Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality Check please ;)

Reality Check please ;)

Hello folks...

As I alluded to in my first post here, I have a "vintage" but I think pretty darned nice system, and am a semi serious, but only modestly obsessed audiophile. My question is this... I have an every increasing tower of audio gear between my 2 channel gear and some HT additions. The thought occasionally occurs to me (and I know this has been debated since just after Edison cut his first cylinder), would I be likely to notice a loss of quality ditching my currently six foot tall rack O' gear and buying a single high end receiver? Although I think I have a feeling I know the likely answer, I've been out of the marketplace for a while and this seems like a damned good down to earth group to ask... thanks for anyone who takes the time to reply.

Re: Reality Check please ;)

Originally posted by PaulB
    My question is ... would I be likely to notice a loss of quality ditching my currently six foot tall rack O' gear and buying a single high end receiver?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL... a picture is worth a thousand words... ty

We've gone around on this issue "plenty times" here. There is no easy solution, and maintain top-of-shelf HiFi. From what I know, many run two systems - the bone chilling 2-channel HiFi and the 5.1 (or other...) bone rattling HT. Then some try a modified approach.

I think many here would love to find a nice pre-amp with switchable option: 2.0 and 5.1. Otherwise you end-up with redundant (and potentially dangerous ) redundancies, and too many separate gains (and remotes...). So far, all 5.1's I've tasted do awful things in the pre-amp stage - all sorta unnessesary processing, IMO. Simply ruins it.

I've settled in to running 2.0 with 4345's as the front (and a golf course for the rears... ) for both HiFi and HT. When those 2245H's get the floor and your chest involved, there ain't much "surround sound" missing...

I know Giskard has invested heaps of energy and seeking a solution - maybe he'll pitch-up and share his insight...
    Last edited by boputnam; 02-03-2004 at 03:03 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

sighhhhhhhhhhhh... but the new receivers are so sexy...and have a very high blinky light coefficient. But, it's about what I thought was the case. I too use my 4343's for HT fronts, as well as my Crown equip and they certainly are overachievers. BTW, I've noticed a few folks here post pictures of their systems like proud parents so thought I'd do the same, hope that's not inappropriate...

The problem with this group is now you guys having me browsing all kinds of JBL Google listings, auctions and audio sites again... grrrrrrrr... cmon Lotto, come to Papa.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ouchhhhhhhhh... now that's cruel Giskard, just cruel... I actually looked at that link... 107 thou??? sighhhh. The HK receiver was actually one of the ones I was considering. Free? Free??? Well, I get free power tools by the bushel basket so I guess I can't complain. On second thought, yeah... I can

Originally posted by PaulB
    I've noticed a few folks here post pictures of their systems like proud parents so thought I'd do the same, hope that's not inappropriate...
    Completely inappropriate.

And, if that's the crap you're using for 2.0, well then you, in-particular, would realize a big improvement with 5.1 HT blinky-light processor. Now, I think I can get my trailer over to your place in record time and make plenty room for the pending delivery of the 5.1...

Nice rig, dude!

And, Giskard - when you run the fronts only, for 2.0, what do you drive it with? Just use the HT through the fronts, or...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

LOL... ty Bo, you Master of the animatronic icon.

Originally posted by Giskard
    I use an old Citation 21 preamp and Citation 22 power amp for two-channel stereo. I use another Citation 22 power amp out of the AVR for subs.
    Sorry, dude - so close to the fire I get excited...

How do you "switch" from 2.0 to 5.1 - are there parallel inputs on the Citation 22 (driving the 4430's)? I gotta think about this...

...or, do you keep the 2.0 as-is, and then merely run the H/K for the rears? If so, how do you split the signal into the H/K and Citation 21?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Tom Loizeaux

PaulB

That's a very pretty pair of 4343s! Nice finish, original cloth and even original nameplates!
    What amps do you drive the 4343s with?

Though I've come to accept 5.1 for movie viewing, I am still a believer in simple, 2 channel stereo for serious music listening. To me, a high quality 2 channel system leaves very little to wish for...other then even higher quality!

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 02-03-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Hey, PaulB...

Look here: http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...&threadid=1639

As I said, we go 'round about this not infrequently. Some interesting stuff, here, and if you're independently wealthy (or the wifey goes on seperate holiday...) that Accuphase CX-260 suggestion by WHG looks tops... (but I simply do not understand the merits nor reasoning behind summing the 6 line-amplifiers when in stereo. Seems overly complicated, and I would think could raise the noise floor - but I'm not overly schooled on these things...).
    Last edited by boputnam; 02-03-2004 at 07:28 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks Tom... I'm the original owner of those beauties and aside from a very small ding on one edge from moving they're like the day I got em. Damn nameplates keep coming off the pins, I don't know how many times I've epoxied them on. Other than that I reconed both woofers. I drive them with biamped Crown DC300As with a Behringer crossover. Yeah I had read the earlier thread about the surrond preamps Bo, so I guess my only solution is... build a bigger rack to hold more gear

Tom Loizeaux
    PaulB,
    Please tell me more about how the 4343 nameplates were originally mounted.
    I'm going to be putting nameplates on my 4343s and I thought they were simply glued to the grille cloth. I was going to try double-sided foam tape first. If that doesn't keep them on, then I was going to try some kind of glue, probably starting with hot glue and then work my way up to more serious stuff. I'm concerned that serious glues will permantly marr the grille cloth - which is original on my pair of 4343s.
    Any suggestions?

Tom

Tom...
    On mine, there're small "L" shaped black metal pieces tacked to the inside edge of the frame with a very small hole drilled. The nameplates have a pin on the back identical to what a tie tack would have which was originally affixed with a piece of heavy clear vinyl tape that dries out, hence the epoxy. The pin passes through the hole and is retianed by a button again identical to a tie tack. If this isn't cealr, please let me know and I'll be lgad to forward some photos. As I mentioned I have all the original brochures etc if it's helpful to anyone out there... Best Wishes.

Yea, Tom, they're just like the 4345's.

As PaulB sez, the nameplate has two metal pins mounted to it (about a foot apart on the 4345's), that pierce the grill cloth and go through holes in the metal tangs that hang from the top of the grill (behind the cloth). Tie-tack like snuggers slip over the pins, behind the metal tangs.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information