Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back reflex ports and corner placing

Back reflex ports and corner placing

If for space reason a big speaker (let’s say a K2-9800 type) need to be placed in room corners, let’s say 1 feet off the wall(s), is it then better to have the reflex ports to the front or to the back??

I almost always drop the ports on the back. That way the port loads into the corner and any port noise or leakage is not aimed at the listener. It also gives you a nice clean refraction free baffle. One foot should be enough room so it doesn't intefere with the function.

Rob

I would put them at the rear in a large speaker. Bookshelf speakers are a different kettle of fish of course.

Am I the only one here wondering what you are up to...Ummm, the mind boggles

Rear for sure. Every wall/boundary gives you 3db more output/bass reinforcement.
    Like Andy said, what are you up to? Getting ready to climb the mountain?

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    If for space reason a big speaker (let’s say a K2-9800 type) need to be placed in room corners, let’s say 1 feet off the wall(s), is it then better to have the reflex ports to the front or to the back??
    Try to go with the largest vents you can and put them on the back.

I have two B460 clones, with the 2245's and 3 ports in the back, facing the wall, in a corner, in two different systems. Other than having to re screw all of the sheetrock to the studs facing them, they are very tight and sound great below 70-80hz. This also leaves the fronts smooth, except for the "Loudspeaker Components by JBL" vintage logos

The best solution I've heard has been to port out of the bottom of the speaker. It's clever. It certainly seems to make the speaker easier to position in the rooms I have tried. Rear facing ports are a mare here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    The best solution I've heard has been to port out of the bottom of the speaker. It's clever. It certainly seems to make the speaker easier to position in the rooms I have tried. Rear facing ports are a mare here in the UK.
    'Oy, what's a "mare", Merlin?

DavidF

Apologies David - an abreviation of the word nightmare. I missed an apostrophe.

I've never heard a rear ported speaker that was easy to position in room without eating into valuable listening space.

hah... I figured it was as in "old grey..."
    (sort of fit the intent, if I'm reading right) -grumpy

Thanks for help!

I think you're going to find that it is very room dependent. In some rooms you have to get the woofer out of the corner and off the floor. So, in genera to the rear, but not necessarily.

rear port

I know that we get a rise in efficiency when we corner load(can you say KlipchHorn?). However with the general inability to predict room loading characteristcs, until you actually put the enclosure there, I believe you are better off designing a system that does not rely on them. There's good reason why Jbl as well as others will usually port on the same baffle as the woofer. I have seen side firing woofer with front firing ports. True ,a ported design must be done properly to eliminate the problems mentioned in the earlier response. Down firing is very popular in the uk ,but it has its own problems, such as the nature of the floor you are bouncing that bass off of! RC

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by rich carnese View Post
    There's good reason why Jbl as well as others will usually port on the same baffle as the woofer.
    JBL has been placing the ports in the back since ~ 1984. It is done to mitigate spurious response. The correct solution is to get the prototypes made and see what works best in a specific environment. That's why we bother with building prototypes.

Quote Originally Posted by rich carnese View Post
    . Down firing is very popular in the uk ,but it has its own problems, such as the nature of the floor you are bouncing that bass off of! RC
    Not if you fire the port a controlled distance onto a base plate ala Proac's newer Response series. In contrast with traditional designs, I've yet to find a Proac that's difficult to place. See the slot at the base of these puppies

Thread Information