Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Back on topic (sort of), don't go IR with the universal remote if you can afford it, look for "RF". When you're stringing macro scripts together you don't want to deal with line-of-sight IR issues.
    The Widget did an install for a neighbor, using that config. Brilliant. Works like a charm. Even I could manage it...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    The Widget did an install for a neighbor, using that config. Brilliant. Works like a charm. Even I could manage it...
    Meaning...which? An IR setup or an RF setup worked like a charm?

My main gripe about IR is that you have to maintain line-of-site from the remote to all of the IR receivers (each individual component, or, more expensively, an IR receiver that's branching out to individual components) for the entire duration of the macro/script. See Ti's post for examples of macros I'm describing. Press "watch movie" and put the remote down on your coffee table, and maybe 3 out of 7 events you programmed actually happen, so now components are out of sync in power or input status.

Just an FYI, lots of patient people deal with IR and are fine with it. Still others simply have eleven remotes on their coffee table.

je

p.s. Ti said 'LD player'. Can't tell you how many times my wife has pointed to the big Pioneer remote and said, "What's this one, then?"

Oh, that's the LD player.

""

Exclamation

Well, to clear up a suspected ground loop issue, I assembled the biAmp gear in a small rack yesterday. I may swap positions on the power amps - originally I hadn't planned to use the crown but the HK Citation 22 hasn't any ears and its just better suited on the B380 subwoofer. Plus it has those non-standard psuedo-giant banana jacks and I hate to switch wires on it.

The 6230 is running the low-split (2234s), the D-75 is running the high-split (for now) and its quite musical at the low levels we play it at.

So - at least for now, this rack seems to work well, and everything is centrally located. The wood is some cheap scraps from Ikea, but they match all the other beech stuff in the room.

The glass on top of the speakers are the pieces I had cut for the L200s cabinets - they are maybe 3/4" too short front-back but will protect the monitor cabs just fine (no plants will EVER go on THESE puppies.)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hello Heather

Are there vents on the bottom of the 6230?? If there are you may want to leave a rack space between the amp and the crossover. Just put in a perforated spacer so you have good airflow around the amp and it looks finished.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Heather

Are there vents on the bottom of the 6230?? If there are you may want to leave a rack space between the amp and the crossover. Just put in a perforated spacer so you have good airflow around the amp and it looks finished.

Rob
    Thanks for the tip!
    One thought - the crossover is only half as deep as the amp - and the amp only has holes on the bottom in the back - so tho it looks packed, the amp does have airflow space. But I'll look for a pair of perf panels to go above and below ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Hey Heather

I couldnt find the germain thread , but wondered how your fight with the seller of the bum JBL amp turned out ? Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere .

TOM

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thanks for the tip!
    One thought - the crossover is only half as deep as the amp - and the amp only has holes on the bottom in the back - so tho it looks packed, the amp does have airflow space. But I'll look for a pair of perf panels to go above and below ...
    most of the larger guitar shops have them for around twenty bux.just a thot but those interconnects might be due for an upgrade
    Last edited by jim campbell; 05-25-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by jim campbell View Post
    Most of the larger guitar shops have perf panels for around twenty bux. Just a thought, but those interconnects might be due for an upgrade.
    Currently using the D75 for the hisplit and the 6230 for the woofers.
    Well - I got a 1U panel "giveaway", hit it with 300 grit to scuff the surface, then shot it with Rustoleum Black gloss enamel (it had been white!)
    and used it to put space between the Crossover and the Crown D-75.
    Frankly - there was NO heat in either the crossover or the D-75 - but ... what the heck. I suspect when I pull the D-75 and put the 6230 ibn its place for the high split, then drop either a 6260 or 6290 (sans fans) on top for woofer duties, I think I'll need a new rack (taller) anyway ... but I'm not running anything near as hard as you might in commericial pro-sound usage.

Now ...to clarify ... what are you referring to when you say "interconnects"?
    Do you mean the wires from the signal sources to the preamp?
    Do you mean the wires from the preamp out to the Active Crossover?
    Do you mean the wires between the Active Crossover and the "biamps" ??
    Do you mean the wires from the amps to the speaker terminals?
    Do you mean the internal speaker (cabinet) wiring?

I'm not trying to be rude - I really don't know the term. I know when we wired up equipment racks in the 70's at the campus radio station we did everything with Belden 8451 - a high-grade, twisted pair within a shield jacket.
    I know when we rebuilt the headend at the local 200,000 subscriber CATV system (Simulsat, locals off-air demods/mods, fiber optic feed from News Channel 8) in the late 80s there were 60+ channels and multiple inputs and switching - some lines went to terminal strips and some were XLR, and we still used (basically) a newer equivalent to 8451. Perhaps thats all old school stuff these days? I know some folks use coaxial headend cable (good for 10 meg video signals - fussy stuff!) and some use cat5 datalines for signals - but I'd hate to think I'm using better cable between the devices (CD/DVD/FM/etc) than is used within the hardware itself. I mean, I'm not using a $1000 CD player, and it is just audio ...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Hey Heather

I couldnt find the germain thread , but wondered how your fight with the seller of the bum JBL amp turned out ? Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere .

TOM
    Actually, I did answer you but its gone now - guess one of the Mods didn't like the cut of my jab ...

Basic answer is my complaints with Paypal didn't go my way, so now I'm trying to refuse the charge via VISA - sent them the story and the pictures of the insides of the burned up amp. I also told them I have tried to return the amp but in the ebay ad the seller said they were closing down their studio and there may not be anyone at that address anymore to return it to, and that the seller doesn't reply to my emails - so I can't ship it back unless I know they are actually still there.

Apparently it may take between 6 weeks and 3 months or more to get a refund through VISA, but I have documented everything so far.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Basic answer is my complaints with Paypal didn't go my way,
    Why didn't Paypal stand behind you? And what about eBay's protection? There couldn't be a much more obviousl example of misrepresetation...

John

Frankly - there was NO heat in either the crossover or the D-75 - but ... what the heck. I suspect when I pull the D-75 and put the 6230 ibn its place for the high split, then drop either a 6260 or 6290 (sans fans) on top for woofer duties, I think I'll need a new rack (taller) anyway ... but I'm not running anything near as hard as you might in commericial pro-sound usage.
    Hello Heather

I don't get much at all either but it's good practice to give them breathing room. I can push my system hard with HT and with a 1 space gap they keep cool really well. I get more heat out of my Behringer than my amps I can't figure that one out. This is what I was talking about you can get them from Parts Express for about $10. I ended up making a custom rack for my active set-up. I couldn't find an intermediate size to fit what I wanted to rack. So I combined 2 racks to meet my needs.

Rob

the heat is on...

I can't tell you how many D75's came into the shop with massive failures.

Crown in their infinite wisdom used resistors that were *barely* large enough ( 1 watt ) and put them flush to the main board to feed the +/- 10V that the (3) chips needed to operate. and then they compounded the problem by mounting the zener diodes flush to the board and depriving them of their only heatsink, the wire leads.

Since packing racks is an obsession with studio and broadcast types, this forced these amplifiers ( which were left on for MANY hours at a time ) to cook. and cook. and cook. And of course all the other items in the rack generated their own heat signatures to compound the problem.

If you give it some breathing room, you will be fine.

And btw, paypal is an arm of ebay and their goal is to get all the fees they can and since it's the seller that coughs it up, guess whose side they are on??

If / when I swing by I will bring a 6260 parts carcass and maybe bring your poor boy back to life..:o) But you have to supply the local ale.

And I cannot imagine how many 1000ft rolls of 8451 I have used in my day...for damn near every hookup imaginable...

sub

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Why didn't Paypal stand behind you? And what about eBay's protection? There couldn't be a much more obviousl example of misrepresetation...

John
    No names - here's the basics of what happened. I won an ad for a 6260 - $100 plus $80 shipping from Studio City CA. I wrote the seller during the ad for some details on the amp and he assure me he had tested it and the "questionable distortion" mentioned in the ad - he could barely hear it and wasn't sure there was any problem.

I paid with Paypal at the end of the sale, using my VISA card. After I paid I wrote the seller and just asked if he'd let me know when it shipped - my email bounced. I wrote again, twice and it bounced again. I wrote using the ebay message form and heard nothing for two days so I lodged a claim via Paypal and explained the problem - but there are limited options on the claim form so I had to choose "Item not received" as my subject.

2 days later the seller writes Paypal and says "sorry 'bout the email problem, here's my new email address and by the way, it went out FedEx 2 days ago" of course, FedEx says it entered the system that day, the day he answered the claim, not the day of the sale as he claimed ...

I didn't cancel the claim because its hard to find out what that means to the buyers rights - and at that point I was suspicious.

The amp arrived, no padding, badly packed, and smelling burned and was useless.

The original claim is still pending - but I've had no direct response from any Paypal employee, even tho they claim to have emailed buyer and seller on at least 2 occasions - I got nothing (yet I get ebay mails just fine). I escalated the claim to a Dispute ...

Bottom line - because I actually got the amp, my claim was denied, incident was closed, and because Paypal only allows one dispute/claim per sale, I had no way to protest or take it further. They had the gall to send me a survey form so I complained there and then someone wrote and told me where I could find a phone number to speak to a live Paypal CSR.

I called the number and got a Paypal Customer Circus rep in India who, although being sympathetic, had no power to actually DO anything. I said i would have to dispute the charge via VISA buyer protection and she basically said "if thats what I have to do I should do it". SO very sorry I had a bad time blah blah blah ... pointless and useless! Just another frelling stalling tactic!!

Then I called VISA and danced around with THEM a few times - on the 3rd call I finally reached someone who was willing to tell me to Xerox and fill out the form on the back of my monthly statement and send it with a letter explaining the issue and they would look into it. (!)

I wrote a letter, included pictures of the burned up insides of the amp marked in red to highlight the details, and sent that off 2 weeks ago.

Emma told me she had disputed a charge on her VISA a couple years ago and said it can take 3 months or so to get a refund ..

so ... I'm patient - but firm. And still waiting ...

so, just for my own education..let me ask "what would you have done different - in retrospect ?

has the mistake been to file the claim under the "not received" heading ?
    was there a more appropriate heading ?
    would it have been better to delay filing the claim a little ?

I'm not trying to be funny or yank your chain , just want to be prepared
    in case I ever get into this situation.

keep us up to date on this , Heather ?

hope subwoof is able to help you with the damage.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    ..has the mistake been to file the claim under the "not received" heading ?
    was there a more appropriate heading ?
    I believe they have a heading something like "Item not as described": http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...d-process.html

The odd thing is that "not received" and "not as described" are under the same heading, (I didn't read the details).

John

Thread Information