Thread: Upgrade suggestions? ( and a FS or trade maybe)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Upgrade suggestions? ( and a FS or trade maybe)

Hello all... thanks for a great site! I have a largely vintage system, and although I'm generally very pleased with it, some of my electronics are beginning to show their ages and I'm curious about suggestions on newer components...

As far as relevance to this board goes, I have a pair of 4343s that I adore. I'm running them in biamp mode, with a pair of Crown DC300As, also have Crown IC150, OC150 (no longer using) and a Behrenger crossover, along with assorted Dolby surround gear and a smaller set of JBLs for rear and center speakers. If I were replacing the DC300As (or should I have them rebuilt) any suggestions that give a good bang for the buck?
    In addition I have a Levison variable crossover (purchased directly from Mark when he was just starting Cello) which has a board specifically for the 4343 rolloff curve, that has a bad power supply hum but works when you power it from another supply. Do you think my Crown stuff (especially the unused IC and OC 150s) have any value? How about the Levison crossover?

I'm just thinking about modernizing my system and frankly I haven't been keeping up with who and what is out there, so suggestions are most welcome

Thanks a million... Paul

Hey...

John Nebel has one of the sweetest 4343 set-ups I've ever witnessed. I don't think he's ever posted the configuration - if he doesn't come outa the woodwork on this Thread soon, you might send him a "pm"...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hello Paul

Your older Crowns do have value, just go check E-Bay there are some up almost every day. I use a strapped D150A as a center channel amp and 2 D150A Series 2's in a biamp set-up with my XPL200 attemps. My mains use 3 Crown PS-200's. Those are real nice and are relatively inexpensive to get off ebay. Their big brothers PS-400 are up there too. They can be run balanced with an optional input module and are quiet as hell. Not sure how much of a improvement they are over your 300A's but they are nice and compared to new offer lots for the money.

Rob

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...9&BasicSearch=

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23787
    Last edited by Robh3606; 01-29-2004 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks for the comments and advice guys... Sounds like maybe I'm just as well off sticking with my Crown amps... I guess I'll just return to lurk mode and see if I get any (affordable ) inspirations. BTW... I have the original brochure for my 4343s as well as complete manuals etc for those and my Crown items. Anyone need copies, or has that been covered to death here in the past?

Tom Loizeaux

Paul,

I use a pair of 4343s as my main speakers as well. I power them in the bi-amp mode with a Crown PS-400 and PS-200 amp. I agree that these PS Crowns are very nice, and I'm very happy with them, though I sometimes wonder if a little more power would clean things up a little when I'm driving them hard. I use either a Rane AC22 crossover or a JBL 5235 with the 250Hz cards modified specifically for the 4343s. I am going to try a Crown FFX-2 crossover (@ 18dB/) to see which I prefer.
    It sounds to me as if your Crowns should be quite respectable and that your Levinson crossover should probably be serviced.
    There's always a place to go if you want to spend more money and improve your system, but to me, it's nice to get quality stuff that has stood the test of time, and to put the right stuff together to make a very nice sounding system without jumping into the "audiophile race". Simple, quality, vintage gear that's in top shape, is what pleases me.

Tom

I agree entirely Tom... I'm not one to chase the newest hardware, especially in audio gear. Once upon a time I did, and realized fast how easy it is to fall for the "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome.

I called about having my Levison crossover serviced at the time it went bad and the time and cost they gave me was so horrifying I opted to buy this Behringer unit (designed I believe for auditorium work) orignally as a temporary fix to be sold on Ebay afterwards, but I'm very very pleased, and it cost me less than the ballpark service charge on my Levison unit which doesn't have nearly the flexibility.
    Best wishes to all... great community here

Thread Information