Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L250 vs. 250Ti cabinets

L250 vs. 250Ti cabinets

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the L250 and 250Ti cabinets are essentially interchangeble.

I know there are some minor differences, i.e. grille mounting method & peg holes, but are there any major structural differences - esspecially regarding the use of internal bracing.

The spec sheets appear to state a weight of 68kg for both models (shipping weight I think).

Someone here said there is different bracing internally, and I am not sure on xo mounting and the cut outout in the cabinet for it. The tweeter is mounted a little different also I believe. I am sure more to members will follow up...

Mark

Thanks,

The answers will determine my overall interest in the L250's I am looking at..

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Thanks,

The answers will determine my overall interest in the L250's I am looking at..
    Andy,
    I would use the grills that are on the speakers. Second the x-over mounting holes are the same, same bolt pattern. (Remember the TI upgrade kit I told you about for the L250) All bolts up. On swapping the x-over out I would use a sealing tape of some sort. JBL never used a gasket on them. Everything else will bolt up perfect. As far as the bracing goes like I stated b4 you will have to do a comparison side by side. The only person on the forum that might know if any additional bracing was added would be Giskard. ???

Here is a link to the tape I use.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-540

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

I believe there are others who know besides Giskard, he may know them well but I am sure there are others, somebody may own both...hopefully me someday

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I believe there are others who know besides Giskard, he may know them well but I am sure there are others, somebody may own both...hopefully me someday

Mark

Well, you got the four junkers on e-bay now...........

Maybe you could make one good set? Be a little road trip for you though....

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Thanks,

One little detail I noticed when I was looking at the L250's is the edges of the grilles are more rounded than on my Ti's. The grilles sit much closer to the cabinet face as they had the velcro fitting. The grille frames are slightly thicker too (I had a good look at them as my Ti grilles are slightly warped). Also, the JBL badge is different, no gold trim around the edge on the L250's ..

If I did get them, woud probably want to keep them 100% original and only salvage parts from them if I get ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE.

I was impressed by the overall sound of them, the top end was a bit edgy compared to the Ti's but they didn't give as much away to the Ti's as I would have expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Thanks,

One little detail I noticed when I was looking at the L250's is the edges of the grilles are more rounded than on my Ti's. The grilles sit much closer to the cabinet face as they had the velcro fitting. The grille frames are slightly thicker too (I had a good look at them as my Ti grilles are slightly warped). Also, the JBL badge is different, no gold trim around the edge on the L250's ..

If I did get them, woud probably want to keep them 100% original and only salvage parts from them if I get ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE.

I was impressed by the overall sound of them, the top end was a bit edgy compared to the Ti's but they didn't give as much away to the Ti's as I would have expected.
    I see what you mean by looking at the pics. The pic. in his auction is of a 250TI. Did you notice that? The pic you posted of his do not have the floating grill. Must be a lot of velcro holding those units up, lots of weight if they are thicker?
    Also if you noticed differences in the top end, could have been the source? But you have the Buss Bars to fix that issue. Good luck on buying those junk speakers that you are going to use for parts..........

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

I have extracted the woofers out of the L250's and 250Ti's and had a good look in each cabinet type. Main differences are:

1. L250 enclosure is made from chipboard whereas the 250Ti enclosure is made from MDF.

2. 250Ti has an extra brace that runs inside of the front baffle, extending from the bottom of the cabinet up the the woofer cutout.

3. 250Ti enclosure in noticeably heavier than the L250 so I guess the different material must be the main reason?

Below are internal pictures of each cabinet for future reference.

L250 Internal

250Ti Internal

Note extra bracing in first and second shots (compared to L250's above).

So the L250 is made of standard Particle Board, and the 250TI is made from either MDF or HDF?
    Very interesting done as time and technology progressed.
    Andy, Thank you for the comparison pics. A+ on that. Also clears up some many asked questions and curiosity. NICE!

We should start calling you Dr. 250.

One 4'x8' sheet of MDF weighs 100lbs.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

The weight difference is very apparent. I actually expected to find much more bracing in the 250Ti's to account for that. It was only when I noticed the difference in cabinet material that it made sense.

I think it must be HDF as I understand MDF is only slightly heavier than chipboard and couldn't account for the the large weight diff. (I estimate a 7-10kg difference!).

I plan to use the L250 cabinets as an exercise in upgrading using internal damping materials. I have access to a supplier that can get some nice products.

Basically the same wood. Just more particles in the HDF, and a tad higher compressed weight. The look is almost identical.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

L250 Dimensions

Has anyone posted L250 dimensions on the forum?
    I didn't find them with a search, or in the enclosure data-collection thread.
    Just know what's in the spec-sheet:
    52 inches high
    22.5 inches wide
    14.25 inches deep
    Looks like one side and the back are vertical, but can't tell how much the slanted side and the front baffle are tilted. Could someone please provide the width and depth at the top (I guess as if it were squared off, with an estimate of the round-over radius?)
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Thread Information