Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Jeepers Heather, well - since Bo started the ball rolling anyway, personally speaking - I'd leave the Ashly powered up all the time....I do it over here with my Marchand high pass DIY system AND my Ashly based low pass system.

I do other stuff to reduce my carbon footprint.
    ALL THE TIME!!!

I often forget to switch off all the audio equipment sometimes. The Alesis RA300 tend to warm the room up by a few (Celsius) not so cool in the summertime thou. But keeping everything turned ON 24/7 isn’t that a bit unnecessary I mean this isn’t the government where super computers are running all year round looking for keywords, this isn’t an emergency ward at hospital it’s the home!

I read something crazy about keeping a Behringer BFQ2496 turned on 24/7/365.

Okay let’s think about that shall we. The sun has been operating for billions of years for out which life on this planet would never had evolved. But living the electronics turned ON, hmmm, we don’t leave the light turned ON when we go to sleep, although I do in the kitchen, for the cat to see where the food and water boil is, and its litter tray.

I’m switching it OFF at night now because I’m running on (emergency power) till Wednesday. The smoke alarm is powered 24/7/365 because I can see the (LED flashing once every 47 seconds) the green LED is ON constantly, that must draw, consume very little electrical power over 365days?

I googled TRS

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    bop

5° / -3° today, its going to get quit nippy this evening!

I only leaned in brief that was told to all the students in the class a few years ago, at (music and technology course) that (XLR) is mans best friend and girls as well.

So what does (TRS) mean and what’s its purpose?

Oh, there is just one other thing thou.

Noise floor does this have anything to do with the -10db? Because when I re-cut the audio cables for XLR use I noticed a -10db drop from using RCA phone.
    The TRS "Tip-ring-sleeve" cable (2-conductor plus ground) This is a cable for balanced signals just like the XLR , it just has different connectors. Note that TRS cables are typically used for mono, not stereo, signals in most studio gear. The exception being the headphone jack.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JBLRaiser; 11-22-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: added pic

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    Note that TRS cables are typically used for mono, not stereo, signals in most studio gear.
    To clarify the possible meaning of this, TRS is most often used for effect sends and returns on studio consoles/mixers, where the signal is sent (mono) out one conductor of the TRS, and then returns (still mono) on the other conductor. That way, you've just got one plug/jack combination for each effect. This has been standard in this situation for years. Note - the cables themselves still need to be stereo for this, even though they're just dealing with mono signals.

John

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    The TRS "Tip-ring-sleeve" cable (2-conductor plus ground) This is a cable for balanced signals just like the XLR , it just has different connectors. Note that TRS cables are typically used for mono, not stereo, signals in most studio gear. The exception being the headphone jack.
    Well if you had said phone jack plug I would have said yes I know what mean. Yes, yes, I’ve tired that on my Alesis RA300 thou not TRS the phone jack plug was not TRS.

Thanks anyway for the brief education, cheers and have cosy winter night.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    To clarify the possible meaning of this...
    I'm nost sure that helped...

TRS is simply Tip-Ring-Sleeve as JBLRaiser said. In the application being discussed of relevance here, it is balanced: (+), (-) and shield.
    (+) = Tip
    (-) = Ring
    shield = Sleeve

This is an alternative balanced connector used in-conjuction with the three-pin XLR.

So, the questions to Heather are:
    - are you using XLR - TRS cables?
    - are they balanced inputs into the amps, as coming out from the Ashly?

------------------------------------

Other applications?

Elsewhere, TRS is used for single-jack unbalanced stereo as follows:
    (L+) = Tip
    (R+) = Ring
    common = Sleeve

Also, TRS is used for "single-point" insert cables which Y at their other end to an unbalanced input and an unbalanced output, as follows:
    Tip = send from the console, as unbalanced input to the outboard device (FX / dynamics).
    Ring = return to the console, from the outboard device.
    Sleeve = shield

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Also, TRS is used for "single-point" insert cables which Y at their other end to an unbalanced input and an unbalanced output, as follows:
    Tip = send from the console, as unbalanced input to the outboard device (FX / dynamics).
    Sleeve = shield
    Yeah - that's the only one I was going for. Thanks for adding/clarifying that other stuff. Compared to the situations you're exposed to, I have rather limited experience with all the other functionality out there, and don't feel really qualified to expand on stuff I'm not positive about...

John

OKAY - I've got a few hours before Emma wants to watch TV -
    I'll pull the amps out and begin to rerack everything - I'll put the poweramps on the bottom!
    (well, Vent panel on the bottom; then 6260 > vent > 6230 > Ashley > Adcom Switcher > etc ...

As to Connectors used:
    source is Harman Kardon AVR335 (receiver) -
    signal on a pair of stereo cables with RCA connectors (2 conductor)
    goes into XLR adapters when it feeds the Ashley inputs ...

I'll have specifics on the others later today ...

So, the questions to Heather are:
    - are you using XLR - TRS cables?
    - are they balanced inputs into the amps, as coming out from the Ashly?

------------------------------------

Other applications?

Elsewhere, TRS is used for single-jack unbalanced stereo as follows:
    (L+) = Tip
    (R+) = Ring
    common = Sleeve

Sleeve = shield
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Okay, its now re-reracked ... tho I do need some more vent panels and rack screws ... Guitar Center is handy for the screws at least

Hot and heavy on the bottom, Ashley and Adcom on the top - with space for expansion in the middle (maybe Soundcraftsmen or similar 1/3 octave EQ) at some point in the future. I plan to put a blank panel between the Ashley & the Adcom, which is awaiting rack ears.

I checked the cables, looks like the interconnect are XLRs with Belden 8451 or similar connected to 3 conductor phone plugs -
    no doubt XLR->TRS I soldered up based on a previous advice posting from you guys when I replaced the M552 ...

Sounds nice, anywho!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Hey, Heather,

Looks great, my Friend, well done!! I really do like the "vintage" HK stuff, and our system is almost completely made up of goodies Harman Kardon sold in the 1980's, with a few newer pieces. Besides a few CD player problems over the years, and some cassette decks in need of new belts, we've had outstanding longevity and service from our H/K gear. How has yours worked for you? Any problems, at all? Thanks for sharing your rack setup. Looks great! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Well, you kinda shot the phrase.........

"easier said than done" out of the water. My, that was fast. Looks good and I KNOW it will sound great. Excellent setup.
    Last edited by JBLRaiser; 11-22-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: housekeeping

Nice! Great job, Heather...

Hey - Speakerdave posted something, then deleted it, but it bears knowing.

That Urei-JBL 6260 is Pin3(+) (and Tip on TRS). So, by using that XLR -> TRS (i.e., Pin2(+) to Tip(+) ) you may have saved yourself some confusions with "old" Pin3 hot convention.

Nice! Great job, Heather...

Hey - Speakerdave posted something, then deleted it, but it bears knowing.

That Urei-JBL 6260 is Pin3(+) (and Tip on TRS). So, by using that XLR -> TRS (i.e., Pin2(+) to Tip(+) ) you may have saved yourself some confusions with "old" Pin3 hot convention.
    Cool - I know I had to redo the connectors a couple times as this thing evolved through various Crossovers -
    it got old quick, checkin' connectivity with the Fluke, but it does sound nice.
    Thanks to tips from you, Chas., Dave, Ducatista, Zilch, and a number of folks
    (prolly forgetting a buncha names - sorry!).

Actually sounds pretty great, tho I never whack it very loud, its the reserves that impress me most - subtle stuff.

1/3 Octvae dual EQ

Okay, next stage should be on the way this week ...
    instead of noisy behringer gear ...

Yamaha Q2031A Dual Ch. 1/3 Octave Equalizer

Frequency Response0 +/- 0.5dB 20Hz ~20kHz
    Total Harmonic DistortionLess than 0.1% @ +14dB 20Hz~20kHz
    Hum and Noise-96dB output noise; Input level control maximum and equalizer flat (0dB)
    Maximum Voltage Gain+24dB; Input sw at -20dB and Output sw at +4dB
    IndicatorsPower "On"......Red GEQ "On"....Green HPF "On" ....Green GEQ range "+6dB"....Orange Peak Indicator....Red Turns On when the instantaneous level is 3dB below clipping (+17 dB)
    ControlsGEQ: 31 band (1/3 octave) 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315, 400, 500, 630, 800, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k ,5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k, 20kHz :Range SW +/-6/12dB On/Off SW Input Level Control Input Level SW: -20/+4dB Output Level SW: -20/+4db
    Hi-Pass Filter (12dB/ octave)Roll off Frequency: 20 ~ 200Hz On/Off SW
    Power Requirement120V AC, 60Hz
    Power Consumption25W
    Dimension and Weight18-7/8" (W) x 3-1/2" (H) x 11-3/4" (D) (480 x 88 x 298mm) 10.6 lbs (4.8 kg)

I figure it winds up as first item in the rack-chain, THEN XLR-XLR to the Ashley Crossover and then the amps ...

IF its clean when I kick it to bypass mode!

Maybe yes, maybe no...

Are those interconnects XLR -> TRS, Heather? Balanced? If not, it would lower your noise floor to go that way, or stay XLRf -> XLRm...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Okay, next stage should be on the way this week ...
    instead of noisy behringer gear ...

Yamaha Q2031A Dual Ch. 1/3 Octave Equalizer

Frequency Response0 +/- 0.5dB 20Hz ~20kHzTotal Harmonic DistortionLess than 0.1% @ +14dB 20Hz~20kHzHum and Noise-96dB output noise; Input level control maximum and equalizer flat (0dB)Maximum Voltage Gain+24dB; Input sw at -20dB and Output sw at +4dBIndicatorsPower "On"......Red GEQ "On"....Green HPF "On" ....Green GEQ range "+6dB"....Orange Peak Indicator....Red Turns On when the instantaneous level is 3dB below clipping (+17 dB)ControlsGEQ: 31 band (1/3 octave) 20, 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315, 400, 500, 630, 800, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k ,5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k, 20kHz :Range SW +/-6/12dB On/Off SW Input Level Control Input Level SW: -20/+4dB Output Level SW: -20/+4dbHi-Pass Filter (12dB/ octave)Roll off Frequency: 20 ~ 200Hz On/Off SWPower Requirement120V AC, 60HzPower Consumption25WDimension and Weight18-7/8" (W) x 3-1/2" (H) x 11-3/4" (D) (480 x 88 x 298mm) 10.6 lbs (4.8 kg)

I figure it winds up as first item in the rack-chain, THEN XLR-XLR to the Ashley Crossover and then the amps ...

IF its clean when I kick it to bypass mode!
    Heather, you should have said something. I have one of those (and a mono version for center channel) just sitting on the shelf collecting dust. If you are still interested, just let me know. (Think surround sound.)

BTW, I was using them between the pre-out and pwr-in and when I had the 130As, I could easily hear the hiss. I ended up making cables that had resistors in the jacks to lower the signal by 10 dB just to get rid of it (well, most of it). The mono version didn't need the resistors. (I think it's slightly newer with it's own 10 dB compensation switch.)

I don't think this would have been necessary with the 2235s due to the reduced efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    Heather, you should have said something. I have one of those (and a mono version for center channel) just sitting on the shelf collecting dust. If you are still interested, just let me know. (Think surround sound.)

BTW, I was using them between the pre-out and pwr-in and when I had the 130As, I could easily hear the hiss. I ended up making cables that had resistors in the jacks to lower the signal by 10 dB just to get rid of it (well, most of it). The mono version didn't need the resistors. (I think it's slightly newer with it's own 10 dB compensation switch.)

I don't think this would have been necessary with the 2235s due to the reduced efficiency.

Appreciate the offer but I'll have to see how this plays before I decide if I want to go further with EQ on the center and rears ...

You say they are noisy?
    Were you running balanced XLR lines?

I didn't mention it on the list because, frankly, when things get commented on here, sometimes such things become popular and folks go after them.
    I mean, there are readers here that aren't "members" like us. I missed some L20Ts way back for that, and have never mention interest in anything in public threads until after I have possession ...

Besides, I didn't know you had any!

Thread Information