Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: A Forum Membership Fee

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker View Post
    Bring it on.
    Hmmm....shoot now ask questions later.....I assume you read this thread in its entirety, did you not? Sounds much like a moth to burning hot bulb! Guess the outcome!

Quote Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
    Hmmm....shoot now ask questions later.....I assume you read this thread in its entirety, did you not? Sounds much like a moth to burning hot bulb! Guess the outcome!
    Never saw you $$$, BRO, Still love ya though...
    "It only costs 80% extra to go first class"

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker View Post
    Never saw you $$$, BRO, Still love ya though...
    You proved my point!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    It woud seem pointless to keep this thread open if in fact you guys have already sorted some kind of agenda.
    I don't think this thread is pointless... it is always good to get feedback. That said, it seems that the usefulness of this thread has been realized and the likelihood of it devolving into noise is high.

Agenda sounds surreptitious to me, but as far as any concrete decisions on how to proceed, I don't think any have been made. We will in time make some changes, but the house isn't on fire and we have other responsibilities outside of this site that often take precedence.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Giskard,

Where can we all get some of those Pills?

Its not fair..share and share alike....LOL
    What pills? Don laid it out. There isn't much to argue about. This forum is what it is and there is no sense fighting for what it can never be.

I doubt if Bill Gate's would share your view.

In a few years whatever any forums represent and mean to you today will no doubt be quite different.

Its a case of determining if you have an active interest in these forums or not and for the former what if any changes need to be made to keep it a desireable place to share information.

I hope and pray we all don't devote as much time as some of us do on this forum. My god there is still PS3. XBox 360, Cable on Demand, So Much and so little time. My kids are staying home today. One of them is burning something downstairs that smells a lot like that incense they I to smell at rock concerts and the other is making something in the garage for a school project......but why so much gun powder? As for as Don posting here......well I'm making assumptions of course, but I have to believe he isn't posting here because it's not the place it used to be. It's an incredible place don't get me wrong. For a lot of us it's like a great campsite in the woods. You make it what you want. Then one weekend you come out and the place is loaded with folks you have never seen before with 2 cycle weedeaters, 2 cycle mosquito traps, 2 cycle noisy generators for their computers and coolers. Ah the campsite has changed. Very cool for some and vere dissapointing for others. That's the way it is and that's the way it's going to be.

Please. don't anyone percieve this as an attack......it's an observation. I'm sure on one hand Don & Steve are dissapointed that in some ways a lot has changed. In others ways...well they have to be very proud of this place. Proud of what it was and what it has become!

The best way to keep the Lansing Heritage alive is to have an open, vibrant community.

Otherwise it becomes one of two things:

1) A closed, limited community of initiates with secret handshakes, hidden ceremonies, locked doors, and exclusive privileges. Soon a ruling class of Grand Viziers emerges who determine the correct doctrine, the appropriate topics, the authorized procedures, and what the acceptable level of membership is.

2) A wild, uncontrolled free-for-all in which no rule is in force and no excess is out of bounds. Soon a destructive class of vandals emerges who blaspheme all doctrine, decry editorial control as facism, vacate all procedures, and drag all members into the vulgar gutter.

Somewhere between having a half dozen robed, secretive illuminati locked in an inner sanctum and seven thousand naked anarchists rioting in the streets, there is a place for a vibrant community. Perhaps a membership fee is not a currently feasible or necessary solution.

Another way to grow a community is through broader representation in the decision-making or in the advisory process. Another is greater transparency in that process.

As Audiobeer wrote, this is an observation. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    but the house isn't on fire

Widget
    Feel much better having read this. Many postings to this thread would lead one to beleive some feel differently. Good to see cooler (calmer) heads in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The best way to keep the Lansing Heritage alive is to have an open, vibrant community.

Otherwise it becomes one of two things:

1) A closed, limited community of initiates with secret handshakes, hidden ceremonies, locked doors, and exclusive privileges. Soon a ruling class of Grand Viziers emerges who determine the correct doctrine, the appropriate topics, the authorized procedures, and what the acceptable level of membership is.

2) A wild, uncontrolled free-for-all in which no rule is in force and no excess is out of bounds. Soon a destructive class of vandals emerges who blaspheme all doctrine, decry editorial control as facism, vacate all procedures, and drag all members into the vulgar gutter.

Somewhere between having a half dozen robed, secretive illuminati locked in an inner sanctum and seven thousand naked anarchists rioting in the streets, there is a place for a vibrant community. Perhaps a membership fee is not a currently feasible or necessary solution.

Another way to grow a community is through broader representation in the decision-making or in the advisory process. Another is greater transparency in that process.

As Audiobeer wrote, this is an observation. That's all.

I wasn't in favor of any changes but you make it sound interesting.

Thread Information