Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giskard "former member?"

Giskard "former member?"

WTF is that?
    R Beardsley (BEAR)

I sure hope not!!

He is a VERY VERY valued member here on this fourm. This would be a sad day as anyone here can gain knowledge from this highly knowledgeable and respected fourmite.

I do hope this is not the case!!
    Shane

Giskard is on sabbatical.

Some feckwit scrapped 185 DX-1's he was trying to give new life here.

No doubt he is duly bent about it....

I guess I missed this one. I have no ideal what happened. I will say this. Giskard has always been a life saver for me on my repairs and restorations. He is a walking encyclopedia on JBLs and thier drivers. He may not have the greatest people skills via the internet......but after dealing with him I would have to say he has a heart ass big as my ASS! What he does for this board couldn't be measured. He has been here as long before I came here. I would have to say he puts in a lot of hours a day where the majotity of us put in a few minutes every now and then. With all the emails and questions he gets and answers I suspect someone tripped his trigger and he's evaluating whether the percieved abuse is worth it. I myself hope he is still contributing!

My assumption (or hope) was that this is a joke. Giskard, if you ever want to leave, we need 365 days notice!
    R Beardsley (BEAR)

Hi

With all the emails and questions he gets and answers I suspect someone tripped his trigger and he's evaluating whether the percieved abuse is worth it.
    I believe that about sums it up / though / I see the abuse as quite real.

I myself hope he is still contributing!
    I do hope that he is able to think through this / solve the riddles of such immersed involvement / and then re-establish a balance that will work more for his benefit .

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer
    I suspect someone tripped his trigger and he's evaluating whether the percieved abuse is worth it.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    ...I see the abuse as quite real.
    Aptly put, Earl.

Too many come out here with their egos tied to quick acceptance on an Internet forum. When they faced Giskard's dry wit, and pure uncaring when they decide to go a direction not supported by available engineering or ample experience, they lash out at him and challenge his credibility, truthfulness, honesty and person. They bit the hand that would readily feed them.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

This is really sad...

The man has done so much for this forum and the people here. I was really surprised that he hadn't burned out long ago. Just recently I asked a question about the performance series crossovers and he went above and beyond what I thought he would and he did it for so many. These were not trival answers he gave but took a lot of work and yes, he does have a very, very big heart ( haven't seen your ass yet audiobeer but we'll take your word)

I don't know what triggered this, but all i can say is it must have been more than just a "bad" experience with a member or a few run-a-way threads lately.

any time you open yourself up to helping as many people as he did there's always a possiblity of something going wrong. also, I know how hard it is to explain tech stuff to non tech people. drives you crazy.

I was hoping to help him ( if he needed it) on making his dream of a tech database for the forum a reality. We'll see.....

Well, tonight I will toast a drink to a very uncommon gentleman who went by the handle of "Giskard". I know he has won my respect and admiration, not only for his brilliant knowlege but for what he gave so many on this forum. We are not likely to see his kind again.

So Giskard whatever you are..... I wish you the best..even if that means you are no longer on the forum. Hopefully we will all respect his wishes should he need some time off or time to reflect.

and last.....thank you for all you did.

( by the way....who was he?)

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Aptly put, Earl.

Too many come out here with their egos tied to quick acceptance on an Internet forum. When they faced Giskard's dry wit, and pure uncaring when they decide to go a direction not supported by available engineering or ample experience, they lash out at him and challenge his credibility, truthfulness, honesty and person. They bit the hand that would readily feed them.
    Damn..double damn...

Let's give him some time...

I think with time that perhaps this may all blow over. His love of JBL's and his dedication to this "hobby" is unmatched imho (not to take away anything from other dedicated enthusiasts here ). Hopefully with time he'll wander back in and pick up where he left off - educating, helping and even lecturing when necessary.

You might find the answers here on your own, but without his quickly accessible mental database of all things JBL, we're all poorer as a result.

jblnut

Thanks Nut!!

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut
    I think with time that perhaps this may all blow over. His love of JBL's and his dedication to this "hobby" is unmatched imho (not to take away anything from other dedicated enthusiasts here ). Hopefully with time he'll wander back in and pick up where he left off - educating, helping and even lecturing when necessary.

You might find the answers here on your own, but without his quickly accessible mental database of all things JBL, we're all poorer as a result.

jblnut
    I do hope this will be the case.

RIP 2009
    Giskard has always seemed more than willing to help people out - he's certainly helped me! I certainly hope he returns - his presence and technical input could never be replaced.

Though I don't know for sure, I suspect his moniker came from Isaac Asimov - the robot Giskard. Perhaps the following info on Asimov's Giskard can provide some insight into our fellow forumite, (and techbot?):

Reventlov, Giskard
    Robot designed and built on Aurora by Han Fastolfe, and a lifelong companion of Fastolfe. As an unintended result of experiments in programming carried out on him by Fastolfe's student daughter Vasilia, Giskard was given the ability to read and influence minds. Although he used this ability according to the Laws of Robotics, this nevertheless included using it to prevent its discovery, and only Elijah Baley, during the investigation of Jander Panell's death, and Vasilia Aliena, at the height of the crisis between Aurora and Earth, deduced the extent of his powers. It was Giskard's agreement with the views of Fastolfe on the future of the Spacers and of Earthpeople which led him to induce Panell into stasis when he discovered that Kelden Amadiro had been trying to extract information on humaniform robots from Panell for his own purposes, and to encourage the assignment of Baley to the subsequent investigation. His encounter with, and observations of, Baley convinced him that Fastolfe was right, and he continued to use his powers, when necessary, to encourage the mass emigration from Earth which Fastolfe wanted to see. After Fastolfe's death, ownership of Giskard and his long-time friend Daneel Olivaw transferred to Gladia Delmarre, and with her they accompanied D.G.Baley via Solaria and Baleyworld to Earth, where Giskard could observe human beings en masse, and was able to reprogram some of Earth's robots to influence the Earth's officials towards a more positive attitude to colonization. While on Earth he prevented Amadiro from initiating his plan to destroy Earth but allowed Levular Mandamus to, determining that a long, slow death for the planet would be in the best interests of humanity by forcing them to expand into the galaxy. Although Giskard, after long and detailed discussions with Daneel, had recognised the need for a Zeroth Law of Robotics as proposed by Daneel as an answer to what both had come to see as the incompleteness of the existing Laws of Robotics, he was less well able to cope with the abstract concepts which the Zeroth Law introduced, and went into stasis as a result of the lingering uncertainty of his decision to allow Earth to die, coming as it had at the end of a protracted series of difficult crises. Before freezing, he programmed Daneel with his telepathic powers.

HUH? Is that you Mr. Asimov?
    R Beardsley (BEAR)

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by R Beardsley
    HUH? Is that you Mr. Asimov?
    From here: http://www.newearth.demon.co.uk/asimov/asht00.htm

John

Thread Information