Thread: JBL in Japan

dennis j leisz

JBL in Japan

I have just returned from a week of business in Tokyo Japan where I always make some time to visit to Akihabra, electric town, to gaze at everything electriconic. From computers to cell phones to component parts. What caught my interest on this trip was all of the new JBL consumer products on display which I have never seen before. One of the shops had a pair of K2 S9800 at the top of the escalator. Close enough to almost walk into. Unfortunatly they were not hooked up. They also had the S5800 and the new S4000 on display. I secured a JBL Japanese catalog and found an interesting item. The 1500Al driver is available for 200,000 yen, the 435Be is 150,000 yen. There is a very interesting tweeter assembly the UT-045Be ,for placement atop the speaker, for a mere 500,000 yen. One US dollar will buy 103 yen as of this writing. The next shop had a pair of 4434 MkII in the entrance with a pair of new 4348 4 ways. I found a great speaker building shop with everything you need to spin a box. They stocked JBL and TAD. I picked up some very nice terminals for crossovers made by a company in Japan by the name of Tritec.
    I would be more than happy to send the Japanese catalog to someone who would post it on this site for all to share. Let me know by PM. Best Regards, Dennis

AudioGeek
    Dennis, I would think that perhaps Giskard would be happy to copy the catalog and then post it.(?)

Dennis,

You mentioned the rather strange placement of some of these high end JBLs. Is it that they don't really demo the JBLs, or is it that they are showing them off for all to see and if you were there to buy them, they would hook them up?

Widget

This page:

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/produc...s/jblcindx.htm

Will bring a grown man to tears.

IT's NOT FAIR!!!

NOT FAIR!!

I avoid that site like the plague!! Because every time I look at it I want to call JBL and SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!

Obsolete

Re: NOT FAIR!!

The Asian market understands high quality and the dynamics behind achieving that high quality. They don't take issue with spending $1,897.71 U.S. for a single 1500AL transducer. The 1500AL transducer is available to them because they can support and appreciate that availability. In the U.S. people act like they just swallowed a chicken bone sideways when you tell them that an LE10H recone will cost them $200.

Re: Re: NOT FAIR!!

Originally posted by Giskard
    In the U.S. people act like they just swallowed a chicken bone sideways ...
    I smell a tort case!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

AudioGeek
    ...probably because a $200. chicken bone IS expensive, AND it hurts your neck. (?)

And the Japanese people didn't vote for Bush.

Re: Re: NOT FAIR!!

Originally posted by Giskard
    The Asian market understands high quality and the dynamics behind achieving that high quality. They don't take issue with spending $1,897.71 U.S. for a single 1500AL transducer. The 1500AL transducer is available to them because they can support and appreciate that availability. In the U.S. people act like they just swallowed a chicken bone sideways when you tell them that an LE10H recone will cost them $200.
    I know what ja mean

Here they buy cigarette box sized satelite speakers and shoe box sized subs, pay almost no money and after all are satisfied with the "gorgeous" sound.

But 1,900 USD for one transducer is IMHO far too much money. you can buy 6 pcs. of 2235 for this amount of money. Don't want to judge what combi will sound better

Japanese people acting strange.
    I always compare them with our stupid germans which pay the double price than you US citizens for a Mercedes Benz and then on top pay extra for the air condition.
    Man thats stupid
    These people rise the price and i do not like this.
    But thats only my opinion

Alex Lancaster

Smile

I think the pricing is based on "what the market will bear", not cost; Diferent markets, dif. bears .

Alex.

Thread Information