Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 250Ti questions from a newbie.

The pair I purchased with the low serial numbers makes me believe they were manufacutured in 1984 or 1985. They are teak finish and in near perfect condition. I bought them used from Canada but they were taken very good care of.

I've had no problems with them yet. I am not sure if these have been refoamed or not but at the moment they seem fine.

Look beautiful when waxed and the sound is stunning.Stick with the old ones you can't go wrong with the sound. AS for parts just keep an eye out for them as they do come up once in a while.

More questions from the swede....

The drivers in the 250 are they with cast aluminium frames, or ordinary pressed sheet metal? Any diffrerent between the verisons?

Dr Tinnitus

250ti versions

There certainly is a wealth of information to be found on this forum concerning the 250ti - but the number of types and versions (250ti, 250ti BQ, 250ti Limited Edition, 250ti Jubilee, etc, etc) is quite bewildering.

Does anyone have (or can point to) a "250ti matrix", that describes the various changes, charachteristics and production years for all 250ti versions?

I plan to build a 250ti DIY. I have secured all the drivers, and gotten the LE14's reconed. Everything is ready. But which "version" to build?

Quote Originally Posted by jerv View Post
    There certainly is a wealth of information to be found on this forum concerning the 250ti - but the number of types and versions (250ti, 250ti BQ, 250ti Limited Edition, 250ti Jubilee, etc, etc) is quite bewildering.

Does anyone have (or can point to) a "250ti matrix", that describes the various changes, charachteristics and production years for all 250ti versions?

I plan to build a 250ti DIY. I have secured all the drivers, and gotten the LE14's reconed. Everything is ready. But which "version" to build?

jerv,
    Well let me start off by saying by already having all the drivers in your possession you have taken care of the hardest part. There really is no correct version to build because all the 250TI's use the same drivers except for the 250TiBQ, uses a different tweeter, and different network which is discussed earlier. Also the Jubilee uses a different network. So the only thing you are faced with if you don't have them is the network. Some of the fellow members have used custom built charged coupled networks, and they can assist on design and parameters. I think Opimax had a member build him a set. I believe he would be more than happy to point you to who helped him. So get your cabinets done in any flavor you decide, get the networks built or try to seek a pair of N250TI networks and your done.

Good luck with the build, I hope this information helps.

P.S. Make sure you get the angle of the cabinet correct on the front panel for this angle has to do with Time Alignment of the drivers. Very important.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    all the 250TI's use the same drivers except for the 250TiBQ, uses a different tweeter, and different network which is discussed earlier. Also the Jubilee uses a different network.
    Jeff
    J/S-S1A

Now I don't get it really....

The speakers that I gave you some photos of, you (?) said it was the 250Ti BQ. But on the pictures it looks like the same Titanium tweeter as on the other Ti exept the Jubilee which have a more flat mouinted golden shiny tweeter.

So have I missunderstand something, or isn't it the Jubilee which have an other tweeter, and ofcourse the original L250 has it own tweeter too.

But are there also another tweeter in the black Limited Edition compared to the original 250 Ti? If so, then the Jubilee has yet another tweeter than that?

Dr Tinnitus

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    jerv,
    Well let me start off by saying by already having all the drivers in your possession you have taken care of the hardest part. There really is no correct version to build because all the 250TI's use the same drivers except for the 250TiBQ, uses a different tweeter, and different network which is discussed earlier. Also the Jubilee uses a different network.
    Thanks, Jeff.
    I was aware that the BQ uses the 035ti, and most other types use the 044ti. (I have the 044ti). I also plan to build charge-coupled networks. I'll keep the front panel angle in mind when building.

What confuses me, I guess, is the Limited Edition and the Jubilee versions - compared with the "original". I wonder what the differences really are.

Espen

I was told to buy the original 250TI, charge couple the XO, have the 044 tweeter coated w/Aquaplas, sit back and listen!

I am almost sure Guido here (lives in Germany)who does this stuff for a living would build you a lovely set of CC XO , he does good work!

The original 250ti comes in wood, has bus bars on the back for adjustments, specifically has the 044ti tweeter and the 104h poly cone (plastic rather than reated paper) midrange.

I have gotten a little frustrated non supported products because of availabilty of parts. Even if you purchase NOS the foam has deteriated over the years. This goes w/anything though that is past its intended life and in many ways makes it more a labor of love...and when it right it is right!!

There is a thread on Eargle where TI dome who has may jbl speakers rated 10 of his that he owns. The winner was the PT series (I think) the l250s were 4th (not ti but still). they are available and so are parts I believe. having been a while and learning I am not sure I would go the 250 route again...not sure I wouldn't either, never having heard the pt series

This last paragragh may need some corrections....

Mark

At the bottom of the page there are some suggested threads to read, many are related to your questions

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tinnitus View Post
    Now I don't get it really....

The speakers that I gave you some photos of, you (?) said it was the 250Ti BQ. But on the pictures it looks like the same Titanium tweeter as on the other Ti except the Jubilee which have a more flat mounted golden shiny tweeter.

So have I misunderstand something, or isn't it the Jubilee which have an other tweeter, and of course the original L250 has it own tweeter too.

But are there also another tweeter in the black Limited Edition compared to the original 250 Ti? If so, then the Jubilee has yet another tweeter than that?

Dr Tinnitus
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    This was all discussed before.

The 250ti Limited Edition (BQ) is the piano black "economy" version of the 250Ti.
    "Economy" as the network is far less advanced and the 044Ti is substituted by the 035TiA.

In Europe we had in addition the 250Ti classic edition. It had basically the BQ network but believe it or not, they saved the 0.005uF bypass caps. What a cost saving!! The classic edition had a golden 035TiA Tweeter (035TiA-2).

Then there was the Jubilee with charge coupled crossovers. A good idea BUT they used only electrolytic caps in it. Again cost issues.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...50ti/page4.jpg

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-ti/page09.jpg

Tweeters are listed above.
    The 250TI used the 044TI
    The 250TiBQ LE used the 035TiA

If you read the links, the material is the same used in the tweeter, but the mounting configuration is different. The 035Tia's mount from the front, and the 044TI's mount from the rear. So they are not interchangeable.

The 044TI tweeter was used from 1984/85 until 1991.

It also looks to me the Midrange driver in the 250TiBQ LE the voice coil is 3mm larger in dia. according to the factory brochure.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I was told to buy the original 250TI, charge couple the XO, have the 044 tweeter coated w/Aquaplas, sit back and listen!

I am almost sure Guido here (lives in Germany)who does this stuff for a living would build you a lovely set of CC XO , he does good work!

The original 250ti comes in wood, has bus bars on the back for adjustments, specifically has the 044ti tweeter and the 104h poly cone (plastic rather than reated paper) midrange.

There is a thread on Eargle where TI dome who has may jbl speakers rated 10 of his that he owns. The winner was the PT series (I think) the l250s were 4th (not ti but still). they are available and so are parts I believe. having been a while and learning I am not sure I would go the 250 route again...not sure I wouldn't either, never having heard the pt series

Well, after having built the 4425 (and played with the crossover for a LOOONG time, see thread http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=12431) and then a pair of (big PA) speakers with the 2225, the 2118 and the 2425/2370, I wanted to build the 250ti - mostly because so many on this forum speaks so favourably about it.

I have the LE14H-1, the 108H, the 104H poly and the 044ti. I also have the 035ti and the 104H-2 paper. (Here in Norway, none of these were easy to find). I plan to build the crossover networks myself. Before I start my table saw an soldering iron, I thought it would be good to understand the differences between the many 250ti models.

Maybe I stick my head a bit too far out on this: but which - in the forum's opinion - is the "best" or the most "classical" 250ti?

Espen

Quote Originally Posted by jerv View Post

Maybe I stick my head a bit too far out on this: but which - in the forum's opinion - is the "best" or the most "classical" 250ti?

Espen
    My opinion:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...rs/1984-ti.htm

1984/85 to 1991

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Hello again, the crazy swede is back.....

I've found a pair of L250 with refoamed drivers, don't know if that's for just the woofers or all the drivers. The price the salesman is asking for is recalculated to US curren, $1437. These ones loooks really nice in the pics

http://www.dba.dk/asp/soegning/detai...nceid=49743717

But is the L250 something to put your money in? Is it possible to upgrade it to a Ti in a resonable way in price and so? Or is it just the original 250Ti to aim for?

I also have sent an email to the guy in Denmark who have a pair of 250Ti black for sale asking $1797 for them. These is the one with modified XO with no cores that I mentioned earlier.

http://www.dba.dk/asp/soegning/detai...nceid=49539689

Dr Tinnitus

PM sent.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Personnally, I wouldn't bother with the L250 if there are 250Ti's on offer as well.

Upgrading L250's to 250Ti spec is possible in theory but damn expensive nowdays care of the 044Ti tweeter prices going thru the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Personnally, I wouldn't bother with the L250 if there are 250Ti's on offer as well.

Upgrading L250's to 250Ti spec is possible in theory but damn expensive nowdays care of the 044Ti tweeter prices going thru the roof.

Yup!

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Yes, that was the answer I was expecting, but I just wanted it confirmd.

But now the other speaker isn't of the most desired version, but of the "second best" Black Limited Edition.

I just have to see what might pops up, and what the salesman of the black ones have to say if he responds to my email.

Dr Tinnitus

Thread Information