Thread: New Foilcal Glue

New Foilcal Glue

Hey everyone. I just upgraded the caps in my JBL L40's and used a combination of techniques to remove the foilcal to access the two hidden screws beneath holding the crossover to the front baffle. At this point the speakers are back together and a buddy and I tried reactivating the old glue with heat but the decals are not sticking very well. What has everyone used in the past to supplement the original glue when reattaching the foil cals? I used decent parts so I suspect it will be another 30 years before anyone needs to tear into them again. Thanks!

Jay

if it was me i would consider a small amount of double sided tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassman View Post
    Hey everyone. I just upgraded the caps in my JBL L40's and used a combination of techniques to remove the foilcal to access the two hidden screws beneath holding the crossover to the front baffle. At this point the speakers are back together and a buddy and I tried reactivating the old glue with heat but the decals are not sticking very well. What has everyone used in the past to supplement the original glue when reattaching the foil cals? I used decent parts so I suspect it will be another 30 years before anyone needs to tear into them again. Thanks!

Jay
    Rubber cement?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

RIP 2009
    Spray adhesive, (on the back of the foilcals only). If you put it on the foilcals and cabinet, it's more or less permanent...

John

I second the spray adhesive. Rubber contact cement didn't work at all. Just spray the back of foilcal like mentioned eariler.

Currently, the foilcals are back on the cabinets although not very well. It should not be difficult to remove them again. Can anyone recommend a brand of spray adhesive they have used and had favorable results? I really did do research before posting but nothing quite answered my question. Thanks to all who have responded.

Jay

I've had good luck with 3M 90 Spray Adhesive, it's available at Lowes around here. One method you could experiment with is only spraying the back of the decal with a semi heavy coat. Wait for the adhesive to set for a couple of minutes, set it in place, cover it with a cloth and iron it on with medium heat. I have not tried this method but it works great for applying grille cloth as Zilch has documented elsewhere in this forum. (Normally you would apply 3M 90 to both surfaces to be bonded. I would not suggest 3M 77 as it's more for artwork.)

Good old fashioned, stinky Lepages contact cement that was used for attaching arborite (remember that stuff?) to kitchen counter tops. It worked great to repair the foilcal on my 4345's.

Anyone ever tried double-sided carpet tape? It's quite thin with hardly any material or backing, just adhesive. Available in many different brands at hardware (Lowe's) or discount stores (WalMart). Cut to fit and stick it.

I'm also for the double-sided adhesive tape for attaching foilcals. I use the rolled type (same as packing tapes) and cut with a sharp blade after attaching it to the back of the foilcal. I've seen a JBL repair tech use this method.
    Steve K

Thread Information