Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Senorita
    I can't even imagine lifting them from full flat ... I laid one of mine on its back yesterday (on the carpet) and it wasn't until I had it nearly flat before I realized it was going to be a problem getting it back up. Fortunately I was able to tip it slightly sideways and get a soft piece of 1 x 2 pine under the top edge , then lay it back, so I could get a hand hold (using my knees) to ease it back to a standing position.
    The towel for the baffleboard is a great suggestion - thanks!

Sounds like some mighty fine lovin'!!

Seriously,

Excellent monitors! You did very, very well. They will only appreciate. I'm sure you will nurse them back proper. Fine job!
    Nathan Mahler.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    absolutely , my yam c-4 is setup for 1 button - everything comes up.
    Okay - but I just got the HK 335 receiver to get adjustable level control, smart auto-switching from Stereo (for CDs, FM & vinyl) to Surround (for TV & DVDs) - remote with mute button for when elderly parents call, oh, and 55w/ch for center & surrounds (small room) plus preamp outs for the fronts to feed the biAmp stuff... (and to put money in the Harman basket instead of other firms ...)

One change at a time guys - the pocket is limited and completing the Monitors is really the first order of business - first I need to replace the bad UHF lPad, then ned a pair of 2121s or 2122s to replace the 2123s

'course if someone wanted to buy the L200s ... that might speed the process!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Why can't it be both? semi-OT and long

Bo's suggestion of the power distributor/surge protector is a good one but won't solve all the variables. I use power sequencers/surge protectors to turn everything on and off for various systems, but if I stopped there, I'd still have to get the right input going on the CRT projector, the correct channel on the OTR HD receiver, or the DVD player or VCR or LD player on, or the sound in stereo, DTS, PLIIx, 7.1 analog pass through, airTunes, etc.

So the second part of the equation for me is the Harmony 880 remote. Push one button, let's say for "Watch DVD" and
    -the pre/pro turns on and selects the DVD profile
    -the DVD player turns on and selects 7.1 analog audio output and component video output
    -the projector turns on and switches to component input
    -the amps turn on in sequence
    -the DVD controls, volume, and chapter numbers are all controlled on the same remote

Later, I want to watch Ugly Betty. I push one button, "Watch TV" and
    -the DVD player turns off
    -the OTR HD receiver turns on and selects RGB HD out
    -the pre/pro selects the Video 1 profile and PLIIx-C
    -the CRT PJ selects RGB 1080i
    -the HD receiver controls, channel selection, and volume are all controlled on the same remote

Afterward, it's time for Eargle on Everest, so I push "Play Music" and
    -the HD receiver turns off
    -the CD player turns on
    -the pre/pro selects the CD profile and stereo analog bypass
    -the CRT PJ turns off
    -the CD controls, volume, and track numbers are controlled on the same remote

Then I want to go to bed, so I hit "Off" and
    -the CD player turns off
    -the the pre/pro turns off
    -the amps power down in sequence

So four buttons to do all that. Annie loves it because she's a one button gal, and she hated it when there were three or four remotes to accomplish one thing. I betcha Emma would love it, too, and you're the go-to-techer to get it all set up over the Internet with your Mac or PC.

Put it on Emma's wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Bo's suggestion of the power distributor/surge protector is a good one but won't solve all the variables. I use power sequencers/surge protectors to turn everything on and off for various systems, but if I stopped there, I'd still have to get the right input going on the CRT projector, the correct channel on the OTR HD receiver, or the DVD player or VCR or LD player on, or the sound in stereo, DTS, PLIIx, 7.1 analog pass through, airTunes, etc.

So the second part of the equation for me is the Harmony 880 remote.

<SNIPS>

Put it on Emma's wish list.
    Heather- my new company sells & programs these by the boatload, let me know if you want to check one out or pick one up. I'm getting a Harmony 1000 as a temporary setup for my LR system (the full-boat Crestron system is a little while away), you can see that one in action or visit my company's theater/showroom which uses one of the Harmony handhelds.

je

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    Heather- my new company sells & programs these by the boatload, let me know if you want to check one out or pick one up. I'm getting a Harmony 1000 as a temporary setup for my LR system (the full-boat Crestron system is a little while away), you can see that one in action or visit my company's theater/showroom which uses one of the Harmony handhelds.

je
    Awesome - TiDome explains it all then you just pop up with connections to all this good stuff!

Again, the budget says its mundane stuff I need to pay for for the next few checks ... and replenish savings from Saturday's fun ... (partly by selling stuff, like the Triumph), but maybe June/July or so I will be looking into this!
    I gather I would still need something to manage power switching for the biAmp gear (crossover & amps) that wasn't made to be remoted ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Why can't it be both? ...

...semi-OT and long

See, I only have three sources and one set of mains - I'm far too simple for your complex setup, Doug. I got a clear picture of that reading your plan-of-attack for listening to the Eargle on Everest CD - man, I don't think I could even wire all that stuff up!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

See, I only have three sources and one set of mains - I'm far too simple for your complex setup, Doug. I got a clear picture of that reading your plan-of-attack for listening to the Eargle on Everest CD - man, I don't think I could even wire all that stuff up!
    C'mon - in my last job I managed commercial insertion gear on 5 major CATV systems in the DC area - Job before that I was a headend tech for a 200,000 subscriber CATV system in MoCo, MD - we rewired the whole darned thing one winter 64 channels with multiple audio/video/ fiber AML (microwave) and an all-channel priority override system for national emergency notification.

8-10 piece systems is easy!

But Emma is not such an ubergeek ...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Awesome - TiDome explains it all then you just pop up with connections to all this good stuff!

Again, the budget says its mundane stuff I need to pay for for the next few checks ... and replenish savings from Saturday's fun ... (partly by selling stuff, like the Triumph), but maybe June/July or so I will be looking into this!
    I gather I would still need something to manage power switching for the biAmp gear (crossover & amps) that wasn't made to be remoted ...
    NOT THE TRIUMPH!?! You need music and motorcycling for a well-balanced diet. (A Buell just passed by my window)

You live near wonderful riding roads. (A Shadow just came into the parking lot)

I rode to work today, and I arrived focused and inspired. (There's a bitchin' HawkGT next to my desk)

je
    Attached Images Attached Images  

NOT THE TRIUMPH!?! You need music and motorcycling for a well-balanced diet. (A Buell just passed by my window)

je
    Well - I don't have time or the workbench (currently) to really maintain a restoration project like a 1970 Triumph Trophy. When I had my 73 750 twin Triumph it had a bit more oomph and was a bit better keeping up in traffic. I was also a bit younger. But I didn't even ride it much last year (too d@mned many SUVs oblivious to their surroundings 'round these parts) , I just bought a new battery so I can get it started, and maybe I need a more complete bike (re: less project) - ... so I'll sell it for a bit under $2k including helmet and that pays for the monitors! Once I get the battery loaded & started I'll probably Craigslist it ... couple of weeks should be just about prime season.

Currently, I'll enjoy the investment better in the 4341s than I did last year in the Triumph ...

Audio/music is my money-making hobby, motorcycling is my money-sucking hobby. I end up broke, but balanced & happy...hopefully. Actual JBL content: we installed JBL speakers at a job on Friday. It was a Subway restaurant, with itty-bitty 70V control monitors off a TOA amp. Pays the bills, right?

(A Harley just rode by)

Good luck selling the Triumph, hope you can pick up something new soon.

je

p.s. considering selling the Hawk GT for a DRZ-400S, though...roads 'round here turn into gravel & cow pies without warning. A dream garage might be a 1/2/3/4 setup-

DR = single cylinder dual sport,
    Hawk GT = V-twin sporty bike,
    Triumph Thunderbird Sport = triple classic/cruiser,
    CB750 = inline four touring/standard.

Should cover all my needs.

(A V-Max this time)

Yeah - been there, done that (installed 70v Muzak systems mid 70s) ...
    dirty work, often hot and thankless ... at least for Muzak.

Actual JBL content: we installed JBL speakers at a job on Friday. It was a Subway restaurant, with itty-bitty 70V control monitors off a TOA amp. Pays the bills, right?
    dirty work, often hot (when near a kitchen) and thankless ... at least for Muzak.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    dirty work, often hot (when near a kitchen) and thankless ... at least for Muzak.
    The Subway was open & running, and they even wouldn't give our tech a drink- made him pay for it!

He bought a "small" soda and took 16 free refills throughout the day, I think he won. He bought lunch at a nearby competitor's, and said he was tempted to scatter the "Quiznos" napkins around the tables at the Subway.

je

Back on topic (sort of), don't go IR with the universal remote if you can afford it, look for "RF". When you're stringing macro scripts together you don't want to deal with line-of-sight IR issues.

je

Back on topic (sort of), don't go IR with the universal remote if you can afford it, look for "RF". When you're stringing macro scripts together you don't want to deal with line-of-sight IR issues.

je
    Okay, thanks!
    I bought one of the Universal Remote MX-500 units about 2 years ago via Amazon - perhaps I wasn't keen on the activity based programming at the time, but it was a pain to set up, didn't seem to remember my devices well, and seemed to hang. Of course, that was with the JVC receiver - maybe it'd be better with the HK AVR335 (?) ... (doubtful)

Woohoo! Got the pretty JBL amp from eBay fixed today.
    There is a wirewound fuse (slowblow??) on the top circuit board btw the relay and the xfmr. Looked ok but was open - replaced with a fuse from Radio Shack and it powered up just fine, big solid thunk when the relay closes. (popped one fuse from that surge). I suspect the original fuse broke from some jarring of the amp during shipping - and I may have fast acting fuses from Radio shack when I need slowblow .. 1/2 amp 250 Volt. (Ordered a pack of slowblow fuses and a pair of 8 ohm 50w Lpad for the bad uhf adjust from Parts express last night)

But I wired the amp to the woofer instead of the HK Citation 22 .. that 6230 sounds very nice. Probably not the headroom of the Citation 22 - its rated 200w/ch and the 6230 is around 110 (the OTHER JBL amp, the 6260 thats burned out, was supposed to be the woofer amp and the 6230 supposed to be the high split amp - but now at least one amp isn't a total loss!

FWIW - I have the glass-tops I bought for the L200s on the 4341s to protect the finish - and the amp is on wood spacers to allow airflow while I test it a bit. The wiring is temp - I'll go to dual ended banana plug cables once I know the amp is solid and can stay. I'll probably build a mini rack for the crossover and two amps once everything is settled with gear

Thread Information