Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Heather, I just noticed your reference to The Blue Nile. Good taste!
    Paul Buchanan is fantastic - wish they came out with material a bit more frequently ... but perhaps it would loose something if he did ...

of course I missed the one and only tour years ago ... but I missed Camel and even Gentle Giant as they toured - in the day.

Yeah - Over the hillside is fabulous on these speakers - the snap of the Linn drums - whew!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

They toured last Nov (minus one band member I think) and played Dublin over two nights in a classic intimate venue (Vicar Street).....but I completely missed it

They pop up every so often, there's a gig this July in Manchester, England. I am keeping an eye out to see if they will play Dublin again. You can normally see bands like that in small venues here (I saw David Byrne in a 300 seater venue 2 years ago)

Tinseltown in the Rain will always be one of my top 5 system demo tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    (I saw David Byrne in a 300 seater venue 2 years ago)
    We saw "Talking Heads" before anyone knew who they were. Radio station had a concert series at the Paramont called "Catch a Rising Star" . always $.92 admission.(station was 92.3 FM) They were paired with "The Outlaws". Not a bad concert investment.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Oh sod it, we're right off topic now!

That David Byrne concert went straight into my top 5 best. I was there with 3 other serious Dubliner music goers and they were awestruck (and these boys had seen it all).

Standing there, 15 feet from him, when they played Once in a Lifetime still brings back great memories. I shudder to think what Talking Heads were like in full flight during the early 80's.

Wow... I been gigging, and missed the WHOLE thing!

Nice score, Heather (and Emma... ) - what a cool transition your listening room has gone through! Thanks - those old stacks of stacks used to worry my acoustic conscience!

Now, just gotta get some furniture cleared outa the way, and off you go!

btw - on the comment speakerdave made about handtrucks: I stand cardboard behind the 4345, and gently lay it over ON the handtruck. These are very difficult to get your fingers under if laid onto the floor, so just keep it balanced on the handtruck when your working around inside. Lay a towel on the baffle when you remove the woofs, to set them on until you get the leads loose. Also, I don't think I'd worry about the extra fiberglass - that is virtual voume (won't affect the ports fuction). However, you may want them matched. Ask the seller if he added/removed any, or knows if this happened...

Now, you'll steadily find your CD collection is less and less enjoyable. Only few productions really work on cabinets like that - and I mean really work.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Now, you'll steadily find your CD collection is less and less enjoyable. Only few productions really work on cabinets like that - and I mean really work.
    Too right Bo, I have the same issue. That's why I'm spending more on vinyl now.

Nice score, Heather. Remember to replace those capacitors in the networks after you have had a listen for a while.

Wow... I been gigging, and missed the WHOLE thing!
    These are very difficult to get your fingers under if laid onto the floor, so just keep it balanced on the handtruck when your working around inside. Lay a towel on the baffle when you remove the woofs, to set them on until you get the leads loose.
    Good suggestion - fortunately the 4341s are a bit smaller than those 4345s - I can't even imagine lifting them from full flat ... I laid one of mine on its back yesterday (on the carpet) and it wasn't until I had it nearly flat before I realized it was going to be a problem getting it back up. Fortunately I was able to tip it slightly sideways and get a soft piece of 1 x 2 pine under the top edge , then lay it back, so I could get a hand hold (using my knees) to ease it back to a standing position.
    The towel for the baffleboard is a great suggestion - thanks!

Like I said - my immediate goal is to remove the hacked rear connector panel (with the big toggle switch and round cannon connector) and install a simpler panel with 2 pair of 5 way binding posts - so later I can remove the bass feed from the 3141 and feed the 2234s directly from the biamp system.

I'm currently running them on the HL receiver's 55w/ch outputs - but I'd love to feed those woofers with the Citation 22 - its overkill bridged feeding the B380 (which I can probably sell now!) but should be just about right in two channel mode for these woofers.

Thanks for the tips!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    ... my immediate goal is to remove the hacked rear connector panel (with the big toggle switch and round cannon connector) and install a simpler panel with 2 pair of 5 way binding posts - so later I can remove the bass feed from the 3141 and feed the 2234s directly from the biamp system...
    As you may already know, that "back panel" is the base of the crossover. Removing the woof will expose the crossover and it's mounting (machine) screws. Easy to remove, turn it over and there is the "panel". You may have to remove it, make some measurements and/or a plan for replacing the posts and preparing for the biamp connections...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

As you may already know, that "back panel" is the base of the crossover.
    Removing the woof will expose the crossover and it's mounting (machine) screws. Easy to remove, turn it over and there is the "panel". You may have to remove it, make some measurements and/or a plan for replacing the posts and preparing for the biamp connections...
    Thats the way the 3110 network was in the 4320s, but on the 4341 its quite a bit different (even moreso because there was an alternate secondary network installed circa 1984 (by the Clair Brothers speaker tech probably). The rear connector plate it came with had a 8 pin cannon connector and a big toggle switch above the push-type spring connectors.

Actually, on mine the crossover is in a large grey box with a metal perforated metal lid - looks like its bolted to the base (bottom) inside the "woofer cavity". It has a JBL grey label that says 3141 on the side but I couldn't read the serial number yesterday. It is 6 1/4 wide x 8 1/4 long x 4 1/4 inches tall.

The top cover has two grommet holes where the various wires exit - the grey bundle runs to the Lpad sub-assembly that gets mounted inside the top baffleboard. The other grommet has the loose pairs: red and black went to the rear input connector, green and black went to the 2234 terminals. So - I tied red and black to red and black on my new access plate, drilled a small hole on the side of my new plate for the green and black wired to exit the cabinet and connect externally to the lower binding posts, and made a short jumper of stranded copper zip cord (tinned on both ends) to go internally from the lower binding posts to the 2234.
    That way I can remove (and insulated) the LF leads from the 3141 when I want to biAmp, and feed the woofers from an external LF amp, and use a second amp to for the other binding posts to feed the 3141 and the other 3 drivers.

At least thats the plan until I can order a CC network from Riessen ...
    and swap them for the 3141 networks.

We have achieved the biamp technology!

HK receiver preamp out --> JBL/UREI 552 active preamp --<===

--> LF leg --> Citation 22 (200w/ch) ==2234 woofers direct
    --> HF leg --> Crown D75 (75w/ch) ===3141 crossover == 2123/2420/2405 drivers

They have a satisfying WHOOMP now when the music goes whoomp. You all were quite right --- waahoo!

The glass tops I had made for the L200s are a perfect fit in width, maybe 3/4 short front-back - so I'll use them on the Monitors. After wax-n-feed the cabinets are flat gorgeous - a few groves and dings but very few chips - the veneer is quite nice!

My biamp plans were actually a bit different - I had hoped to go all JBL for the biAmping - like Tom Loizeaux advised me to do last winter, but ...
    ... I bought a 6260 on ebay for the low split but it was all burned up inside
    and bought a 6230 on ebay for the hi-split - it looks gorgeous but no output.

Got a VISA chargeback going on the burned up amp - definate ripoff
    I just finished closing up the 6230 - looks fine but I think it got shook up in shipping - seller is VERY responsive to my emails

HK receiver preamp out -->
    Next baby-step, remove the "receiver" word from the signal path.

Time to grow-up to separates, Heather - you have reach the point of needing a quality pre-amp.

And, are you planning to measure the response of the system, and apply some EQ (as needed)...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Well, I can't beleive I missed this one...congradulations on what looks to be a great purchase...that would be soooo exciting...Welcome to the "big leauges"

Sorry to hear about the amp trouble...after being burned on Ebay Two ( too many) times, I no longer buy electronics there ( at least if I expect them to work), but will buy stuff from here and audiogon...

With the gang here to ( Bo, Rick, Giskard and others) guide you, you can be sure that things will get just right.

And, are you planning to measure the response of the system, and apply some EQ (as needed)...?
    agree big time...

Good luck..

lfh

Congrats from Stockholm, too

Fredrik

Time to grow-up to separates, Heather - you have reach the point of needing a quality pre-amp.

I know - Separates - nearly there ... but ...
    one big reason Emma bought into me dropping that kind of money was that I have always kept the system reasonably "Emma friendly" - the receiver allows her to switch to CNN or Comedy Central or our local ch9 HD News feed without too much grief. Shes good about powering up the receiver, the crossover, then the two amps - but going too full blown into pieces destroys the friendliness of the system (maybe next year ...)

Of course the other reason she let me drop that kind of money was, after hearing Steely Dan's AJA cd through them, she said they were at least a double jump beyond what we already had at home (bless her heart, she loves the good sounds!)

And - system measurements and EQ - well - the furniture is a kick, I need to move those other big boxes (L200s) down the road, and the right 4341 has a bad Lpad for the 2405 (a known problem when purchased) ... so I at least need to fix that before I go through a test/EQ session. And if I'm going to do that, I should probably set up the blank cards for the 5235 I got from Ian last fall and at least remove that variable (the 552) from the system.

Lots of possibilities!

...I have always kept the system reasonably "Emma friendly" -
    Uh-OH, Emma Bashing!!?? Better not!

You should put the system on a power distributor/surge protector - Surgex is my brand of choice, but Furman is plenty fine, too. I'm a rack-mount guy, but there are other configs...

My wifey and kids do just fine - one switch powers everything, and the QSC's safe power-up cycle brings them up, last, all-on-their-own.

A proper pre-amp has multiple inputs clearly marked, so Emma won't have any struggle moving into the new gear, I assure you. Plus, she, and you, will be astounded at the sounds that were masked by the receiver innards...

...if I'm going to do that, I should probably set up the blank cards for the 5235 I got from Ian last fall and at least remove that variable (the 552) from the system.
    That is your call, but I wouldn't shy away from the 552. It is very well made, and certainly newer than the 5235 unit (unbalanced, correct...?).

OK - keep us informed (I know you will... ).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information