Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I get moderator powers over a thread I start?

Obsolete
    You guys are about three years too late with this idea... been there, done that already.
    Nice thought about personal ownership of a thread though.

Hello T Dome

I think if we just police the threads as they go it won't have that much of an impact. The original poster can just put a request in the original post to please keep the thread on topic. I think most would respect those wishes from the outset. If the thread gets a couple of pages we can easilly remove an off topic post and put a reminder that this is an On Topic thread as requested by the originator. I have no problem doing this in real time. It is much easier than going in after the fact and having to worry about keeping things in context after there are responses and the thread strays.

Rob

Obsolete
    Agreed.

If you actually have a project my suggestion is this.

Keep it short, not more than two pages.

Prepare all your posts and images in advance and cut and paste from word or photoshop.

Open a new thread and post some markers. Enough to cover what you want then go back and edit with the content. Yiu just booking some posts for maintaining the flow of your topic.(I dont think its unreasonable to expect a reply).

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    If you actually have a project my suggestion is this.
    Keep it short, not more than two pages.
    I agree. When a perfectly good thread spawns a new perfectly good topic... or an obvious change of direction from the original, it would be quite helpful if the poster would start a new thread. Starting new threads in this way creates shorter and simpler threads and makes navigation far simpler.

For those of you who already make this your practice thank you... for you folks who just like to pile on... please try to make your threads less cumbersome by simply starting new threads... it only takes a second or two.

Widget

So you'd prefer shorter but more prolific threads.

I can kind of see Ian's point for projects, but need more help seeing how it works with all threads.

Ti,

Not all threads are about projects and therefore I dont think its reasonable for the originator to control the discussion unless of course you are only interested in your own point of view.

It is more a moderator role to help steer a discuss if it is going off the edge!

If the latter is the case I would deem it a Blog and as we have discussed elsewhere anyone can do so that in their on space.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    All the original, uncensored stuff, warts and all, would be in an original thread that just went deeper into the belly of the beast, while the Performance Series Archive would be an actual, searchable resource.

There could be a separate forum: "JBL Series Archives" that's Read Only. The first post of each thread would include links to other PS information on the site, like System Information, Transducer Information, relevant Tech Notes, Tech Sheet links, etc. Then the expurgated thread would follow.
    Dome;

That's something i've thought about and it would be really helpful. However, if we really think about it, we don't need a new forum, moderator help, or changing anything.... We just need to do it...

what i mean is this..if someone wants a more "just the Facts" PS Thread ( or any other thread), just do this:

1. Create a new thread in the same forum and name it something like " Performance series - Tech facts

2. Start cutting and copying from the old thread post by post ( or others threads if you want) and posting and pasting in the new thread..

done

3. also, in the first post we can ask the members NOT to post as this is a tech thread ( it's been done before on threads for reference) and if some idiot does post THEN the moderators can come in and delete the posts

4. Once the thread is completed, have it locked or set to read only.

If we start to have a lot of these then the moderators will think awhile and then maybe create a new forum and move the threads there

The ONLY thing I see missing is the willingness for people to spend a lot of time doing this..

less talk..more doing...

yep - I came to the same conclusion trying to rethink my threads aka the "4320 Project" thread that links to the "Looky ...L200" thread that I just closed after I linked it to the new "Looky ... 4341" thread.
    I mean, I know Giskard and Ian and Riessen and Zilch are knowledgable and great resources to have here, and I hate to disturb any of them, but they have provided input and direction as I moved forward and others later may decide to take a similar path. So if I can imbed links that point at the critical posts in other threads I read that influenced me and helped give me direction, that's a good thing. Not everyone will find a factory 4-way that fits within their budget - for some folks, building it up in stages like I was doing is a better approach. Of course, it would be helpful to remove some of the divergent posts out of the thread to tighten it up ...

And there are other places that kind of external editor could help - sometimes the LHS search engine brings up so many links on a topic its overwhelming - but to do a general intro to a topic with pointers and links to relevant existing threads would be a good thing.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Heather,

You raise from good points.

Links are useful to avoid redundancy but if you are want something specific and concise I would tend to structure your thread that way and post the reference thinks at the end.

People like to read whats in front of them and the hyperlinks don't always discuss the points you are referring to and they can also be riddled with off topic replys. It also depends to on how much a topic has been trashed to death as I can imagine you might appreciate

We have to work within the tools we have. My approach would be edit what you want into Word at home and attach it and then upload for comment in a ""data collection thread replay"" thread and edit the Word doc as required as attach for further comment.

Then post your reference thread using the word doc as a template when you are done. That way you have a nice slick thread with all the information and input that you wanted. Naturally you may wish to post credits and references at the end.

I think there is always lattitude to edit a thread down if needed. A shorter thread is always better than a long thread.

Incidentially I posted a thread oh about 3 years ago on the 4341 and I think Rick or was it John was/is an owner and posted a lot of information.

Ian

You guys have given me great inspiration and tips already.

So, I am working on a 4340/4341 references thread - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=16493

baby steps I know, but I am JUST starting out with it. I've asked folks not to post in it directly and to send notes and info via PMs so I can keep it on topic. Hopefully I want have to disturb the Mods too much (not at all yet!)

Not sure how much I will post there today - we are having a cookout to celebrate the blooms of the azaleas and guests are due this afternoon so much prep awaits (and I've gotta put those darned L200s somewhere!!!).

And yes, there is a life offline!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I have found the boards to be very liberal as to what you can post as long as it isn't mean spirited. I have gotten a few emails on marginal issues asking me to refrain from an attack or smart ass remark towards someone I didn't agree with. In retrospect the warnings were fair and friendly.

Theres always going to be a certain amount of noise going off by a certain amount of people. I applaud the moderaters for a job well done.

Thread Information