Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can speaker change your listening Genre?

Can speaker change your listening Genre?

I am wondering if a speaker has the capability of changing your listening genre. Since I have been listening to the 4435's instead of the L65's, I find I am now listening to more Jazz, and Classical, then my old trusted Rock and Roll. Or is this just an age thing?? Today I played Toto's 1st album, made it through first song, removed album, and listened to Jazz. I hardly ever listened to jazz before. What is my problem?

Quote Originally Posted by fotodan View Post
    I am wondering if a speaker has the capability of changing your listening genre. Since I have been listening to the 4435's instead of the L65's, I find I am now listening to more Jazz, and Classical, then my old trusted Rock and Roll. Or is this just an age thing?? Today I played Toto's 1st album, made it through first song, removed album, and listened to Jazz. I hardly ever listened to jazz before. What is my problem?
    How old are you, Dan? You're tastes are just expanding. Give a listen to Toto IV.

With great speakers, you are opened up to so much more.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

What is my problem?
    You are now listening to accurate speakers, the music as intended by those who created and present it for your enjoyment.

The coloration of your previous stable, primarily L100 family, as I recall, ruined that for you, or you for it, perhaps.

It's what great speakers are about - transparency. The playing field is now level, and every genre has equal standing....

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    How old are you, Dan? You're tastes are just expanding. Give a listen to Toto IV.

With great speakers, you are opened up to so much more.

I do have toto IV. will listen to it this evening, age is 51, but still love my 70's-80's Rock & Roll, just always reaching for something different. I do love a lot of brass (BS&T's and chicago etc) Just cant seem to listen to groups like mountain, foghat, moontan. God I hope this is not my mid life crisis...

I do have toto IV. will listen to it this evening, age is 51, but still love my 70's-80's Rock & Roll, just always reaching for something different. I do love a lot of brass (BS&T's and chicago etc) Just cant seem to listen to groups like mountain, foghat, moontan. God I hope this is not my mid life crisis...
    yeah - when I was a lot younger I ridiculed friends who listened to Steely Dan - didn't see much there - I mean, i was into Progessive Music ands SD was faux jazz or something for ... (insert insulting name here)!

But I gave Emma the whole Steely Dan catalog for Christmas a couple years ago - and when we listen to it now on the biamped monitors, its real pleasant indeed! Those darned JBL pro Monitors - someone knew something when they made them (and mine are poor clones - I can only imagine on the real deal)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I know what you mean.

I think with more accurate speakers - our taste buds want music that is more richly defined in all areas. Mainly, we want music that can show off our speakers, so to speak.

-Storm

I have been a Steely Dan fan for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I currently have one of Donald Fagen's albums playing upstairs in my shop right now through my L200b's with two of my double 18 subs on each side! I am biamped with the subs at 80hz down with a dbx 120 subharmonic synth. Holy Smolies!!!

Everyone downstairs in the bar is wondering what is going on up there!?!

I put on "Bust a Move" and "The Humpty dance," and Heavy D's "now that we found love (what are we gonna do)" and Myrna, my boss, came out and wondered what the hell with all of black dance music??? I said listen to this humpin' and bumpin'! He didn't get it. Asked me to keep playing Steely Dan/Donald Fagen, Stevie Ray Vaughn and 80's disco funk.

Bottom line:
    Yes Virginia, GREAT speakers and amp combinations are like any true symbiotic relationship, where all of a sudden you can be swept into a genre you never embraced before!!!!

On our kitchen counter, I have a Zenith Z733 am/fm clock radio of 1953, that plays the KLEF classical music all day. It was completely unlike us a few years ago, but now classical music is certainly one of our most intimate choices, and that combined with the grandmother clock is the sound/heartbeat of our home, and Miss Victoria and TweetTweet seem to like it.

We are all professional musicians in my family of one sort or another, and you learn to appreciate different styles to fit certain moods. No, it doesn't surprise me at all, Dan, that you are opening your eyes and ears to new styles. It is also an opportunity for your wife to listen to some new things, also. Lisa loves Diana Krall, Kirk Franklin, PAUL ANKA - "Rock Swings," we went to Seattle for a Valentine's concert of Bobby Caldwell. She has different tastes and can't wait for me to leave so that she can dial up her own tunes!

Question: Is your kenwood KA-9100 amp for sale? That was my first real hifi amp when I was in high school and used it for years all though college and grad school. Loved it. Mine had "magic smoke" billow out of it one day.

Hope all is well with everyone. I know this is long-winded, but electrical engineers tend to be exact and complete in their reports!

Scott.

ps. How come there is no smilies of a "white and nerdy" / geeky face?
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

kenwood 9100 amp

Scott, Sorry I could never part with my 9100. First amp I ever owned, Hell my whole system is the first I ever owned. 30+ years out of them and not one single problem. I guess they were built like a tank back then. They sure do ROCK. Use to blow many a friends speakers with the 9100..

I am not sure if this has anything to do in this thread. That is why I miss the OT.

ANYWAY: no... must be wrong. Sorry.

This is not a complain, just a frustration.

I think people who seriously listen to music will tend to gravitate toward music that sounds good on their speakers and associated equipment or even specific recordings that sound better than others. Since I enjoy virtually all music, I took the tack of having many flavors of systems to enjoy it all.

With the acquisition of the Performance Series, the need for multiple systems was probably obviated, but I enjoyed the variety of sonic signatures so much, it was hard to get rid of anything. So I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I am not sure if this has anything to do in this thread. That is why I miss the OT.

ANYWAY: no... must be wrong. Sorry.

This is not a complain, just a frustration.
    You're right, it's not a good fit here; probably general audio discussion or maybe music. I'm sure it will go to the right place, Rolf, just give it a chance.

I hate Jazz and have always hated jazz it has never put me in the mood for it. When I hear it I must get away from it. I don't know why but this is so.

I came home one day last week I believe and my daughter was playing a piece through my system only running the 250ti's and it was an excellent piece of music. Have to get the name from my daughter.Well anyways it was jazz and I never heard the end of it from my kids.They all know my dislike for the stuff. These speakers made it sound good and maybe that's been the problem all along that I always heard jazz on SH** speakers. I have asked my daughter to bring that cd back to my house and will give it a go.

Rolf,there's nothing we can do but make the best of it. Maybe this is a good thing to get us more involved in the audio area. I have decided to give it a try and maybe it will work itself out.maybe it will work for you to.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    I think people who seriously listen to music will tend to gravitate toward music that sounds good on their speakers...
    Don't you think the converse is more likely? As in, "I like three chord rock and it sounds great on Bose so I buy Bose?" Actually nothing sounds particularly good on Bose. That was just an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Since I enjoy virtually all music, I took the tack of having many flavors of systems to enjoy it all.

With the acquisition of the Performance Series, the need for multiple systems was probably obviated
    I know what you mean... I used to have two to three systems for listening to different genres... now that I have a system that I find covers pretty much all of my hi-fi requirements, a single system does seem to be all that is needed.

As for personal tastes changing along with your gear? Perhaps. I am certainly drawn toward music that has been recorded acoustically or at least has been recorded by an engineer or producer with a sense of space... I really enjoy a well defined soundstage that isn't glorified mono. That said, there are musician's whose music is so compelling that it sounds great even on a boom box.

Widget

I am wondering if a speaker has the capability of changing your listening genre. Since I have been listening to the 4435's instead of the L65's, I find I am now listening to more Jazz, and Classical, then my old trusted Rock and Roll.
    Much of that has to do with the recording engineering.

The stuff you are gravitating toward many of us have found to be more "properly" done. Less compression, more openess, natural ambiance (room and instrument) - things that rock is not. In rock, there are a lot of instruments at high signal levels competing for your attention - the Kit is raging away while the bass is semi-soloing behind the lead guitar, behind the voice. That is tough to manage. Jazz and classical have more dynamic range, tend to more deftly support the solo(s). The ability to faithfully reproduce that takes more delicate, nuanced engineering - and speakers that can do it.

As a consequence, some 80% of my CD collection is generally no longer listened to. Patricia Barber rules... Actually, her engineer Jim Anderson is who gets the kudos.

-----

sidebar:

At CES, Andrew Jones, chief engineer, TAD, told a story of meeting with Anderson a couple of times to discuss the timbre of Barber's voice - was it real, or a function of the recording process? It is real, and Jones worked hard on the Reference One to reproduce Barber's voice faithfully. The Reference One does that, and more...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    I hate Jazz and have always hated jazz it has never put me in the mood for it. When I hear it I must get away from it. I don't know why but this is so.
    you are probably listening to the wrong kind of jazz.imagine if you will,musicians who are so well versed in their instruments they can create whole solos on the spot using the ideas bounced off their band mates.most of what passes for rock these days is a lot of overproduced nonsense that would be a colossal bore without the pyro,hairdos,costumes and lifestyles of the guys who play it.sure a lot of this stuff can make speakers sound good but its the music that is the goal,and sometimes the best stuff wasnt captured on a 32 track board in a multi million buck studio.i still rue the day that mtv and rock videos turned what was an aural experience into a tattooed,jumping up and down,big haired,silly assed clothed nightmare

I always detested Elvis and Sinatra. But now in my mature years, I've really grown to appreciate their production values/voices and the current setup makes them sound pretty good.

Would I buy their music ? naw...... but wont run over to switch channels anymore, either.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information