Thread: My First Post (aka: questions, questions...)

maxjax

My First Post (aka: questions, questions...)

Well here goes my first post to what appears to be a first class collection of collecters. I've read much here and admired from afar but now it's time to jump in and share my lack of knowledge (but interest) with the experts.
    I've recently taken possession of a mono system my dad created back in the 50's. It's comprised of a Heathkit W-5M amp, pre-amp, and AM tuner that drive a D-130 and 075 tweeter in an Electro-Voice Regency (folded horn) cabinet. The crossover is also an Electro-Voice spec'd at 3500hz. The cabinet was built from plans he purchased and is made of solid birch. A matching birch entertainment center contains the electronic components. Everything is MINT-MINT as we kids were never allowed to touch any of it. I have all of the original literature including sales receipts and personal notes created during the build-up. (A nuclear engineer in the 50's working on follow-up activities to the Manhattan project always kept meticulous records!).
    So fast forward to the new Millenium...
    I've got this equipment that has collector value and apparently accoustical value as well and I plan to duplicate (with improvements) the components and speaker cabinet to get the stereo sound we desire today. I have no knowledge of what to expect with sound quality but am hopeful that with the help of you forum "brothers", I can make the most of what I have.
    So here's what we have to work with:
    2 - D130's (1 orig, 1 recent purchase getting reconed w/JBL kit)
    2 - 2440's w/new 2441 diaphragms (both recent purchase)
    1 - 075 tweeter (1 orig, 1 recent purchase - has red wax plug on back of magnet - what's that all about?)
    1 - Heathkit W-5M tube amp and pre-amp
    1 - Carver CT-7 pre-amp/tuner
    1 - Hafler 220 amp
    I'll be needing help selecting best crossovers and am considering an electronic crossover as I think the Hafler 220 could drive the D130's, while the W-5M's (one still needed) drive the 2440's and 075's. I'm also considering a slightly different tweeter (2405's?) due to their extended range and imaging.

I think I'll stop here and solicit your input/direction now. Thanks for your consideration and thoughts. I look forward to engaging in dialog with you and exploring the many possibilities achievable with this great equipment. Thanks - Max.

Hey, maxjax - welcome!

I'll take a kick at the can...

You wouldn't do too wrong going after a modified 4333A. You've a slightly different LF and MF, but you might appease the gods through your network choice...

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4331a_4333a.pdf
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Re: My First Post (aka: questions, questions...)

Welcome to the forum, maxjax

I thought the EV Regency was a two-way system?

Is this the speaker you are talking about?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    16 Hz can not be substituted

second info

the original components

maxjax
    Yep, the EV Regency, that's the one! A folded-horn Klipsch design that's a quasi corner horn. Somewhat unique I think in that it's also intended to function well when against a flat wall. I have the build plans and will be creating a second one to go with the one I have. I of course, plan to refinish the original such that they both match.

The unit I have contains a D130 and 075. I've picked up a couple of 2440's with new 2441 diaphrams and think it would be a nice addition to make a second short (~9") cabinet that sits atop the Regency. This enclosure would contain the 2440 and would have the same cross-section periphery (from a plan view) so as to match the Regencies footprint and appearance. I'm unsure of the effects of the vertical centerline placement of the 3 drivers and of having the tweeter placed between the woofer and midrange. I have a couple of 2308 lenses coming and am still looking for a set of 2311 or H93 2" horns.

Crossovers: Well, I'm leaning heavily toward bi-amping the system and could use a 2 channel active crossover coupled with a passive crossover for the 075's. Something such as the Rane AC22B, DBX 223, or JBL M552 coupled with the N7000/3105. I suppose I could tri-amp, but that would mean picking up even more amps and even more money. At some point my wife might think this an overkill.

So... thanks for posting the EV brochure and the JBL brochure link. Sorry, I'm not sure at this point how to post a reply to an individual, but with time I'll learn. Once again, I look forward to our dialog. Thanks, Max.

Originally posted by maxjax

The unit I have contains a D130 and 075. I've picked up a couple of 2440's with new 2441 diaphrams and think it would be a nice addition to make a second short (~9") cabinet that sits atop the Regency. This enclosure would contain the 2440 and would have the same cross-section periphery (from a plan view) so as to match the Regencies footprint and appearance. I'm unsure of the effects of the vertical centerline placement of the 3 drivers and of having the tweeter placed between the woofer and midrange. I have a couple of 2308 lenses coming and am still looking for a set of 2311 or H93 2" horns.

Crossovers: Well, I'm leaning heavily toward bi-amping the system and could use a 2 channel active crossover coupled with a passive crossover for the 075's. Something such as the Rane AC22B, DBX 223, or JBL M552 coupled with the N7000/3105. I suppose I could tri-amp, but that would mean picking up even more amps and even more money. At some point my wife might think this an overkill.

Why you want to add the 075? It makes not really a sense, because the 2441 have a frequency range from 500Hz to 18kHz. But the 075 goes up to 15kHz.

Either you should do without the tweeter or insert the 2405 (up to 21,5kHz).

The employment of the crossover 3105 is a good idea. For the active separation I recommend the employment of the Urei 5235A (cheap and evective). Cutoff 800-1000 Hz.

Ralf
    Last edited by Ralf; 02-05-2004 at 05:31 AM.

maxjax
    Thanks Ralf,
    You know sometimes it's the "simple things" that get ya. I've had it in my mind for some time now to use the 075's that when I picked up the 2441's I just wasn't thinking about the applicability of the them. I'm now looking for a nice set of 2405's. Any benefit/drawback to running both 2405's and 075's? Also, I recently picked up a second 075 that has the screw in the middle of the back. Why is that? My "original" from 1957 doesn't have that feature. Incidentally, the 075 recently purchased still has the red wax plug (w/L) in the hole along with the red wax plugs on the front screw locations.

The screw in the middle of the back is used to clamp the bullet or wedge on to the diaphragm of the 075/2402 or 077/2405. They all have them. They are usually concealed by the label. Unfortunately red wax seals and apparently unaltered labels do not guarantee original diaphragms or a lack of tampering. In replacing the diaphragm in either of these drivers care must be taken not to let the bullet/wedge twist in reassembly as it will wrinkle the diaphragm.

As for using both 075 and 077 in one speaker... why would you want to do that? I would use the 077/2405 and send the 075s off to someone who likes vintage stuff or needs to count railroad cars.

maxjax
    Yes Mr. Widget, that shall be my plan. The 2405's are on their way and the 075's, well in another 20 years I'll let my son figure out what to do with them.
    I'm still unsure of the best approach for the x-overs. Vintage, new, passive, active...
    My reading here on the forum has led me to think I should look for something like 800/10k. Your thoughts?

Charley Rummel

Welcome Aboard, Maxjax!

I have an Electrovoice Regency folded horn enclosure with an Altec 604-C inside. It serves as the front/center speaker in the 5-channel system in my sound room. At present I'm driving it with a modified Bogen DB-20 mono tube amp (6L6GC in push-pull). Sound is incredible.

Over the years, I've seen the Regency enclosures turn up with many different configurations of drivers. It goes to show how versitile that enclosure really is.

Again, welcome aboard and kind regards,
    Charley

Regency's !!!

I would like to share the journey with you... I am in possesion of a set of T350's, a set of T25A's, a set of SP15A's, a set of X8 cross overs, and a set of X36 XO's. From some of the liturature I have seen those are the upgrade parts for an all EV top end Regency. But no plans for building the Regency boxes. Currently the drivers are in a set of home made cabinets that don't sound too bad. But they are very large with an extra SP15A in each cab.

What would it take to get a copy of those plans? I don't have any of my own kids, buttt... I do have step children! And the oldest can drive and has a job! Think about it, someone to help around the house and make rent money off of.

Thread Information