Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

so close...

I actually contacted dave long before the auction ended but I guess your offer ( though less ) was sweeter....:o)

I went thru the same holdingmybreath process when I bought my 4345's and they also needed a lot of work. Unfortunately I had to sell them due to family illness but I was hoping for these to get that feeling back..

You will find the 10 *really* needs to be the foam surround 2121 or 2122 for the cabinet to work correctly. The 2123 cannot be tamed with network tweaks or level control without a lot of work.

Any competent JBL reconer can add the mass ring to the 2234 to make it a 2235.

Networks that old should be removed and saved for resale and a nice pair of new ones built aka giskard/style for the best listening.

Enjoy!

sub

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    but I will be interested in the Giskard cc crossover network
    Contact riessen when and if you would like to order that kind of network.

Well done Heather.

Ian

Those look great Heather, congrats.

First impression is, the 4341 dimensions seem to blend in perfectly with your entertainment room.

Heather you have 'arrived' as they say. They look super and fit your room a little better. I bet you are smiling from ear to ear.

Way to go Heather!!! the funny part to me is your room is starting to look "normal" ,lol

When is the local JBL listening date?

Mark

Heather....Your really going to enjoy them!!!

Have Fun!
    MRPO

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    I actually contacted dave long before the auction ended but I guess your offer ( though less ) was sweeter....:o)

You will find the 10 *really* needs to be the foam surround 2121 or 2122 for the cabinet to work correctly. The 2123 cannot be tamed with network tweaks or level control without a lot of work.

Any competent JBL reconer can add the mass ring to the 2234 to make it a 2235.

Networks that old should be removed and saved for resale and a nice pair of new ones built aka giskard/style for the best listening.

Enjoy!

sub
    Thanks Sub - the whole thing floated about 3 weeks - I made a bid offline when the auction had just started - but he wanted to let the auction run its course, and I didn't want to pay $2 for an unknown. The pictures were pretty bad (cellphone??). Shows the value to the seller of taking some time to post Good Pictures (and not putting the starting bid so high).

And for the folks who say all the good JBLs are on the Left Coast -
    these speakers came from "Right Coast Recording Studio" - that was really their name, no joke ... a very cool bunch of folks who do road sound for major bands as well as a neat studio a bit outside York PA.

Again, they aren't perfect - I'll need to find a pair of 2121s (not too likely) or 2122s for the midbass drivers - and some work with the crossovers.

But they sound pretty sweet to us now even without the updates.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    .....So at some point I do need to swap out the 2123s for a pair of 2122s to make them box/stock.......
    Hi Heather. It looks like the JBL bug has got a hold of you too. It's no use fighting it. Just go with it. I think the first thing I'd do is get one of those repro foilcals. You can eventually get grills made but they do look pretty damn cool just the way they are with the blue baffles exposed to the world.

Anyway, here are the drivers specified for your 4341's according to JBL Pro's "Studio Monitor Reference Chart"

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sys...r%20Series.pdf

LF....... 2231A
    MF...... 2121
    HF...... 2420
    UHF.... 2405
    xover.. 3141

If your drivers are not stock, you have the choice of returning to the original drivers specified or updating to the those specified for the 4343b or 4344. And if the existing xovers are to be rebuilt anyway it might make it an easy decision to go the update route.

Quote Originally Posted by porschedpm View Post
    Hi Heather. It looks like the JBL bug has got a hold of you too. It's no use fighting it. Just go with it. I think the first thing I'd do is get one of those repro foilcals. You can eventually get grills made but they do look pretty damn cool just the way they are with the blue baffles exposed to the world.

Anyway, here are the drivers specified for your 4341's according to JBL Pro's "Studio Monitor Reference Chart"

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sys...r%20Series.pdf

LF 2231A
    MF 2121
    HF 2420
    UHF 2405
    xover 3141

If your drivers are not stock, you have the choice of returning to the original drivers specified or updating to the those specified for the 4343b or 4344. And if the existing xovers are to be rebuilt anyway it might make it an easy decision to go the update route.
    Mine are pretty early in the production run - the one foilcal says s/n 10009 - and I do plan to get a pair of repro foilcals!

In another thread on them, Riessen speculated that they were pretty early in the limited run of this model - say early-mid 1973. His came with 2230A woofers (white cone), and I guess thats probably what these had originally. The guys who had these said they worked for Clair Brothers sound and probably swapped in whatever driver was available when something failed - thus the 2234s and 2123s. I plan to correct the 10" midbass drivers based on everything I've read here (Giskard and the rest), not so sure the 15s need to be changed - I have more research to do on that, but the 2234s sound great - certainly a fuller bass sound than the 2215s I've been used to listening to from the 4320/L200/hybrid 4 ways I had kludged together. Emma says the hole in the lower mid-bass range is gone now and she's right.

I haven't opened the 4341s up yet (patience!) but from Dave's note (the seller)
    2234 15s, 2123 10s, 2420s & 2307 horns (my lenses), 2405 slots

The kludged 4-ways were all Alnico
    2215s 15s, 2123 10s, 2420 + short horns & lenses, 2405 slots -
    so the ONLY differences between those 4 ways and these are:

3141 crossover
    2234 15s
    well designed cabinet
    (and that Greg Timbers touch!)

All that is significant - Emma thinks we've moved up at least 2 notches in quality (and I haven't even done the biAmp thing yet).
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

What IF someone out there had a brand new pair of 4341 grilles, covered with Zilch Cloth - and what IF someone out there had a brand new pair of ORIGINAL factory 4341 baffle foil-cals.

How much insulation should be in the cabinets??

I've opened the cabinet to take a look at drivers and such and the one cabinet I opened is rammed full of what looks like Pink fiberglass insulation, in addition to the yellow stuff I I would have expected in there. I mean rammed full - I can't imagine how the ports would work with all of that in there.

Should I remove that excess stuff - at least from the main cavity where the 2234 works?

I have opened up 3 maybe 4 pairs of original 4341's and have found the upper area inside the read access FULL of folded and rolled up insulation. This I believe is normal for this model. The 4343 does not seem to be pack that full. Could this be that the 4341 cabinet has a smaller internal volume than the 4343????

Most JBL insulation you see is plain old everyday yellow - but JBL did use pink and I have found both colors in original cabinets. Early cabinets in the mid to late 60's used pink. I had a pair of 67 vintage Olympus that was full of pink.

The stock 4341 will have the upper areas packed full of insulation. In the lower area they also placed a thick blanket over the crossover, which is mounted to the floor of the cabinet.

Okay - I left the insulation in the top area - but I did pull the woofer on one box to sort out the connect panel and remove the extraneous other crossover they had built wired to the canon jack.

I'm mounting a pair of 5 way brass connectors with leads for the 3141 crossover output to the woofer coming through a small hole and tied externally for the bottom lugs (thus looped through for the 2234) and the top pair currently fed to the input of the 3141 network.

I'll cover the 3141 can and make sure the inner box surfaces are covered but that lower cavity area was literally rammed full of insulation. I'll pack it back in for now - but ..?

Congratulations Heather, you got The Blues!

Let The Good Times Roll

Thread Information