Thread: L 36 woofer

Bruno GINARD

L 36 woofer

Hi all,

A friend of i is the owner of 4 L36.

The bass speakers are destroyed, especially the ring foam.

Does anybody knows if this model is still avalaible in replacement parts , and of course in Europe ?

Otherwise, is there an equivalent bass speaker model for the L36? ( JBL or anything else)

Regards,

Obsolete

Re: L 36 woofer

The alnico 125A was used in the L25, L26, L26A, L36, L36A, L120, L120A.
    The alnico 127A was used in the L40 and L50.
    The ferrite 127H was used in the L40A and L50A.

That should give you a rough idea of the number of these drivers produced.

These drivers use the C8R127A cone kit which has a current MSRP of $159.37.

The 125A has the dust dome inverted, the 127A/H has the dust dome mounted "normal".

The 125HR, which is the designated replacement and also uses the C8R127A cone kit, is available and in stock for an MSRP of $237.84.

Last edited by 4313B; 02-10-2004 at 08:54 AM.

Bruno GINARD
    Thank you very much Giskard for your fast and ful reply.

Some people have commented that the alnico and ceramic versions of this woofer sound different in the midrange, but personally, I've compared them and can't really say I can tell much difference. I guess if someone was comparing an alnico woofer with a weak magnet to a ceramic, then they should readily be able to hear THAT kind of differencel... but with both working to spec, the difference is pretty minimal in practice.

That said, I'd still like to have BOTH woofers in a pair, use the same baskets... if you get one ceramic replacement, I'd use the same thing in the other channel too. That way, as they age, they'll always sound the same... no difference in magnet degradation or whatnot.

BTW: On these 127A cone kits- has anyone else had problems with dustcaps with too much "dome" to them, not wanting to lay flat correctly on the cone, when installed inverted, ala 125A fashion (ie, the edges of the cap not fitting flush against the cone)? I've seen one or two woofers recently, that looked like they had this problem... but I dunno if these had original dustcaps or if they had been replaced by something generic or whatnot...

Obsolete
    Originally posted by GordonW
    BTW: On these 127A cone kits- has anyone else had problems with dustcaps with too much "dome" to them, not wanting to lay flat correctly on the cone, when installed inverted
    Yes dammit! The shape of the domes has been changed

In that case, I have a solution.

I had to rebuild a pair of 125A's for a customer, and ran into this. Instead of using the original dustcaps from the kit, I got hold of a pair of dustcaps from an aftermarket Peavey Black Widow recone kit. Had to cut them down to the right size (they're like 4.5" diameter) but they are EXACTLY the right "dome angle" to fit on the cone RIGHT, inverted... and they're even that "slightly bluish" gray, very much like many of the original JBL paper cone compositions. Worked great! That cap, applied with accelerated filled superglue (the "thick" formation, so it won't run off quickly) went on looking LIKE FACTORY... I was VERY happy with it, and so was the customer!

The nice thing? I got the owner of the local PA repair shop, to TRADE dustcaps with me, for FREE! Seems many of them would quite readily take an "expensive" JBL dustcap, in trade for a "cheap" Peavey dustcap... I'm betting this isn't an isolated experience...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Last edited by GordonW; 02-12-2004 at 07:50 AM.

Alex Lancaster

Question

Hi:

On the E130/40, does the aluminum vs paper dome really make any difference on the high end for guitar/bass use?

Thanks, Alex.

Obsolete
    Yes

Thread Information