Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

After the last couple ebay ads for the 4341 model, reading through Reissen thread on them and all the related info I could find here, it sounded like the 4340/41 model might actually be a 4 way that I could afford. From my low-buck hacked version we had gotten to like the sound of the drivers I had collected, but it wasn't quite right.

When the last ebay ad ended without a bid, I wrote Dave and made an offer - we went back and forth a few times - Dave's a busy guy - besides being part owner of a recording studio, he and his partner are on the road all the time supporting various bands. Anyway, we finally came to terms and set up a date for pickup for Sat May 5th. Dave wasn't able to make it so he had Bobbie meet us at the studio and help load the speakers. We took a couple CDs to sound check them - Played a bit of the Hillary Stagg CD I sent to Zilch, just because it starts with some real LOW bass, then switched to Steely Dan Aja and played bits of a couple songs. Very nice - had a smoother mid that the kludged hybrids seemed to lack somehow.
    Anyway - we started loading them into the CRV - turned out they fit best sideways(!) Got them loaded and took a tour of the studio and the many photos and gold discs on the walls for bands they had supported.
    Very cool studio!

We stopped at Prudhommes Lost Cajun restaurant - Wonderful cajun food just a bit outside York PA, run by Paul P's cousin ... Emma had blackened catfish with shrimp and crab claw topping - I had fried gator with redbeans and rice and draft Yeungling ... mightyfine!

Anyway, we just got home and I have to go get a neighbor to help me unload these and get them in the house before dark. Then flip my speaker wiring around to feed these conventionally at first, 'til I get time to open them and set them up for bi-amping (thanks for the lesson, Zilch).

More info here on the 4341s when I've got it ...

Once I've sorted these out a bit, the L200s will be up for sale.
    All mods to them were done in the external cabinets, so they are pretty stock and sound fine. (more on them in another thread later)
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sweeeeet!

Congrats! -grumpy

Man, those look nice. Did lenses and grilles come with them?

No grills, no lenses - but I got a spare set of lenses last summer - so I'll put the lenses that came with the 4320s on these, and put the spares on the L-200s. Grills? I'll find a way to make a set of them.

There is a small chip out of the right side of one near the back - but I suspect they'll come up real nice with Howard's feed'n'Wax ...

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Man, those look nice. Did lenses and grilles come with them?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Obsolete
    Very nice!

Very COOL, nice score Ms. Heather.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    There is a small chip out of the right side of one near the back - but I suspect they'll come up real nice with Howard's feed'n'Wax ...
    Lisa is yelling at me to tell you: Howard's Restore a Finish and 0000 steelwool! She says feednwax will screw you!

(Don't shoot me...Just the messenger)

ps. Congratulations!!!!!

S&L
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Awesome! Those are incredible and you got such a deal.

Is one of them missing a foilcal?

Good JOB, Heather !!

[Need more JBL Monitor Blue, do ya? ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Good JOB, Heather !!

[Need more JBL Monitor Blue, do ya? ]
    Yep - I'm gonna have to take some dimensions and order a couple yards - NEXT payday ...

I got them in the house, moved the L200s out of the corner and plopped them in place. Ran LF & RF speaker lines from the HK receiver - that'll have to do until I get chance to open them up and split off the woofers so I can use the biAmp gear. Anyway, with a lowly 55w/ch, and the B380 running, we just watched some odd Ewan Mcgregor movie called "Stay" real wackoo thing like Vanilla Sky.

really bassy soundtrack music but there was some moments of sound effects ... for instance - there was a sudden car crash Thud and smash - sheesh - I thought our big window had cracked - the impact! Bass has a much more palpable Attack & seems to play a lot lower as well.

According to the ebay description -
    The one foilcal has Serial Number 10009 - apparently quite a low number from Riessen's post here
    One foilcal is gone, no grills, no lenses. Some scratches (not too bad) a small chip on the lower right back side
    one UHF Lpad is bad and something is wrong in the other UHF network ... Also, it has
    2234 15" Woofers and
    2123 10" MidBass
    So at some point I do need to swap out the 2123s for a pair of 2122s to make them box/stock,
    but I will be interested in the Giskard cc crossover network and swapping out those nasty JBL pushpin connectors
    with some of the brass 5-way post - 2 pair per connect plate so I can run them in biAmp mode ...
    but - there's lots of time to do that, now that they are here!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    but I will be interested in the Giskard cc crossover network
    Contact riessen when and if you would like to order that kind of network.

.....So at some point I do need to swap out the 2123s for a pair of 2122s to make them box/stock.......
    Hi Heather. It looks like the JBL bug has got a hold of you too. It's no use fighting it. Just go with it. I think the first thing I'd do is get one of those repro foilcals. You can eventually get grills made but they do look pretty damn cool just the way they are with the blue baffles exposed to the world.

Anyway, here are the drivers specified for your 4341's according to JBL Pro's "Studio Monitor Reference Chart"

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sys...r%20Series.pdf

LF....... 2231A
    MF...... 2121
    HF...... 2420
    UHF.... 2405
    xover.. 3141

If your drivers are not stock, you have the choice of returning to the original drivers specified or updating to the those specified for the 4343b or 4344. And if the existing xovers are to be rebuilt anyway it might make it an easy decision to go the update route.

Quote Originally Posted by porschedpm View Post
    Hi Heather. It looks like the JBL bug has got a hold of you too. It's no use fighting it. Just go with it. I think the first thing I'd do is get one of those repro foilcals. You can eventually get grills made but they do look pretty damn cool just the way they are with the blue baffles exposed to the world.

Anyway, here are the drivers specified for your 4341's according to JBL Pro's "Studio Monitor Reference Chart"

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sys...r%20Series.pdf

LF 2231A
    MF 2121
    HF 2420
    UHF 2405
    xover 3141

If your drivers are not stock, you have the choice of returning to the original drivers specified or updating to the those specified for the 4343b or 4344. And if the existing xovers are to be rebuilt anyway it might make it an easy decision to go the update route.
    Mine are pretty early in the production run - the one foilcal says s/n 10009 - and I do plan to get a pair of repro foilcals!

In another thread on them, Riessen speculated that they were pretty early in the limited run of this model - say early-mid 1973. His came with 2230A woofers (white cone), and I guess thats probably what these had originally. The guys who had these said they worked for Clair Brothers sound and probably swapped in whatever driver was available when something failed - thus the 2234s and 2123s. I plan to correct the 10" midbass drivers based on everything I've read here (Giskard and the rest), not so sure the 15s need to be changed - I have more research to do on that, but the 2234s sound great - certainly a fuller bass sound than the 2215s I've been used to listening to from the 4320/L200/hybrid 4 ways I had kludged together. Emma says the hole in the lower mid-bass range is gone now and she's right.

I haven't opened the 4341s up yet (patience!) but from Dave's note (the seller)
    2234 15s, 2123 10s, 2420s & 2307 horns (my lenses), 2405 slots

The kludged 4-ways were all Alnico
    2215s 15s, 2123 10s, 2420 + short horns & lenses, 2405 slots -
    so the ONLY differences between those 4 ways and these are:

3141 crossover
    2234 15s
    well designed cabinet
    (and that Greg Timbers touch!)

All that is significant - Emma thinks we've moved up at least 2 notches in quality (and I haven't even done the biAmp thing yet).

so close...

I actually contacted dave long before the auction ended but I guess your offer ( though less ) was sweeter....:o)

I went thru the same holdingmybreath process when I bought my 4345's and they also needed a lot of work. Unfortunately I had to sell them due to family illness but I was hoping for these to get that feeling back..

You will find the 10 *really* needs to be the foam surround 2121 or 2122 for the cabinet to work correctly. The 2123 cannot be tamed with network tweaks or level control without a lot of work.

Any competent JBL reconer can add the mass ring to the 2234 to make it a 2235.

Networks that old should be removed and saved for resale and a nice pair of new ones built aka giskard/style for the best listening.

Enjoy!

sub

Well done Heather.

Ian

Thread Information