Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Well, in the media room, I have the Ashley set at unity gain ...
    dropping the Yamaha EQ in and out doesn't seem to change levels.

downstairs signal path
    HK AVR Receiver
    front preamp out -> Yamaha EQ -> Ashley -> JBL 623/6260 Amps

downstairs signal type
    rca to XLR adapter at the first stage, then XLR-XLR (bal) for the interconnect to the Ashley, then XLR -. "stereo" Phone (bal) into the JBL amps ...

Upstairs is a Yamaha CR-1020 (vintage) receiver _ - I suppose I could make XLR to RCA jumpers to tie the EQ into one of the receiver's tape loops, but I didn't think it was a good thing to go back and forth from
    consumer -> Pro -> consumer

I only do the one conversion downstairs from the HK to the pro gear,
    and I think the HK preamp out is higher level that the vintage yamaha was ...

for what its worth,
    the JBL 6260 (off screen) that runs the woofers is set wide open,
    the JBL 6230 (low screen) that runs the high side is just a bit below wide open -
    seems to be not quite as shrill that way ...
    Glad it works out for you. Now think 5-channel and help me clean out my closet.

Heather it all looks really good!

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    Those yamahaha'a are very noisy. And so are the older MXR, soundcraftsman, DOD and other *MI* eq's that were sold in music stores. Fine for entry level SR and stage stuff but when used in the home they are hissy and there's nothing that can be done to change that ( it's more than a "chip" thing ).
    I've found many that are - but a few not so much. If it sounds good to you, love it! (and help clear Todd's closet! ). It is overall a surprisingly low-quality offering from Yamaha...

So, now that the rack looks so dang good, what in the world is that flimsy burnoose* doing over the 4341's!!

(* credits to Firesign Theatre)

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Heather it all looks really good!

I've found many that are - but a few not so much. If it sounds good to you, love it! (and help clear Todd's closet! ). It is overall a surprisingly low-quality offering from Yamaha...

So, now that the rack looks so dang good, what in the world is that flimsy burnoose* doing over the 4341's!!

(* credits to Firesign Theatre)
    Whale - my EQ came from Kentucky - so what Todd has in his closet is his concern

And the burnoose? Well, the 4341s are waiting for a pair of grills, of course!
    I've been spending all my money on other projects and something suffers ...
    (but that used Beemer IS getting good gas mileage and is fun to drive).

Due to a previous owner, our cats have no front claws (so they aren't an issue) and we are VERY careful around the woofers and lenses.

It just somewhat obscures what's there through the window ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Personally I never liked that name. if you do search its kinder messed up because if misspelled it gives a near enough search plus a few other threads don’t relate to the product.

Ashly
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=1532901

Ashley
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=1532899

Please leave out the letter E its one letter less.

I would ask you to consider the Marchand XM9 with the 4341.

That is what I have been using. It is hellaciously good.

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    I would ask you to consider the Marchand XM9 with the 4341.

That is what I have been using. It is hellaciously good.
    Maybe, but most of the Marchand gear is significantly expensive isn't it?
    I mean, barring unbelievable sales, what kind of money are we talking for something like that?

http://www.marchandelec.com/pricelst.html
    something like $600 for a crossover, not sure which is their EQ ...

But I already have a piece of EQ gear that works QUITE well - with the Yamaha I'm just putting a hint of a bump down at the very low end for movies and TV, and it works quite nicely - easy to bypass it for music ...

The Ashly crossover does all I ask it to - I'm not a recording engineer and can't justify my gear against the next session ... heck, I need to replace my old dual G4 PowerMac next ... the audio is working quite well for now ...

Maybe after I replace my 2420s with fresh 2425s and get the 2405 slots speced out, maybe then I'll build some CC passives and THEN I can look into higher end gear, but first things first -
    I've heard it said, when it comes to music - a fan's got to know their limits ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Looks like they also come in kit form as a wintertime project!
    XM9L-AA Deluxe Crossover, 24 dB/Oct, assembled $ 599.00
    XM9L-EZK Deluxe Crossover, 24 dB/Oct, EZKit $ 479.00
    XM9L-KK Deluxe Crossover, 24 dB/Oct, Kit $ 359.00

Balanced inputs/outputs are also available as an option.
    It doesn't look anywhere near as impressive a build as the Ashly. :dont-know

XM9:

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It doesn't look anywhere near as impressive a build as the Ashly.
    ...and the fact that Ashley wears glasses doesn't make her smart.

Widget

Hi,

yes, not impressive in that it is minimalistic and does its job and nothing more.

i think the whole project with custom blackgate power supply ran under 400. I also used a different enclosure and different terminals.

Then there is the issue that you still need the passive up top for the 3 way... so im not going to lie, its expensive, but well worth it.

i tried a few others from guitar center when i was having my marchand built and they paled in comparison -- edgy and harsh vs the clean detail of the marchand.

marchand isnt fancy, if anything it stripped down to do a few things well.

I wish i could give you more technicals, but im just saying a few 100 more in upfront cost yeilded some results that havent made me look elsewhere.

im not into fancy -- just good well-built stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ...and the fact that Ashley wears glasses doesn't make her smart.
    A simple observation! I believe you already! Seems you specify the crossover point and that's how it's built?

I never got to see Sean's 4341 system when he picked up the L5s for me, since he was out of town. He said I could buy the 4341s from him one day, but I guess I didn't wait long enough.

Hey Sean: I'll try to make it back to Beantown. Say hi to Kevin for me. Did he buy a BMW yet?

come by and listen to it anytime please!

nope, kevin is still rolling on a pair of Nikes!

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    i tried a few others from guitar center when i was having my marchand built and they paled in comparison -- edgy and harsh...
    I have used a number of low to mid priced "pro" active crossovers, I think the Ashly is about the best, but it is no Bryston, Marchand, Pass Labs, Symmetry, or even DEQX. That said, I've kept my XR-1001 just in case I find another use for it some day.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I have used a number of low to mid priced "pro" active crossovers, I think the Ashly is about the best, but it is no Bryston, Marchand, Pass Labs, Symmetry, or even DEQX. That said, I've kept my XR-1001 just in case I find another use for it some day.
    That's good to know. Not that I was concerned that there really was such a thing as nirvana! Looking at it actuarially, the odds are not in my favor of ever reaching it, with respect to high-fidelity, anyway.

FWIW; I've only heard "my" 4345 system so far using NZ's BSS FDS 310 crossover and I'll be using an Ashly, just like Heather! It's a start.

JBL 4645
    Looks like they also come in kit form as a wintertime project!It doesn't look anywhere near as impressive a build as the Ashly. :dont-know

XM9:
    What no circuitry for flashing LED indicators! Look how much space there is. I’d have to take picture of my other active crossover it’s a simple one with bass and treble with crossover at 500Hz I think? Only paid £50.00 for it I think several years ago.

Not that I was concerned that there really was such a thing as nirvana! Looking at it actuarially, the odds are not in my favor of ever reaching it, with respect to high-fidelity, anyway.
    Unfortunately all of these affordable crossovers and GEQ (Graphic Equalizers) and other outboard gear for that matter tend to use opamps that work quite well as intended, but they tend to add a haze of edgy glare or sound "edgy and harsh" as spwal put it. This might be acceptable in a PA application where you are not as concerned with nuance and you can simply lower the frequencies in the mids and upper mids where we hear this distortion, but in a home with a big horn based system that is already out of the box on the slightly edgy and harsh side of the spectrum... I think you get the point. It's a fine line and improvements in your front end will be enjoyed. Of course that also gives you something to look forward too. And then there is always the personal taste issue, there are folks who like a vintage A-7 in their living room without any EQ to tame it.

Widget

Thread Information