Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for suggestions on a Surround sound preamp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Midnight

Looking for suggestions on a Surround sound preamp

Well, Am just starting to look for a Sound surround preamp. There are a lot of stuff out there to choose from. I am looking for something that I can use for the home theater but also for just music. I am aware of some nice stuff like the Bryston sp1.7, and the Anthem avm20.
    I really like the Sp1.7 because it as a analog side that stays totally analog for things like the old turntable. The problem is the price tag. Here in Canada , its sells for $5.500. That’s a lot of money for a preamp.
    I was just wondering if anyone would have any recommendation or suggestions.
    Its still early in my research and any help would be appreciated.

I know that this is not a Jbl subject but it will be use to drive my 4435, for what its worth.

This should be posted in the "Off Topic" section.

In any event, in answer to your question... it doesn't exist! There is no affordable preamp that sounds as good as a dedicated two-channel preamp that also has surround processing capabilities and costs under the 4K to 5K price range.

In one of my systems I run two completely redundant sets of electronics... costly, a visual clutter, and inconvenient. In my other main audio system I use a dedicated stereo amp and preamp to drive the left and right speakers. I feed the stereo preamp the outputs from the processor to one of it's aux inputs. In 5.1 mode I have the stereo preamp preset at a level that matches the other channels and for CD or phono I run them directly to the stereo preamp and leave all of the other gear off. It can be a bit of a hassle, but my wife seems to be able to navigate it and the improvement in the two channel sound is huge.

In this system I am using a fairly pricey ($2750) B+K receiver as the processor and amplifier for center and surround channels. The B+K has an all analog choice for stereo... it still sounds like crap. I bought it hoping to avoid all of the clutter, I lived with it for a few weeks and never could enjoy the music with the grungy veil the cheap opamps and clumsy circuit design put on top of it. In the standard digital mode it was even worse! For movies it is fine, but for really listening to music, I find I need to go back to a traditional 2 channel set-up. There are a few multi channel processors that have high quality analog circuitry, but so far they are all quite pricey.

If anyone has found a processor with a super clean all analog line level section let me know. The ones I have tried from Parasound, Yamaha, Integra, Pioneer Elite, Lexicon (only digital), and B+K don't cut it!

Widget

John Y.

Processing of HT Analog signals

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    This should be posted in the "Off Topic" section.

In any event, in answer to your question... it doesn't exist! There is no affordable preamp that sounds as good as a dedicated two-channel preamp that also has surround processing capabilities and costs under the 4K to 5K price range.

If anyone has found a processor with a super clean all analog line level section let me know. The ones I have tried from Parasound, Yamaha, Integra, Pioneer Elite, Lexicon (only digital), and B+K don't cut it!

Widget
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread to see if there has been anything new to add to the topic in recent years.

How about some of the latest units? McIntosh has the C45 which has analog processing of the 5.1 analog signals. The Lexicon RV-8 has the capability of bypassing digital processing of analog 5.1.

Anyone (Widget, et. al.?) have any experience with these, or others in the current line of McIntosh or Lexicon units?

J. Yo

My old Denon 5.1 AVR 2600 doesn't sound too bad for stereo and it still works just fine. I know it's SS but so are my car systems.

A number of analog stereo aficianadoes swear by the Citation 7.0 as having a superior analog section. I've heard it, and it's very nice, but it comes from pre DD and DTS times.

I own the successor model, the Citation 5.0 which has DD 5.1 and DTS, plus Jim Fosgate's 6Axis. The analog section is very nice as well, but the set up on this thing is horrendous and, again, it's behind the times.

I replaced it in my main system with a Fosgate Audionics FAPT-1, both on the strength of Jim Fosgates's surround capabilities and his dedication to terrific analog bypass. However, it's been superceded by the FAPT-1+, which is said to be improved in almost every parameter. It's around $3k.

There are no balanced ins/outs here, but I've never seen the need in a home system. Others of course feel differently and are welcome to their opinions.

My main system/HT is nicknamed "The Two Jims Theater," due to Jim Fosgate and Jim Lansing being the giants of my audio world. Plus, the entanglements of JBL, Fosgate Audionics, Citation, and Harman Kardon are many over the years.
    Out.

I use

a Rotel RSP 1068 which I find to be a great unit for the price. I focus more on the 2 channel pre for quality audio.

Midnight Pre Processor

I don't know what bucks a Lexion MC 12 processor would run to over there, but I would suggest you have a good listen to it. It's performance in analogue has been raved about by many of the Hi Fi scribes as approaching 2 CH nirvana, so beg borrow or steal one for a play.
    I reluctantly agree with Widget but don't let that stop you.

Michael

Yeah I scribe with The Widget on this one but I venture a step further,

Although I love 5.1 movies and DVD music concerts, even the DTS compression isn't on a par with a well recorded PCM (CD) or better again HDCD imho. And then there's vinyl. I would'nt waste 3-5 K on a AV preamp frankly.

Besides why do you need AAA HiFi for dialogue in a movie?

I therefore find the whole audiophile 5.1 thing a bit of a myth.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by rek50
    My old Denon 5.1 AVR 2600 doesn't sound too bad for stereo and it still works just fine. I know it's SS but so are my car systems.
    I guess it is a matter of expectations... I don't have any experience with your Denon unit, but I doubt that it is all that different from the top of the line Yamaha, B&K, Parasound, and Pioneer Elite units I have had in my system. (All SS also.) None of these processors or receivers had the transparency or detail that a quality 2 channel pre-amp from the 1980s will give you.

Since my earlier posting on this thread, I have more or less lost interest in multi-channel audio (for music) and am focusing on dedicated 5.1 HT and stereo systems.

Widget

I have been down this road many times. I have always ended up with seperates....in other words a dedicated 2 channel and another Home Theater system. For me I couldn't see spending the limited funds on $5000+ receiver. I have stopped upgrading to the latest Home Theater stuff for now. But if I was to go back to home theater and wanted 1 system I would get a receiver like a Yamaha that was a good used one and run seperate tried and true used amps for each channel. I just got sick of spending $2K + on recievers and/or $3K on new Processor only to see bigger and better model come out. The only reason I would spend that kind of money now was if I felt the value of 2nd or 3rd room usage or if I could employ some new technoligy like WiFi or something like that. Now I gotta tell you my prospective would obviously be different if I won the lottery!

Steve Gonzales

Outlaw

Outlaw ,the internet order only branch of Atlantic Technologies ,has garnered a very favorable review recently for it's 950 pre/pro. It sells at a reasonable cost and has above average analog stereo capabilities. It also has received some above average marks too, for it's bass management flexablities . Couldn't hurt to check one out (reviews), if you insist on a dual duty preamp/processer. As for me, "Ain't nothin' like a seperate, dedicated rig for each type of duty, very much agreed on that point, just my .02, Good Luck, SG.

Widget I agree so much so that..............

I hurled the wonder box completely and feed the analogue Front L + R 5.10 outputs of my Pioneer 626 DVD straight into the line input of the BOSOZ (Pass Balanced line stage). The Rear L+R go direct to a power amp with pre set input levels.

Midnight:

"it doesn't exist! "

Widget, You hit the nail on the head. I also run two completely different systems. As yet, I've never found a good sounding processor.

If it's made for HT, it's not good enough for 2 channel listening, period. No reason to search for the "Holy Grail" all in one wonder box that will do both.(IMHO)

If it were me and looking to spend that much money, I'll put most of the money into 2 channel ( if that's your real passion, mine is) and then go to Best Buy or some other retail outlet and spend a $1000 to $2000 for a HT wonder box with processor and amps. I personally use a Marantz AV9000 preamp for HT ( in my good system - retail about 1900 then). Pretty good for HT, but really bites for 2 channel.

It's a b***h switching back and forth, but worth it.

Good luck

rick

I hope you guys arn't dashing my dreams. I've had my eye on a Parrasound Halo C2 for some time now. After I get all my speakers, amps and supporting electronics set up I was (am?) going to fork out some $ for one. Right now I'm on stereo, run through a small Mackie mixing board.

Midnight

I hope not

Yes your right Widget, I should have posted this in the off topics. Sorry guys. I don’t know of a way to move the thread. Hopefully the forum moderator can move it over.
    You guys are now putting sticks in my wheels. My plans are to finish the basement into a sound room and home theater. It does not include having two different systems, witch is something I may have to do. I will not give up this easy do.
    There are some great reviews on the Bryston SP1.7 I have yet to hear it. I think its time to get to the store and find out a little more about it. The problem with this unit is the price. They always roll out the red carpet for Bryston equipment. I was hoping that someone else out there makes a product that does both job well. You may be right and I may be disappointed with this preamp.
    I will let you know.
    Here is a review done by Audio and Video magazine on the Bryston website. I know that this doesn’t mean anything but it does sound good.
    Bryston SP1.7
    Last edited by Midnight; 02-01-2004 at 10:37 AM.

Thread Information