Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4333 / S300 / L300 equivalent bandbass circuit

Click here to see the "network" page of the S3100mkII tech sheet, in jpg form.

Here's the full 2 page pdf.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Earl!

[Jeez, NOTCH city, that one.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    [ Jeez, NOTCH city, that one.... ]
    - Yeh,,,, IMO; it's quite representative of JBLs' evolved network-design philosophies, as found in their SOTA systems ( the compression driver types ) .

- It's good reading to compare the original S3100 network with that of this S3100mkII .

- One can learn to design with series LCRs, if one studies the design lessons laid-out in the Band-Pass Filter thread in Project May . The last time I looked, all the pertinant information was still buried within those threads . Fine work was done by Giskard and the Widget on that bandpass section ! I think it would be best to imbed those fomulas into an Excel spreadsheet to keep the "brainfreeze" to a minimum .

Capacitors are charge coupled and bypassed as well.

David

The Project May Bandpass filter thread seems to be locked out for casual readers - thats a shame. I suspect I might learn quite a bit in there ... sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    - Yeh,,,, IMO; it's quite representative of JBLs' evolved network-design philosophies, as found in their SOTA systems ( the compression driver types ) .

- It's good reading to compare the original S3100 network with that of this S3100mkII .

- One can learn to design with series LCRs, if one studies the design lessons laid-out in the Band-Pass Filter thread in Project May . The last time I looked, all the pertinant information was still buried within those threads . Fine work was done by Giskard and the Widget on that bandpass section ! I think it would be best to imbed those fomulas into an Excel spreadsheet to keep the "brainfreeze" to a minimum .
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi Heather,

PM Don McR. and ask him to grant you access to that forum .

Charged capacitors

Hi Giskard.

Some times ago, i decided to make a charged filter for my speakers, i have ordred the components, so i gues next week they will be running with this
    I meet some people who said it was a really nice thing to do. Sounds great, but coud not tell me the difference.
    It seems you know a lot about lot, so what do you mean about this ?
    My config is 077, LE104, 2123H and 2243H with at NAD S300 for the top and a home build brigded 300W amp for the 2243, Active x-over.

The 4344 MK2 is factory build with charged caps, and if it sound so great, why hasīnt more speakers been built with this ? Cost ?

Regards, Anders
    ABJ Denmark

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ABJ View Post
    The 4344 MK2 is factory build with charged caps, and if it sound so great, why hasīnt more speakers been built with this ?
    In a phone conversation about a year ago Greg wondered the exact same thing. He really didn't know why biasing capacitors hadn't caught on. A few weeks ago he finally got around to biasing the network in his 880 Array center channel and said the result was a marked improvement. I'm currently building five biased networks for Tannoy DC's. They are replacing JBL 4406's in a mini 5.1 HT setup.

Obsolete

bi-amping L300's

As per a PM today here is the schematic for bi-amp only L300's, S300's and 4333's.

I personally would bias (charge couple) them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

L300/4333 x-over

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Here is the schematic.

It's voltage drive is a dead ringer for the original voltage drive as measured on December 16th, 1975.

Most of the components are available from Parts Express. The LF inductor is the 14 gauge perfect layer wound air core. For those who like the signature JBL bass hump at ~ 30 Hz you may need to tune the enclosure up a couple of Hz. All the MF inductors are the 18 gauge perfect layer wound air cores.
    Hi
    I was just wondering what the x-over point are? and are all drivers meant to be 16ohm or 8 ohm?
    Several people seem happy with this combo, so I think I will try to build it.
    Vern

L300 Crossover

I have built this crossover and all my drivers are 8 ohm. Do I have to change anything? Odd

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Here is the schematic.

It's voltage drive is a dead ringer for the original voltage drive as measured on December 16th, 1975.

Most of the components are available from Parts Express. The LF inductor is the 14 gauge perfect layer wound air core. For those who like the signature JBL bass hump at ~ 30 Hz you may need to tune the enclosure up a couple of Hz. All the MF inductors are the 18 gauge perfect layer wound air cores.

Crossovers are designed to work into a certain load. What happens with a particular change in any particular situation may be a little unpredictable, since most crossovers are tweeked empirically after the math is all done. The 2405/077 tweeters are all about 10 or 12 ohms, whether they are labeled 16 or 8--it doesn't matter--they are all the same. The crossover is designed for that, so you are ok there. It might be worth your while to get 16 ohm diaphragms for your 2420's. The difference in impedance will likely effect a change in the high pass and low pass crossover frequencies for the horn. Getting new diaphragms of the impedance the crossover is designed for will be a whole hell of a lot easier than redesigning the crossover.

Assuming an 8 ohm nominal value for the 2231A/H or 136A/H at crossover point, could one sub in the 2235H or other woofer (like a 2245?) if the impedence were similar?

I would also assume the Zoebel may have to be adjusted if the woofer coil inductance is different.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Hi Bart.

2235H? I thought that was the current L300 replacement suggestion.

In general, I would think the answer to your question is: it depends...

A nearly matching impedance (curve) is not necessarily
    sufficient (sensitivity, power handling, audio frequency response, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Hi Bart.

2235H? I thought that was the current L300 replacement suggestion.

In general, I would think the answer to your question is: it depends...

A nearly matching impedance (curve) is not necessarily
    sufficient (sensitivity, power handling, audio frequency response, ...)
    Hi Grumpy,

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Since the 2231 is less available than the 2235, or for those whose L300/4333x's have had the 2235 already subbed in, since JBL specifies the 2235 as the 2231 replacement, the differences are probably small, or are positive enough to be an acceptable replacement.

If someone is rebuilding the L300/4333 with new crossovers, I'd hope there are some acceptable options for the woofer, within reason. But I also agree that assuming any 15 inch JBL driver as a replacement would likely be acceptable or appropriate would be wishful thinking and likely require some re-engineering of the crossover system.

I raised the 2245 question in case someone is thinking about somehow using that in a different size box but otherwise keeping the mid/high end intact. However, on second thought, probably need to move over to the 4343/4344/4345 type crossovers as a starting or end point.

I can see now why the L400 would have been such a dificult project.

Bart
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Thread Information