Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: L.H. Should Pay for Web-Site Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hmmm, I might be misreading the message behind these posts, ( like the way I've posted them ) but to be clear;

- I'm not suggesting changing who actually hosts this web-site .

- I am suggesting that the membership start paying John & Ann for the great service that they provide .

AH! Then thats a different matter indeed!

But if you want to go that route, folks need to figure out a cost for such an item in the LHS budget, and make sure the budget covers that fee, however you decide to do it.

The recent "Eargle CD" fundraiser netted just over $700 - you can probably only do such a thing 2 or 3 times a year without wearing out the members - and understand that such a constant stream of fundraising (shades of PBS!!) will diminish the likelyhood of periodic non-gifted donations e.g, if you offer treats, people will tend to wait for the treats to give up money. That means the net response changes.

Of course you can sell T shirts and the like - but then your expense goes up (the Eargle CDs were basically a gift - Tshirts wouldn't be)

Lets save the SPAM fighting for another thread
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I am suggesting that the membership start paying John & Ann for the great service that they provide

It is John and Anns gift to the Site and all of us here so I can understand the desire to pay it back. I am sure this has already been discussed knowing Don. I feel that this discussion really belongs between Don, Ann and John as they know what transpired when John decided to host us. If we as members decide to do something for them, why not? I think that would be a great! Even if it's just a evening out on us it's something that we can all share in.

Rob

Its very interesting that there have been a number of threads on the site lately that debate this and that struture, concept or policy on the site.

Its one thing to suggest something, but quite another to argue passionately over it.

Giskard said it once, but I'll repeat it 'cause it doesn't seem to have been understood by a lot of folks (not bashing, honest).

Lansing Heritage Site (and the Forums) is not a Democracy. We didn't elect anyone to run it, they created it and let us in as guests.
    Its their place -
    so we really should be a lot more polite, respectful and reasonable while we are in their space.

Thats all - its not really something to argue over - its just is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    It is John and Anns gift to the Site and all of us here so I can understand the desire to pay it back. I am sure this has already been discussed knowing Don. I feel that this discussion really belongs between Don, Ann and John.
    Rob
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Heather,Heather,Heather

You offer suggestions in one post, then remark it's not our place to make suggestions in the next. You're a hoot, reminds of my friends ex wife.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH
    It is John and Anns gift to the Site and all of us here so I can understand the desire to pay it back. I am sure this has already been discussed knowing Don. I feel that this discussion really belongs between Don, Ann and John as they know what transpired when John decided to host us. If we as members decide to do something for them, why not? I think that would be a great! Even if it's just a evening out on us it's something that we can all share in.
    - Since my ( currently tabled ) suggestion appears to be "out of time & out of synch", I'm shelving the thought and I'm finished with this particular point, for the time being .

- The current treasurer might officially offer our hosting benefactors a night on the town ( or something suitably attractive to both John & Ann ), & paid for by LH, ( as suggested by RobH ).
    - A $ 500.00 "Honorarium" would be a more suitable "gift" in my opinion .

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Even if it's just a evening out on us it's something that we can all share in.

Rob
    I suggested this to Don last year, maybe two years ago. I agree, I think it would be a really nice gesture to send John and Ann to a really nice restaurant of their choice, in their city, for a great evening of dining and some very good wine.

I am more than willing to contribute to such a gesture.

This is something they could really enjoy and appreciate.

Lets do it.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I am more than willing to contribute to such a gesture.

This is something they could really enjoy and appreciate.

Lets do it.
    - I agree let's just do it , though ;

- From my perspective, we've already contributed.
    - The money presently exists in the sites' coffers .
    - Monies raised to date are for general expenses ( as far as I'm aware ) and weren't raised for any one specific purpose.

- So ; just spend some of the nest-egg .

Yes, Earl, we have already contributed to the site, but IMHO, this is a bit different. This is just doing something nice for people in appreciation for what they have provided for us.

scottyj

Yes, Earl, we have already contributed to the site, but IMHO, this is a bit different. This is just doing something nice for people in appreciation for what they have provided for us.
    - I disagree with that position / but nevertheless / here's a receipt showing my contribution . This is intended to start the "gifting" process .

Attached Images Attached Images  

Im going to match your contribution.

This should start the ball rolling!

scottyj

Im going to match your contribution.

This should start the ball rolling!
    Good for you Scott ! and Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi All,

- Simply put, I believe it's time that we put an end to the current "free-ride" that this site currently enjoys ( by getting free, Web-Site Hosting ) / and / that we submit to paying "fair market prices" for these services .

- I'll suggest that Jan. 1 2008 would be a reasonable date to start paying for the services . This time period should give the membership the necessary time to get the sites' financial health in order .

- I have no idea what this service would be worth ( perhaps John Nebel can enlighten us ) . It may cost more than what we currently raise on an annual basis.

- If so, the membership will need to stepup fund-raising activities ( or pay an annual membership fee based on "true-costs" ) .

- I also think, it wouldn't be a good idea to ask Harman Corp. to support this site financially .

This sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
    I would trust that Don's relationship with John Nebel is such that he would not allow John's wonderful good will in maintaining the site to be abused.

Many people would be willing to contribute if it was really needed to maintain the site, or simply to express our gratitude for the fine services which we have taken advantage of for many years now.

Sometimes I have concerns about how big the site is getting, especially since I love to upload pictures here, using up lots of server space I'm sure.
    But the quality of support for this website as it grown over the years would make me think that it is being managed quite well would make me hesitant to throw a monkey wrench into that machinery no matter how principled or well intentioned.

I'd leave it to Don and John, and save our wellspring of appreciation for whatever action they judge best.
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

I'd leave it to Don and John, and save our wellspring of appreciation for whatever action they judge best.
    Thank you and well said.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    This sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Earl, what brought on this sudden interest in bringing the subject of money into this space?

If we become too great a burden on John Nebel I would hope he would tell us and we could come up with a workable solution, however since he has been so generous with us it would seem to be an insult to suggest we pay him or move the site to a location that did charge us a hosting fee.

As for discussions about JBL's or Harman's participation in this site... they may visit, but they are not directly involved in any way. If you go to the Klipsch forum which is run by the folks at Klipsch, they have several employees who are tied up moderating and administering that site. They do a very good job and the level of censorship which is higher than here still allows contrary viewpoints about Klipsch products.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Earl, what brought on this sudden interest in bringing the subject of money into this space?
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl in post#20
    - Since my ( currently tabled ) suggestion appears to be "out of time & out of synch", I'm shelving the thought and I'm finished with this particular point, for the time being .
    As I said up in post 20 , I'm finished talking about the original subject ( ie; paying for the present web-hosting services we receive ) .

Thread Information