Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Eargle Passing

John Eargle Passing

I am very sad to have to relay the news that John Eargle passed away suddenly yesterday. I was just informed of this fact and have no further details.

Quite frankly, I find myself at a loss for words on this development. It will take time for me to come to terms with his passing. I cannot stress enough just how instrumental John was to the establishment and ultimate success of this website. Anyone that has ever met John can attest to the fact that he was a true professional and a true gentleman. Ultimately, I intend put up a permanent tribute on this site to an absolutely exemplary person. However, for those who are not familiar with John, a basic profile can be found here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/ou...s/contacts.htm
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Wow, Don, I'm sure he was very special to you. Please accept my condolences and extend them to any friends and family you may know.

Sad news indeed. I'm very sorry to hear this, my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

God Bless John Eargle, and his family.
    scottyj

My condolences to his family. I was going through the 60th Anniversary book just a couple of hours ago and listening to some tracks on a Delos Sampler some of which was music he recorded. He will be missed that's for sure. Some legacy he has left behind.

Rob

Sorry to hear of this sad news. My best to his family and friends.

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

lfh
    He will be missed also by us who only knew him through his books and papers.

The audio-world has lost a fantastic teacher.

Rest in peace, John.

-Storm

I have received "Eargle On Everest" some hours ago and now I read the news.
    It is a strange feeling to listen to these fine accomplished pieces of music knowing that the one, John Eargle who has compiled these with knowledge and dediction, just has passed.

Sad day indeed!

How ironic that we have this fundraiser with the John Eargle On Everest cd and then I received my JBL Story book today and he passes away. It makes these two items all that more special.

Don, please pass on our heart felt condolences to his family and I am sorry for your personal loss.

Don if there is anything that we can do to help please let us know.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    Quite frankly, I find myself at a loss for words on this development.
    Yes. Thanks for the post Don. John is one of those guys we will always look up to.

This is sad news, indeed.

Hi, Don...

This is truly sad news. Tough for his family, certainly, and also adds to a time of losses for you, personally. By your post, we can only begin to feel the magnitude of this loss. Terribly sorry...

Ironically, I was just last night enjoying my first listen to his "Eargle on Everest" CD on the 4345's, reflecting on the incredible heritage of it all, and how fortunate we are that you, he, and a few others, had the vision and tenacity to construct this site. How many it has brought together is a staggering achievement - one that is measured by the fact that JBL themselves, come here from time to time.

I often refer to Eargle's "Handbook of Recording Engineering" and "Handbook of Sound System Design" - much in these translate immediately into today's SR applications. Groundbreaking and irreplaceable stuff...

Thanks, Don.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Garry Margolis just sent the following that provides some additional detail on John and the events of his passing.

It is with great sadness that I inform you that John Eargle, one of the finest audio engineers and teachers it's been my privilege to know, has passed away.

He was scheduled to speak to an Audio Engineering Society chapter in Minnesota on Tuesday evening, and when he failed to communicate with them, his JBL colleagues went to his home and found his body.

John had a Masters in Music from Eastman and a Masters in Electrical Engineering from the University of Oklahoma. He was a fine pianist -- he had a Boesendorfer Concert Grand with extended bass in his living room, and it shared the room with his Steinway D until the latter was sold. His superb musicianship was evident in the many recordings he engineered for Delos.

I met him when we worked together at JBL, and we quickly became friends as well as colleagues. Although he retired from recording a few years ago, he continued to consult for Harman International as well as write and revise his superb textbooks on audio. He was a regular lecturer at the Aspen Recording Institute every summer, and he was a frequent speaker at both Acoustical Society of America and Audio Engineering Society meetings.

For the past two decades, I had the privilege of assisting him with his computing needs. He was expert in computer technical drawing -- he did all of his own book illustrations -- and, with the changes in technical publishing, he became fluent in page layout as well. In recent years, he took up photography with typically excellent results.

Because he lived alone and was concerned about what could happen if he had a medical emergency, he recently decided to sell his home in the hills above the Hollywood Bowl and move into a retirement community. Ironically, his concern was justified.

Requiescat in pacem, my friend...

Garry

This is really shocking and sad news. John Eargle was a tremendous friend to the Lansing Heritage web site and its founders, at all times being extremely generous with his time and extensive knowledge. Rest in peace, John.

Sad news indeed. My condolences to you, Don, and all his family and friends

Another one of the Masters is now gone. Men like him are indelible and irreplaceable.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information