Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D130 / 075 / N2400 Custom Box Job

ive decided to go back to my original design that i posted. i will not stack these tho. for the angle, i will make some cool legs for underneath them to give the angle i want. thanks i will keep you all posted. do any of you have experience with bondo and mdf wood? if so holler, i want to know which bondo is the best for filling craks and stuff in wood, thanks.

hey guys, i want to go old school with my stereo that is going to be pushing these speakers. my problem is i dont know a whole lot about old school stereos. i have a realistic reciever that i dont like much, so i might get a used reciever somewhere, any suggestions? (not to expensive) Also, i want a good amp for these speakers, nothing real powerful but something to really bring out their beautiful sound, any suggestions here also, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rrwalkertr View Post
    hey guys, i want to go old school with my stereo that is going to be pushing these speakers. my problem is i dont know a whole lot about old school stereos. i have a realistic reciever that i dont like much, so i might get a used reciever somewhere, any suggestions? (not to expensive) Also, i want a good amp for these speakers, nothing real powerful but something to really bring out their beautiful sound, any suggestions here also, thanks.
    try an older marantz reciever( 70's ) .. or older MAC ( 70's), should sound nice

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959 View Post
    try an older marantz reciever( 70's ) .. or older MAC ( 70's), should sound nice
    he said not too expensive - that probably shuts out anything by Mac, right?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

ive been looking at Marrantz and wow, those are some nice systems. I do have a tech question for you guys. From reading here, the D130 and 075 speakers are 16 ohm regardless of the fact they say 8 ohm on the speaker. So the question is this, alot of the older recievers say to run on 16 ohm speakers only or 8 ohm, or suggest you do this. So, if i run these on an 8ohm amp set up, will it hurt them? Im really confused on this, tanks.

Hi rrwalkertr
    Well, I don't know exactly what you mean by old school and your question could fall under the “Lansing Related Gear” forums. But, I ran my old 030 system with a variety of amplifiers over the years. So, I can only pass along my own experiences. My first amp was an EICO tube amp, with about 14 watt per channel, and boy did it suck. Second attempt was a Kenwood solid state amp with 40 watts per channel, it was better. But, I still felt the system was under powered. Then I tried a Crown Power Tech1 with 220 watts per channel, it sounded great, except for the loud fan noise. Next, I tried a Crown K1, in a way this is over kill. But, the K1 sounded really great. Last fall, I tried two crown D-75a in bridged mono mode, that’s 110 watts per channel. And I would have to say that two D-75A amps sounded the best.
    But, I know that two Crown D-75A amps are way out of your budget. So, I what I would like to recommend is the same amplifier that my nephew is currently using with my old 030 system. Look into a Yamaha RX-797 receiver, it got about 100 watts of clean power per channel and that should do you well.
    Oh, and just to clear up any confusion with any of the LH members that follow my postings. My nephew got my old 030 systems as a Christmas present last year.
    Baron030

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    he said not too expensive - that probably shuts out anything by Mac, right?
    depends on your definition of expense really..you can get a really good older 70's Mac receiver for around $400 to $800, or a 70's Marantz for around $200 to $500

I personally don't consider $400 to $800 expensive, BUT it ain't cheap either..

the Yamaha RX-797 receiver is nice also.....

best ask the old famous question.....How much are you willing to pay????

good luck in whatever you get....

well, when i decide to buy i wont mind spending a couple of hundred bucks for a good reciever. for now i have a realistic sta-100 thats not bad, so i might work on buying an amp first, and see how it goes from there, but i do want somewhat matching components so i can build a custom rack to hold them, thanks guys.

man its been a while. ive been so busy jeeze. i am about to get the wood for the boxes routed so all i have to do is brace and build. still finalizing the design but will post pics here when done. thanks for all the tips fellas and gals

Thread Information