Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get moderator powers over a thread I start?

Can I get moderator powers over a thread I start?

I am wondering if there is a way to have a thread that is readable by anyone, but where the originator OWNS the thread and can selectively lock the thread, so only he, or those he has given permission to, can add posts (use buddy list?).
    Something like giving moderator powers for a particular thread to the initiator of the thread. This could be one way to help keep threads on topic, and they could also be edited and cleaned up much later, maybe after a lively discussion.

Some of my favorite threads are the DIY construction projects. And some times I can't resist adding my 2 cents worth, or just gushing about how nice the final product is. But once a project has run it's course it might benefit from the same sort of editing as the Quick and Dirty 4430 thread.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Well, I put a final post in the "Looky ... L200 thread" I had going (kinda moot now that I actually have a real 434x system) and asked that the thread be closed this morning. Now its closed. But I agree - there are some divergent posts that would be nice to edit or remove to maintain the main focus of the thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    I am wondering if there is a way to have a thread that is readable by anyone, but where the originator OWNS the thread and can selectively lock the thread, so only he, or those he has given permission to, can add posts (use buddy list?).
    Something like giving moderator powers for a particular thread to the initiator of the thread. This could be one way to help keep threads on topic, and they could also be edited and cleaned up much later, maybe after a lively discussion.

Some of my favorite threads are the DIY construction projects. And some times I can't resist adding my 2 cents worth, or just gushing about how nice the final product is. But once a project has run it's course it might benefit from the same sort of editing as the Quick and Dirty 4430 thread.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

No unfortunately they cannot be set-up that way. It's by Forum only, you can't set it up so it's post only. We generally don't go back and edit threads unless there is an offensive post. I would like the posts to stay more on topic as well but all it takes is one post and Off Topic it goes. If you have a current thread and want an Off Topic post deleted PM one of the Moderators.

Rob

But once a project has run it's course it might benefit from the same sort of editing as the Quick and Dirty 4430 thread.
    It took me most of a weekend to do the Q&D Contents, but it was time well invested, at least for me. I can navigate the two threads quite handily with that to find most information there.

I may take a slightly different approach to the Valencia thread, but one idea I'm mulling over is that the last post in a thread before it's closed might be an index of similar sort, with an edit of the first post linking to it. My understanding is that it's not possible to insert a post, for example, at the beginning, but the existing first post can be edited by a mod or administrator.... :dont-know

There's also the possibility of private forums, I believe, which could be made public after closing, maybe?

That would be an exceptional thing to have, even after the fact. I'd love to be able to go through the Performance Series thread and remove all the redundancies, BS, and cute talk and get it right down to the key stuff. I'd also like to fold in a couple of PS threads started by people who couldn't or wouldn't search before posting, then get rid of the supercilious ones.

Rob, since that's not possible, is there a way to have a thread starter consolidate all the posts into a separate, searchable archive and lock it while leaving the original, bloated thread open to more posts? Then if something worthy were added, the thread starter could add it to the archive?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    ...is there a way to have a thread starter consolidate all the posts into a separate, searchable archive and lock it while leaving the original, bloated thread open to more posts? Then if something worthy were added, the thread starter could add it to the archive?
    Censorship!!! OMG!! The heresy...

Sorry, it's that same dung that gets thrown at us every time we try to do anything close to that (even tho it's a good idea...).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Sorry, it's that same dung that gets thrown at us every time we try to do anything close to that (even tho it's a good idea...).
    It's all in how you phrase it. I don't want to censor anything; I just want "editorial discretion." Doesn't that sound much nicer?

All the original, uncensored stuff, warts and all, would be in an original thread that just went deeper into the belly of the beast, while the Performance Series Archive would be an actual, searchable resource.

There could be a separate forum: "JBL Series Archives" that's Read Only. The first post of each thread would include links to other PS information on the site, like System Information, Transducer Information, relevant Tech Notes, Tech Sheet links, etc. Then the expurgated thread would follow.

if the problem is as simple as separating the wheat from the chaff could not the mods just ask the posters of extranious information for permission to delete same?im sure most members if asked would be inclined to be accomodating .and even if a few refused the thread would be streamlined at least by as much as the ones who agreed to the deletions

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    if the problem is as simple as separating the wheat from the chaff could not the mods just ask the posters of extranious information for permission to delete same?im sure most members if asked would be inclined to be accomodating .and even if a few refused the thread would be streamlined at least by as much as the ones who agreed to the deletions
    It is a nice idea, to ask people to delete, or edit their own chaff. But, then, you run the risk of being told you are telling people how to think, what to say, and that it all has to be one way here, and that we are censoring them.

But, I happen to agree with Ti about being able to keep your thread focused and on topic. After all, if the author of a thread is serious about what they are speaking about, its fair to want all the posts 'on topic' and of a serious nature.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    It is a nice idea, to ask people to delete, or edit their own chaff. But, then, you run the risk of being told you are telling people how to think, what to say, and that it all has to be one way here, and that we are censoring them.

But, I happen to agree with Ti about being able to keep your thread focused and on topic. After all, if the author of a thread is serious about what they are speaking about, its fair to want all the posts 'on topic' and of a serious nature.
    i understand that but i think that the censorshp aspect is avoided by the voluntary nature of the request and im sure that if folks are aware that the requests are made to facilitate the accessability of useful tech and diy info that most would not feel put upon

Yes, I see your point, but unfortunately, Rob says it just cant be done.

You either have moderator status over an entire section of the forum, or you dont, thats just the way the software works.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    And who so we suppose is gonna DO all that?

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    No unfortunately they cannot be set-up that way. It's by Forum only, you can't set it up so it's post only. We generally don't go back and edit threads unless there is an offensive post. I would like the posts to stay more on topic as well but all it takes is one post and Off Topic it goes. If you have a current thread and want an Off Topic post deleted PM one of the Moderators.
    Rob
    Thanks for the info Robh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    That would be an exceptional thing to have, even after the fact. I'd love to be able to go through the Performance Series thread and remove all the redundancies, BS, and cute talk and get it right down to the key stuff.
    Yeah Dome, that was pretty much what I had in mind.
    I really don't mind the "BS, and cute talk" while the posts are current and active, they're kind of normal forum fun. But it would be nice to tidy up as you say "after the fact" when you can have a clear overview of which off-topic meanderings are interesting, and which don't really add up to much.
    glen

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    one idea I'm mulling over is that the last post in a thread before it's closed might be an index of similar sort, with an edit of the first post linking to it. My understanding is that it's not possible to insert a post, for example, at the beginning, but the existing first post can be edited by a mod or administrator....
    This sounds like a pretty good idea Zilch, index is usually at the end of the book anyway
    glen

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Oh No!!! I'm usually doing the throwing too!
    Guess I'll have to jump into the heap myself
    glen

Thread Information