Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: John Eargle Passing

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    Thats a great idea. If Bo is up to the task of course.

Ken
    I thought he stepped down as treasurer. (?) Even if that's the case, we can still do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I thought he stepped down as treasurer. (?) Even if that's the case, we can still do this.
    Hmm, did not know that. I don't hang here as much anymore.

Ken

Thanks for posting this Mark.

I would like to pursue the following. I propose starting off a Lansing Heritage fund drive for the scholarship with a $500 contribution from our standing fund. From this point on, until June 13, every donation to our Paypal account would be added to this amount with the resulting total turned over to the scholarship fund in time for the June 14 tribute. I know that Bo is withdrawing as treasurer, but we have yet to name a replacement. I am hoping that he can weigh in here and let us know if he can coordinate this as one of his last duties. If no one objects, I will send an email to all members of this forum soliciting a contribution to this scholarship.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by mgander View Post

DETAILS CONFIRMED FOR JOHN M. EARGLE
    MEMORIAL TRIBUTE AND AES EDUCATIONAL
    FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP

Memorial Event to be Held in Hollywood, Educational
    Fund Announced for Donations.

NORTHRIDGE, CALIFORNIA, May 25, 2007 — Following up on the passing earlier this month of audio industry pioneer John M. Eargle, details were today confirmed for a memorial tribute to the life and work of John Eargle to take place in Los Angeles on June 14th.
    The event will be held at the Linwood Dunn Theater of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study, 1313 North Vine Street (at Fountain) in Hollywood, California. The event will begin at 8:00PM, with a pre-reception starting at 6:30PM. A number of friends and colleagues from the many areas of the audio industry who John touched have been asked to speak on the personal and professional impact that John had on them and the many areas of his endeavors. All friends and colleagues of John are welcome to attend.

In addition, a scholarship fund has been established in John’s name under the auspices of the Audio Engineering Society’s Educational Foundation. The John M. Eargle Memorial Scholarship will be given to a deserving student who combines the attributes of engineering capability and musical interests in the tradition of John Eargle. The Scholarship is being established with an initial donation from JBL/Harman International Industries, Incorporated. Contributions should be made by check to the AES Educational Foundation with instructions to credit the Eargle Fund. They should be mailed to: AES Educational Foundation, Robert Sherwood, Treasurer, One Wolf’s Lane, Pelham, NY, 10803. All contributions will be acknowledged.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    I would like to pursue the following. I propose starting off a Lansing Heritage fund drive for the scholarship with a $500 contribution from our standing fund.
    Thanks for making this happen Don. My contribution has just been submitted.

Great idea! My donation will be there today.

Donation submitted.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Just read this. I WILL contribute to this, education is always a worthy cause.

scottyj

I need an address to send my donation as I have no paypal. I would like to get my donation out tomorrow morning, so I need information today.

I will donate $500.00 to this, I believe in education.

scottyj

Scotty

You don't need a Paypal account to make a payment through Paypal, as you can see by clicking the Paypal button above.

Don

I had no ideal the impact he had on the site. Thanks Don!

John Eargle

Hi Don,

Sorry to post a late reply but I am just now hearing the news.

Very sad to hear of John's passing. I had just seen him last fall at an AES meeting in Toronto.

John was one of our favorites while I was at JBL. You could always depend on him to come over and have a listen to a new product and give some gentle but precise feedback.

There didn't seem to be any subject that he didn't have great insight into. Since these ranged from technical subjects to a great love and knoweldge of music, I always felt he was a real renaissance man. We worked together on a technical paper and his writing was equally refined.

I'll never forget the time he graciously invited my wife and I to his house in the hills. Yes he played the piano and we listened to some fine recordings. At the end of the evening he gave me a signed copy of one of his books, which still has a prime place on my bookshelf.

I moved away but we still bumped into each other at the odd AES meeting or CES. Sad to think that he is gone.

David Smith

Hi David

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and share your experiences with John. He was a class act and will be missed.

Don

I'll never forget meeting him at a CES a few years back. I recall he was soft spoken. I really wanted to sit down with him and dig into conversation, but he was on his way to another meeting. He noticed my name tag and he was the one that told me about my family name/history in the pipe organ making business, since he had played a few of them in his time.
    He worked for PWK at one time in the mid 50's.
    I feel fortunate to have brushed near to his brilliance. He was such a multi-gifted person with his musical and technical prowess. He was a gentleman and a scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    From this point on, until June 13, every donation to our Paypal account would be added to this amount with the resulting total turned over to the scholarship fund in time for the June 14 tribute. I know that Bo is withdrawing as treasurer, but we have yet to name a replacement. I am hoping that he can weigh in here and let us know if he can coordinate this as one of his last duties.
    Howdy...

Just arrived London, closing a brutal 23-hr travel "day" today from the Russian Far East, and nearing end of a weeks' long trip. I've not had any sort of access to the 1st world since a week-ago (my travels are remarkably, well, rural... ), I am therefore, only vaguely aware of these worthy proceedings, but note the arrival of contributions to treasury in support of this. As I pledged personally, I am in, and very cool of the Forumites for their commitments, too...

Apologies, but right now I personally don't have bandwidth to delve deeper, here in London, under my exhaustion, but will on return to SanFran, tomorrow. Rest assured the "coordination" is in-hand. . Likewise for the 'cumulated pm's - if it's OK, I'll reply over the next day...

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks Bo

Rob

Thread Information