Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a Paragon

Obsolete
    I think I would be inclined to try the felt lining as described.
    In fact, recalling the few times I've sat and listened to stock Paragons, I know I would try it.
    Take it back out if you think it sucks.

Smile felt lining

As a paragon owner I think I will try the lining & report back my impressions. Just what kind of lining? A thin 1/4" felt or accoustic foam? Probably not fiberglass as this would add virtual volume. Gotta get those 2234s in there sometime too. Also wonder what
    077 diaiphragms would do for the 075s.
    Stephen C.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Hi:

Your findings will be interesting.

Why not try 077/2405's?

Alex.

Maron Horonzakz
    whgeiger........You dont need to PONTIFICATE to me. Nore do you need to blow smoke rings. At least I use my real name. I stated the PARAGON does NOT need padding. But if you need DEPENDS Go ahead.

Obsolete

Re: Who's Monkey?

Yeah, I have to say that I don't care much for that post either Maron. In fact, I dislike it even more than some of my own!

On the other hand, I personally think the Paragon needs to be completely covered with a couple of wet moving blankets but that's just my personal opinion

D'oh!

Hope this helps!

Maron Horonzakz
    Giskard ......I do agree the PARAGON would sound better covered with a wet blanket....I stated in a earlyer post that its a poor STEREO system . Only the mid range 375 uses the curved panel. & the 075 tweeter will bore a hole between your eyes.

I don't get the reference to "monkey", but anyway...

Originally posted by whgeiger
    The tack your taking here is called "name dropping".
    I think you're wrong, there.

This is about as close most come to referencing relevant literature. A few go to greather lengths, citing date, journal, etc., but not many. IMO Maron's intent was merely to convey that he had done some due diligence research, and solicited input not only from JBL, but also from some erudite names in industry.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

LOL... well, this thread sure has taken an interesting few turns. While I don't have the scholarly knowledge of speaker systems that many here do, I have more than a layperson's knowledge of high end sound systems, and a very extensive knowledge of another very subjective art form, photography. My observation has been that in both fields, what is technically precise is often not what is esthetically pleasing, witness the digital vs film debates, not to mention the vinyl/tube vs CD/solid state debates. I've owned speakers more "accurate" than my 4343's and didn't like them at all. Besides which, as was pointed out, this presupposes that the original design of something as complex as a speaker or lens is without flaw. I agree wholeheartedly with the approach of...try it and see if you like it, what's the worst that can happen? You remove it and learn a lesson... Isn't a large part of the fun trying new things and seeing the result?
    Just my two cents...OK, a nickle...

Wow I am surprised there is nothing in the box?? Oh well. If I had one I would give the felt a whirl you can always take it out. It would give me an excuse to break the seal! Like I need one?

Rob

Maron Horonzakz
    It would be wise to do the tweeking on just one side of the PARAGON . That way you you have a comparison reference. While the back is open does anybody have a 2234/2235 woofer he can borrow. nows the time to put the PARAGON to some real upgrades.

Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
    While the back is open does anybody have a 2234/2235 woofer he can borrow. nows the time to put the PARAGON to some real upgrades.
    I'm pretty sure that you would not upgrade the Paragon by
    replacing with a 2235. You would in fact degrade it's performance significantly! It's simply too compliant to be used as
    a piston in a horn. The 2235 was designed and performs at it's
    very best in a bass reflex type of box.

- my 2cents, cheers

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Hi:

How about an E145?, that looks closer to the original criteria, IMHO of course, (I donīt want to get blasted).

Alex.

To line or not to line...

Twenty or more years ago I built a pair of Belle Klipsch clones. I tried them with a JBL 2220, a cheapo Eminence, and the actual Klipsch K33. I tried them both lined with egg crate foam and fiberglas and unlined. Ultimately I went with the K33 unlined. I guess Mr. BS, knew something about his speakers anyway.

As for the Paragon, I have no idea why they would horn load an LE15A, but I think I would try a 150-4C, K145, or E145 (in that order)

Just a reminder - ad hominem attacks are not allowed on this forum. You are free to criticize any statement, opinion or assessment, but stay clear of personal insults.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

whgeiger

Monkey Buzz!

Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
    whgeiger........You dont need to PONTIFICATE to me. Nore do you need to blow smoke rings. At least I use my real name. I stated the PARAGON does NOT need padding. But if you need DEPENDS Go ahead.
    Facts:

1) I see you are still trying to pass your monkey.
    2) The tack now is ad hominem. What a surprising turn of events!
    3) Responding here certainly is not a religious experience, so pontificating is out of the question!
    4) Do not smoke; so will leave drug sucking and ring blowing to you.
    5) My name is given with initials and particulars were provided during registration to this forum. The only thing here that is unreal, are the bogus assertions you make to feed your monkey.
    6) Your pros, including the upper case shouts, are boringly repetitive and unsubstantiated by the facts of the matter.
    7) Again, it is your monkey. If you do not like your monkey, then throw it back in the dumpster where you found it.

WHG

Thread Information