Thread: I have searched - really I have. Looking for placement info for 43xx's

I have searched - really I have. Looking for placement info for 43xx's

In anticipation of taking delivery of a pair of 4344's, I was reading the complete technical threads for both the 4343 to 4344 upgrade and the 4344 and somewhere in there (I think Ian brought it up) there was a link to a factory manual for the larger monitors which recommended the 2405's be placed on the outside vs inside and the thread went on to explain why.
    For the life me, I can't locate this little gem again and if someone can point me to it, I'd be greatful.
    It also made recommendations as to maximum amount of toe in when setting up the bigger monitors...
    Cheers
    Mark

You want the 2405's at your seated ear height. Inside or out depending on preference. I have mine on the outside. So up of the floor a bit. I built stands for mine a few years back. Helps to get the 2235 up a bit as well. Toe in is adjustable as needed with distance and seperation. More or less like any other speaker.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I was just reading an old thread about your 1400 DIY's...Thanks for the input.I recall from that elusive thread that there were clear technical reasons for putting the 2405's on the outside and limiting the toe in but I cant recall the limit on this - I think it was 10-15 deg....It had to do with how the 2405 and the horn interacted..CheersMark

If the UHF drivers are on the outside that will give you maximum soundstage width, so normally that would be the preferred location, though taking into consideration where you are able to locate the listening position. However, you must consider where your speakers are located in the room, since the 2405 radiates a quite wide pattern in the horizontal. If they are close to side walls and the side walls are reflective the early reflections will cloud the stereo image and may even create disorienting secondary "sources." Be especially aware of windows and tv screens.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

I recall from that elusive thread that there were clear technical reasons for putting the 2405's on the outside and limiting the toe in but I cant recall the limit on this - I think it was 10-15 deg....It had to do with how the 2405 and the horn interacted..CheersMark

Hello Mark

Well if you find it please post a link. I don't see why you would want to limit the toe in?? Curious to read it.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

In my experience, UHF placement and toe-in depend more on how far they're separated and where the listening sweet spot needs to be. If you're forced to a wider distance between than optimum, then UHFs to the inside will shrink the soundstage and help to not split the soloists. The HF defraction horn seems to disperse in a wider pattern than the 2405 so their placement is not as critical and in some cases they are in-line with the mid and LF drivers. My L7 supplemental manual suggest a toe-in of 10-15º. Just move 'em until they sound as good as they can and don't be stuck on what someone else may list as doctrine. It's your room.

In my room I'm forced to have my 4345s ten-feet apart at their center-line, and nine-feet from the listening location. I run the 2405s on the outboard side anyway and have the big boxes toed in nearly 30º. Works fine though ideally I'd love to have them more like eight-feet apart. The advantage of the 4345 is that no riser is necessary as the HF and UHF are at ear-level already.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks for the info guys.
    If I find the thread detailing this stuff I will post a link to it.
    For clarity I am in a 12ft wide x 40ft x 8ft room - the speakers should be about 9ft cl to cl and my listening spot about 10ft back and centered. Unfortunately The speakers will be close to the back wall and only 1-2ft away from the side walls - far from ideal...
    The current 4315's (courtesy of the late John Schmidt) are quite happy in this setup - I am hoping the 4344’s are equally tolerant of the compromised layout.
    Rick shipped them out now all I have to do is learn patience until they arrive
    Cheers
    Mark

Thread Information