Thread: 9846 Biamp upgrade

9846 Biamp upgrade

Well I found a pair of 1224 Biamps on epay last week and thought I would go ahead and remove the 771's and run seperate external amps and a crossover. This will give should greater flexibility and alow me to place the speakers futher away from the source.
    I pulled the horns and drivers and repainted the boxes black. I also installed panel from 3/4" MDF to cover the holes left by the removal of the biamps.
    Moldy has been really helpful and built me a few attenuators to replace the originals which had gone off over time. They sound great.

These speakers will be going to my sister un VA for her H/T mains. She presently has electrostats and was disappointed with them when she got them home. Sounded great in the store but never quite cut it at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nice

More and more I'm enjoying the look of those oversize horns dominating a single 15" woofer .

A couple of notes ;

(i) This model has aligned ( at the crossover point ) the two components' acoustic centers / as opposed to simply aligning the mechanical centers ( ie ; vertically aligning the voice coils )

(ii) I'm sure it sounds great .
    - Do you feel the horn driver is replicating the curve I just showed ?

Nice speaker

My Dad had a pair of these when I was a kid and I grew up listening to them daily. I have had several speakers including L100's and ESS AMT-1d's and decided last year to build a pair. I found a pair of Santiago's before I could get the components together and just listened to them for awhile. I lucked in to this pair back in November and they had 806 drivers and 2225 woofers in the cabs with the n501-8A crossovers. It sounded okay beside the the 878's but it sounded muddy. The efficiency diff between the 806 with the Attenuators and the 2225 was off and I had no way to control them independently.
    I pulled the woofers and put 411-8a's in along with 808/802 dia drivers and Moldy chipped in with new attenuators to replace the old ones and KABOOM.......... I was blown away. Things got even better when I dug out my Dad's 771 biamps and installed those. They have been a pain with one overheating and the other has a hum that I can't figure out.

I really think that these are well worth every penny.
    I have heard several JBL speakers over the years as my Dad and his buddies had several go through their hands and I still keep coming back to these old units.
    I really enjoy these old things.

Thumbs up Yes I feel it is right on the money.

I have EQ'd for the roll off and it sounds pretty damned good since I added that.

Thanks for the update ! It's much appreciated .

Hopefully one day I'll run into a pair of affordable, local, 511e(s) for my 288(s)

511's?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Thanks for the update ! It's much appreciated .

Hopefully one day I'll run into a pair of affordable, local, 511e(s) for my 288(s)
    How far away is Hamilton from you?
    I have family there and may be able to ge a pair of 511B's tp you if you are interested.

Hi ,

That's a very generous offer but I'm looking for 511e horns ( with the 1.4" entrance ) to fit up to 288 drivers. Plus, I would be chopping them up so that I could copy them in wood / so / you don't want to get your horns involved in this sort of massacre .

Quote Originally Posted by arawak1969
    How far away is Hamilton from you?
    - Only about 50 miles .

Glad your new biamps worked out, Peter, and that you're back in high cotton.

...I'm looking for 511e horns ( with the 1.4" entrance ) to fit up to 288 drivers. Plus, I would be chopping them up so that I could copy them in wood ...
    Geez, Earl, I thought I might be alone in the desire to chop up valuable stuff to see what makes it tick or to clone it! The last few "E"s I've seen brought $6-700/pr, expensive fodder for the grinder.

I've been wanting to do the same for a long time, only my resources suggest 'glass instead of wood clones. Been eying an unused "B" with a broken flange as a candidate, and expect I'll do it as soon as a few other things get cleared. Hafta extrapolate the length diff., but that appears to be fairly easy. Plans are to make a full length foam plug mold, then separate the halves to extract the mold and go from there. Will gladly share the results. Any suggestions/requests welcomed.

311-90 horns are a better choice!

Earl,

They are a thicker cast aluminum horn with aquaplas coating and don't ring like the 511B/811B type.

I'm not sure if the 511E is of the same construction as the 811/511 type. I talked to Bill H. at Great Plains and he mentioned they took off about 1.5" of a 511B to mate the 1.4" throat.

I have 311-60 horns and they are 60 degree vice the 90 degree dispersion of the 311-90 horns.

Regards, Ron

Hi ,

That's a very generous offer but I'm looking for 511e horns ( with the 1.4" entrance ) to fit up to 288 drivers.

JBL Pro for home use!

moldyoldy,

- I mispoke & therefore gave the wrong impression / if I had 511e horns I wouldn't be cutting em up / I would only butcher 511b horns .
    - I want wood horns .

Ron,

- I could live with the size of the 511 but not the 311 .
    - I have here, a 60° RCA radial. It's a fair duplicate of the 311 ( without the vanes ) .

Thread Information