Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FORUM UPGRADE to vBulletin® Version 3.6.6

FORUM UPGRADE to vBulletin® Version 3.6.6

Hi All

- Around 6:15 pm (EST) yesterday the sites' software was updated .

- The net result ? ( for my browsing experience )

(i) A loss of all the "shortcut" features in the editing window ( usually used when creating or editing a post ) .
    - IMG, URL and Smilie insertion have all been lost ( through this shortcut method ).

- Luckily, I know enough formatting in the "html" language to bypass this loss .

- So , I won't be "upgraded" into oblivion quite yet.

(ii) & Yes, I realise that it's all my fault for wanting to save the environment by refusing to dump my ( far from ) "useless" computers into the landfills when dictated to by Bill G. or Steve J.

<> Earl K ( Iconoclastic to the core )

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi All
    - Around 6:15 pm yesterday the sites' software was updated .
    - The net result ? ( for my browsing experience )
    (i) A loss of all the "shortcut" features in the editing window ( usually used when creating or editing a post ) .
    - IMG, URL and Smilie insertion have all been lost ( through this shortcut method ).
    - Luckily, I know enough formatting in the "html" language to bypass this loss .
    - So , I won't be "upgraded" into oblivion quite yet.
    (ii) & Yes, I realise that it's all my fault for wanting to save the environment by refusing to dump my ( far from ) "useless" computers into the landfills when dictated to by Bill G. or Steve J.
    <> Earl K ( Iconoclastic to the core )
    If there are browser features that you are lacking, and you haven't already tried them, Firefox/Thunderbird work nicely.

Minimum System Requirements
    • 233 Mhz processor
    • 64 MB of RAM
    • 50 MB of free disk space
    • Microsoft Windows 98
    • PowerPC G3 processor
    • 128 MB of RAM
    • 75 MB of free disk space
    • Mac OS X 10.2.x
    John Nebel

Earl

What browser and version are you using? I see no problems in IE7 or Firefox 2. As a quick fix, you can go into user CP and change you editor settings to the standard editor instead of WYSISYG which you are currently defaulted on. HTML is actually turned off for messages, although BB code is available for manual coding.

The upgrade was strictly a security patch with supposedly no changes to functionality. I am in the process of trying upgrade Photopost for the same reason, but am having difficulties so that it is currently unavailable and will remain so for the next little while.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

thanks.

Thanks for all your hard work Don
    Rich

Those are pretty modest system requirements by today's standards, but I think Earl's still driving an old Mac with OS 9 on it. (?)

I have to admit, I've still got a couple of desktop Macs doing the same thing, one at 7.5.1 so I can still use QuickDraw GX. But this 17" PowerBook is right at 10.4.9. There are a few bits of software that run in 9.1 that I just enjoy using, and, as Earl wrote, those old computers are far from useless even today. It's amazing what they accomplish with far fewer resources required. (Just like some older JBLs I guess.)

At the same time, John and Don, thanks for keeping us up to date.

Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nebel

* PowerPC G3 processor
    * 128 MB of RAM
    * 75 MB of free disk space
    * Mac OS X 10.2.x
    - Doug has it correct .

- I'm on a G3 Mac, running System 9.2 .

- Until yesterday this web site was completely System 9 "friendly" / now / it's only partially friendly .
    - No biggy, as mentioned up top, as long as the editor window still opens ( & places ) a post , I'm still good to go .

- FWIW;

(i) I won't be buying a new computer ( to have OS-X ) solely to access this site.

(ii) Ebay earlier this year (2007) , must have recoded their search engines to again work properly ( as they did 5 years ago ) for those of us still using Legacy Systems & Browsers.

(iii) AOL did something similar last year when they recoded access to their webmail portal , essentially "reallowing" users to pick up their mail with "Classic" systems.

(iv) So obviously, I'd like to get my hands on the coders at Jelsoft / wipe the snot off their faces & then give them a good spanking ( young punks that they are / & yes, I think this "constant forced march of upgrading" is actually a generation issue , hiding behind a "hitech smokescreen" . )

Earl K

ps : And as Doug noted ;

- John and Don, thanks for keeping us up to date.

(i) I won't be buying a new computer ( to have OS-X ) solely to access this site. ...
    Shocker...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hi.

- Doug has it correct .

Earl K

ps : And as Doug noted ;

- John and Don, thanks for keeping us up to date.
    Ok - so its a mid-to-late 90s computer ... hmm.
    Being able to do the internet at all must be a real hoot.
    I can imagine there are lots of win-only sites that are pretty much useless for ya.

I'm late to the plate as a mac-head - I grew up with DOS and Windos, but got tired of the annual wipe and reinstall process so I dropped all that junk a few years ago for OS X on a used G4 dual 1.25 powerMac - I'm not running the latest or greatest hardware either (tho we are running 10.4.9) - but we do run Firefox 2.0.0.3

Yesterday's upgrade was transparent to me - I didn't even know anything changed until I saw the posts about it.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

[quote=Earl K;168791]Hi.

Earl K

The Blue and White G3 desktop will run OS X. OS X will run OS 9 applications just fine.

There is a startling improvement from OS 9 to OS X.

The Classic Environment

The Classic compatibility environment (or simply, Classic environment) makes it possible for Mac OS 9 applications to run unmodified in a Mac OS X system. Active development for the Classic environment is discouraged; however, developers with existing Mac OS 9 programs can read this section to understand the environment and its integration with the rest of Mac OS X.
    Overview of the Classic Environment

The Classic environment is called a “software compatibility” environment because it enables Mac OS X to run applications built for Mac OS 9.1 or 9.2. The Classic environment is not intended to be a development environment. If you want to write programs to run in Mac OS X, you should always do so using the supported application environments described in “Application Environments.”
    The Classic environment is not an emulator; it is a hardware abstraction layer between an installed Mac OS 9 System Folder and the Mac OS X kernel environment. Because of architectural differences, applications running in the Classic environment do not share the full advantages of the kernel environment. For example, they do not enjoy the benefits of memory protection and preemptive multitasking. Thus, if an application crashes or hangs in the Classic environment, it could take the whole environment down with it, forcing a restart. Luckily, it is only the Classic environment that has to be restarted, not the Mac OS X system that acts as its host.
    John Nebel

Quote Originally Posted by John Nebel View Post
    There is a startling improvement from OS 9 to OS X.
    FWIW, John Nebel prefers and works on Mac.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    FWIW, John Nebel prefers and works on Mac.
    Yep, I'm having a dandy time listening to 18th c. music through 21st c. speakers (JBL 6332) photographing 2nd c. (BC) coins. A Mac is running the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Nebel

I have not noticed anything after the upgrade. Using 2.4Ghz Intel Duo, Windows XP (with all updates) and IE7.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nebel View Post
    Yep, I'm having a dandy time listening to 18th c. music through 21st c. speakers (JBL 6332)...
    Yea, and your "listening room" is unequalled for that. Astonishing quality gear; expert deployment...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I noticed no difference even after I saw the post. I'm running OS 10.3.9 on a G4 Powerbook. I recently upgraded my littlest daughter's iMac SE-DVD (Graphite CRT model) to run OSX (10.3.9) so she could run Firefox, with no problem. If that can run OSX, then certainly your G3 can! The jump to OSX is so nice I killed Classic on all our family machines. If it won't run on OSX, I don't need it. (Tripped over an old PowerPC Mac today in the storage building. I think there are two original all-in-one Macs in there somewhere, too. I believe the original cardboard box the 128k machine came in is currently worth more than the upgraded computer!)

Firefox is the way to go!

I won't be buying a new computer...
    Yeah, but you are still into dual mono instead of that newfangled "Stereo" thingy...

Actually when it comes to computers I agree with you. Try signing up for Apple Care with an OS 9. system... as far as the benevolent anti Microsoft Apples are concerned legacy doesn't exist. This machine is also only a few months old and is running 10.4.9 and that's fine, but I too have a couple of older Macs...

It has been convenient that MS has been so slow to roll out Vista... it has kept my XP machines current... I expect a few problems with them down the road when Vista becomes the standard.

Widget

Thread Information