was a flaw in the tape system. If it's bandwidth is narrow why did it show hiss and such that lessor tweeters hid. At the time that slot tweeter came out they both listed the same high cut of . The slot listed a 7K low cut off and the sell point on the slot was pattern not range. Again I'm not proclaiming it better than these other named systems. I'm not familiar with them. A lot of people didn't like JBL systems of that era and you could be one of them. That doesn't mean you couldn't have other redeeming attributes. You might still be a very nice person.

There are a couple of things that would kill it today. They could fix the bottom end but it would be ungodly expensive. You would have to have a paler that you had decided against putting a piano in.

Richard,

The Paragon I heard was quite enchanting playing Nat Cole powered by an RCA 55 based S.E.T.

But Nat was probably it's limit.

I'd like to see a similar design for the 21st century, plasma eyed, style generation. With DSP and modern drive units, it could be quite interesting.

Maron Horonzakz
    Thom...about the Paragon..I have had three plus a Ebony Metrogon... You are the most misinformed person i ever met about this speaker....

overall the Paragon is easy on the eye, beautiful to look at but not a serious contender in todays speakers.
    makes one wonder if a return to the all in one console stereo systems of the sixties but with modern internals and speaker systems would catch on........think fine cabinetry,convenience,waf......

Thom...about the Paragon..I have had three plus a Ebony Metrogon... You are the most misinformed person i ever met about this speaker....
    Surely you don't disagree with me that it had 075 and 375. It then had 150-4c when that was JBL's big woofer and when they canceled that woofer and the LE15a became their big woofer it then got a LE15A. You may disagree with me on that, but it's in documents. The unit was made for years after the 150-4c was discontinued. If you know of an additional woofer, change maybe so. I'm unaware of it. You can't disagree with me about my friends modification. You weren't there. And as far as the sound, that is subjective so where am I misinformed? Someone should come along and slap me if I declared myself an expert on them, but I don't see where, from what I posted you can make that statement. Oh! The piano parlor bit. I just meant placing it is much more difficult than placing two smaller speakers. I can think of many places where two fairly large speakers would go that the paragon wouldn't work with. Doorways come to mind instantly. Now that they are building TV's with low profile screens that wouldn't be a problem but until very recently combining it with a big screen would have been difficult. If you have owned 3 you probably have had more exposure to them than I have, still just because yours had early woofers doesn't mean they always did. They were definitely designed so that the woofer was in a horn (or at least one of their writers thought so) although I don't know at what frequencies it was supposed to be effective because it didn't have much low end, and the mid horns were aimed at the curved board as much as they were to the front so you got reflected sound, Also mentioned in literature. I can't remember for sure about the 075's. And that makes me the most misinformed person about paragons you've ever met? If you say so, but I'd be interested in knowing which statement was the final one that made me the most. Sometimes that isn't that easy to achieve. I'm sure you can sort through and tell what's serious. I'm really not offended. not yet anyway. But aside from subjectively feeling way different about the 075 than you do. Where do you take issue.

Maron Horonzakz
    Thom...If you look in tech sheet for the Paragon you will find recommended speakers to be used for that unit....such as 376, 2440,2441, 2402. 136, 2215, etc, etc. You can also use the newer neo. series....Nothing is write-in in stone obout the Paragon....Even the outer cabinet assembly has different but suttle changes...You didnt Know the cabinet was of two inner & outer cabinet structures ? the horn assembly plus the final wood veneered dressed assembly...Left & right mirror copys...The center curved panel is made up of 1/8 laminated sheets glued together last layer has final veneer, Top edge hand veneered, & placed in a curved jig to cure over night, Lower skirt assembled & front wood legs installed....Did you know one of the front leg assemblys was cast in plaster & painted black. For a customer in St Louis? or another was (legs) Gold leafed...For a stage display in a disco bar? A Metrogon painted purple for a JBL dealer....This dealer had all of his speaker woofers & drivers painted purple as a personal trade mark from the JBL factory...Do you know where the front curved legs were carved at? (Paragon)? Gotta leave something for you to research. Do the research and report back in 24 hours....others on this forum dont help Thom..Let him search it out. You cant find everything in JBL litrature.
    Last edited by Maron Horonzakz; 05-18-2007 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Paragon updates

Maron

I never claimed to be an expert on it . If you look I claim quite the opposite. I should probably realized that since most JBL cabinets were available with whatever you wanted, it would be to. But, I believe for the greater part of it's offering the 4 letter designate JBL Drivers did not exist. What You are saying surprises me, as I was under the impression that those horns for the 375's were special for the paragon. I know when I was selling JBL (I never sold a paragon) I shouldn't say I know, I'm pretty sure it was listed as a unit loaded, even if it did come as a puzzle. If you want to be the paragon expert that's fine with me. It isn't a title I had a shot at even if you weren't. I was just relaying my listening experience. May I at least be allowed to be the expert of my listening experience or do you wish that title too. If it will make you happy and stop this one man pissing contest (I'm not competing) Then you can can be the expert of my listening experience as long as you don't expect me to clear all my post's through you first. Just out of curiosity, did you inspect each paragon before it left JBL? Sort of like the Haynes inspector, "They don't say JBL until I say they say JBL". Or how did you form such a personal bond with the Model? I'm going to stop now before the line is so far behind me that I can't see it any more. Do I remind you of the guy that ran over your dog or something? I really don't understand this at all. I haven't noticed other posts from you that would make me expect this except for a couple directed at myself. Did I offend you in a previous post? If I was rude or put you down (this post excluded) let me take the time to apologise now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you inspect each paragon before it left JBL? Sort of like the Haynes inspector, "They don't say JBL until I say they say JBL".
    Well, for the first few years of Paragon production, that was my job. As head of QC (not a particularly impressive title, since QC consisted of one person - me), it didn't go out the door till I said it did, plain and simple.

It would really piss Ray Pepe off, since he was trying to get Paragons into the homes of important people, and if I kept it from going out the door, I could count on him storming into the shipping area with murder in his eye.

He'd demand to know why I wouldn't release it, and inspect every blemish that I found. Then he'd try to badger me into passing it anyway. When that didn't work, he'd just walk away disgusted.

If Ray tried to overrule me thru Bill Thomas or Ed May, they'd always side with me, which pissed Ray off even more. I tried not to gloat. At the end of the day, Ray knew I was protecting our reputation for excellence.

God, I loved that place; we were really a family, in every sense of the word.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    That's a great story Harvey!

"protecting our reputation for excellence" -- wish more folks did that (or had people to really do it) in their businesses today

thanks for sharing....

OH,So Harveys to Blame

Now I understand why JBL only manufactured and released only a thousand or so Paragons.

Without Harvey saying "NO" there might have been a million produced .

Harvey,did you also inspect the commercial Paragons that were meant for installs?

Oldmics

Thread Information