Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D130 / 075 / N2400 Custom Box Job

Quote Originally Posted by rrwalkertr View Post
    man zilch, thats confusing lmao, any papers in laymans terms around hehehehe
    Bottom line:

When two sound sources producing identical program are displaced relative to each other, they will combine to produce a unique interference pattern that depends on the observer's location. The interference pattern is a result of the different arrival times from the two sources.

In other words, it's a sonic trainwreck....

my dad bought 4 boxes housing 1 d130 and 1 075 in each alone with a n2400 in each when he was younger. He has had these ever since and took great care of them. he will be giving me the second pair sometime down the road, maybe when they build their new house and move. Then i will have 4 complete boxes each with a d130, 075 and n2400.

thanks zilch, what is a good distance for these speakers to be away from each other? like 3 to 6 feet?

The other question is this, should i build a box to house both d130s and just one 075? if there is something like that, that would help really enhance the sound here, let me know

thanks zilch, what is a good distance for these speakers to be away from each other? like 3 to 6 feet?
    For stereo? It depends upon the space and listener distance. The 075 beams ~30°, so they'll likely have to be toed in, in any case. Certainly, your illustration of a horizontal configuration with the two tweeters in the center is also, well, "unworkable."

The other question is this, should i build a box to house both d130s and just one 075? if there is something like that, that would help really enhance the sound here, let me know
    There's ways to configure dual woofers, but 075 would be a bad choice for the HF. D130s might work in that configuration, but recognize you're dealing with what ultimately became a musical instrument transducer there. It needs a sub....

So should i sell one of these 075s and buy a different tweeter? i really dont want to sell any of them, i could always replace the tweets later. i guess what i have to keep in mind is i want to build a cool box for these, i know it might not be the best setup, but when i build this i want to make this setup sound the best. i am working on a couple of ideas right now, i will post images later on, thanks again. is it bad to put the d130s close to each other also?

is it bad to put the d130s close to each other also?
    Recognize that the D130s are playing most of the midrange. 2400 Hz is a relatively high frequency, in terms of program content. You can't have them close together for stereo, no.

If you use two of them per channel, I'm saying there's ways to make a pair play together better than a single. Look at 4435 and the new Everest II, for example.

But that's not merely a matter of throwing them in a box together, nope....

ok thanks, i will look into that. i am sure i need baffles and all inside the box if i pair them right. i am going to try to keep from doing that, i just need to get a box design i like and add the tilt to the faces, cause i do agree i want the sound projected up. what i am doing is to get my angle, im figuring at 8 feet away the sound will be 3 to 4 foot off ground, is this a good point to aim at?

what i am doing is to get my angle, im figuring at 8 feet away the sound will be 3 to 4 foot off ground, is this a good point to aim at?
    You're a mechanical engineer. You KNOW how to do that part....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

oh yeah i know the angle no problem, but i am asking if i have 2 or 4 of these in a 10X20 room, what would be the best distance to aim at, i know it depends on where i position these, but i have no idea where that will be yet. i think 8 foot away and 3 to 4 up is pretty good guess

For the billiard cave you have described, I'd be hanging them at the wall/ceiling junction, and designing accordingly.

Think upside-down L200s....

i could do this, but wow thats a big box to hang in corner isnt it? i will work on a disign for corner mounting and let you all give me some tips on it, thanks.

I didn't mean to imply corner/ceiling junction, but since you'll need toe-in anyway, that's probably not a bad idea for additional bass reinforcement. Calculate your angles to the target listening area. I'd use 30° conical as nominal dispersion.

Here's your HF beamwidth specs:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2402.pdf

hey guys, when i opened up the cover of the n2400, there are two coil looking things, those are the l pads? and there are two "needles" that run along them. i cant get to the one thats in the center with a pencil eraser, any suggestions? thanks.

hey guys, when i opened up the cover of the n2400, there are two coil looking things, those are the l pads? and there are two "needles" that run along them. i cant get to the one thats in the center with a pencil eraser, any suggestions? thanks.
    There should be a number of different kind of parts in the crossover, tho they used to fill them with something like beeswax to preserve and protect them.

There may be coils (inductors) resistors (the white boxy things in my photo),
    capacitors (big or smaller cylinders yellow and black plastic in mine, often a brown paper looking in older crossovers).
    The L pads are like a round box with a shaft coming out of the top. Looks like a volume control, if you know what that looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Here are some pictures of the crossover that needs repairing. you can see the two coils im talking about here, i cant get to the internal one to clean it. Someone suggested me cleaning it with a spray cleaner / lub lps 1 or something like that. what do you guys think, thanks.

Thread Information