Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Member Count and Zero Post Members

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    If you want this place to survive try contributing in a positive manner by adding real substance to these forums.
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by rek50 View Post
    April 03-April 07

Whew, over 7,961 posts.

HEY, This forum STILL has grade A, rock solid information and data. Like
    diamonds "Hidden" in a mine, or chunks of gold in a stream, you have to "work" past the inevitable, predictable, "Din". Scrub the oyster, to find the pearl, type thing. Small price to pay for knowledge.

Carry On............
    The start date was back in 2000 and the actual post count is roughly triple that but who's counting. You and others have brought up this point numerous times and my response has always been - those who actually have the most to contribute have fallen way behind. The simple explanation is this - at one time one could log on and scan the posts for pertinent questions and fire off answers to those questions. What has happened is that merely logging on has now become a daunting process with so much "content" to sift through for pertinent questions to provide proper answers to that it simply isn't a doable process any longer. You know what the answer to that has been? "Let them figure it all out themselves."

Nice post Heather.
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    the Lansing Forum is basically a labor of love
    You are correct in that it was a labor of love, and a ferocious one at that. I cannot express the amount of disappointment I have with the way this forum turned out. Oh well, I'll get over it someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
    This thread has drawn a lot of reply's both pro and con and won't die.Why is this? Very simple IMHO. You have removed the human element from this site.
    If closing OT is removing the human element from the site then good riddance! I'm not even going to allow myself to continue on the rant I have brewing right now. Put your hands over your head and step away from the keyboard!

BTW - I do know what you mean and I understand where you are coming from. It is extremely easy for me to argue for either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Exactly.
    The start date was back in 2000 and the actual post count is roughly triple that but who's counting.
    I believe I became a member in 2001. Don't you (or Don, or others that started this site) have any comments regarding my reply to you?

EDIT ...
    now ... one of the threads that should have been closed a long time ago is: "What are you playing now".

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    now ... one of the threads that should have been closed a long time ago is: "What are you playing now".
    But there are no fights in there - it doesn't take any effort to moderate it like Global Warming, Al got Gored did ...

Really - its Moderators managing their limited time and resources ...
    and yes, I have posted in both threads ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

But there are no fights in there - it doesn't take any effort to moderate it like Global Warming, Al got Gored did ...

Really - its Moderators managing their limited time and resources ...
    and yes, I have posted in both threads ...
    Yes, and reading (like my few posts there) posts from drunk people. At least the Al Gore thread has a meaning. But I don't expect you to understand the seriously in this. (After reading your posts)

But its a VOLUNTEER site - its not bought and paid for - you don't pay a monthly fee to use the service.

Who was gonna go through that Al Got Gored thread and tell people which posts stay and which are off topic?? Its not the point of the site.

You put resources where you can afford to put them. Its a volunteer site and Moderators - GOOD Moderators are a rare commodity
    A contribution to this site should give you that priviledge.This forum is about people and information it is not about people who have the biggest feet.

A moderator 's job is to keep the peace. If thread's are out of line it is not our fault we don't have delete access. Only the moderators have that access and if they can not perform their volunteer duties than get some more moderators.It was suggested that you Heather be a moderator to dump the chumps(good idea) allow's the moderator's to concentrate in other area's.

Even good moderator's are human and they do make mistake's like this one.

I don't drink and come online - but I'm not going to be drawn into a fight about the site.

I have built websites and forums for years - its what I do for a living.
    I built Bulletin Boards as a hobby before that - since 1990.

But when I read people like KJ talking about checks and balance -
    or you talking about censorship and political oppression here (not in those words directly, but thats really what you have been implying), I have to wonder what kind of life some of you have outside the computer.

Insulting me does no good - I don't own the site or control it. I didn't make the changes, and can't change it back - but I understand WHY it happened.

I'll go home and have a steak and a beer and snuggle my honey and the site will still be here tomorrow.

Its spring - flowers and trees are blooming - it was mid-70s yesterday. Take a few moments offline and relax. have a beer or wine, listen to some music. Watch a movie. relax some more.

Be nice to each other ... sheesh. How can you talk about community and be so insulting to the volunteers here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Yes, and reading (like my few posts there) posts from drunk people. At least the Al Gore thread has a meaning. But I don't expect you to understand the seriously in this. (After reading your posts)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

A contribution to this site should give you that priviledge.
    No - a Contribution is just that - you CHOOSE to contribute.
    Its not a fee that grants you rights and privileges.
    You don't get a BILL and you don't have controlling interests.

I pay a $45 monthly BILL before each month to my cable company just for Internet access.

I use a few web sites that charge a membership fee and I pay those because I put that kind of value on them.

But LHS doesn't charge a fee.

I contributed money to the LHS site last year because it gave me value - it saved me money on a couple of my purchases - I was smarter for it.
    I didn't HAVE to pay - it was my choice.
    This is like PBS - pay if you like and enjoy what's offered.
    If you don't like it, you change the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Exactly.
    The start date was back in 2000 and the actual post count is roughly triple that but who's counting. You and others have brought up this point numerous times and my response has always been - those who actually have the most to contribute have fallen way behind. The simple explanation is this - at one time one could log on and scan the posts for pertinent questions and fire off answers to those questions. What has happened is that merely logging on has now become a daunting process with so much "content" to sift through for pertinent questions to provide proper answers to that it simply isn't a doable process any longer. You know what the answer to that has been? "Let them figure it all out themselves."
    Maybe this is because you are too concerned about what was in the Off topic area, so you chose to read through all the BS instead of being in the area where your skills were needed.

Name one person here or anywhere that goes through life and puts JBL into every discussion they have, then why is that required here?

Giskard you have a knack for eliminating the human element and it speaks well of your reputation,However I am not like you and I like a little human element in my life.I prefer not to be a robot!

Name one person here or anywhere that goes through life and puts JBL into every discussion they have, then why is that required here?
    Because its a JBL website - see the name on the top of EVERY PAGE

Giskard you have a knack for eliminating the human element and it speaks well of your reputation,However I am not like you and I like a little human element in my life.I prefer not to be a robot!
    Maybe you need to join some other sites to get that human element?
    Come here for JBL, go there as well for chatchat ...
    Does it ALL have to be on this ONE SITE?

Because its a JBL website - see the name on the top of EVERY PAGE

Maybe you need to join other sites for that human element?
    Then you wonder why you get the insults even though I never insulted you.There are better ways to say something Heather,your answers or reply's are sarcastic to say the least.

How is that you being one of the major contributors in the off topic area that you can do such an about face in so short of time?Are you going with the flow?Hopping on the band wagon?

I also don't need to go to another forum to get the human element,I prefer to stay right here and enjoy it here.

Hello Kingjames

A moderator 's job is to keep the peace. If thread's are out of line it is not our fault we don't have delete access.
    So it's the Moderators fault?? They forced you to post something that should not have been posted?? We are supposed to keep the peace??

How about accepting some responsabillity for your own actions. We did very well for years without Moderation because as a group we were self moderating. We all gave a damn about what was posted here and didn't use the Forums to harrass other members.

if they can not perform their volunteer duties than get some more moderators.
    You want more Moderators?? Why don't you pretend to be one before the poison pen comes out?? You the members are the Forum and you set the tone here. Why don't you all treat each other with a little more respect and you will see less and less Moderation.

Rob

No - a Contribution is just that - you CHOOSE to contribute.
    Its not a fee that grants you rights and privileges.
    You don't get a BILL and you don't have controlling interests.

I pay a $45 monthly BILL before each month to my cable company just for Internet access.

I use a few web sites that charge a membership fee and I pay those because I put that kind of value on them.

But LHS doesn't charge a fee.

I contributed money to the LHS site last year because it gave me value - it saved me money on a couple of my purchases - I was smarter for it.
    I didn't HAVE to pay - it was my choice.
    This is like PBS - pay if you like and enjoy what's offered.
    If you don't like it, you change the station.
    Again you take what I say out of context. I don't expect priviledge's because I made a contribution, I did it because of what this site had to offer.How many contributions were there from the people who want the off topic area? This is the core question.

By the way get rid of the Birthday announcements as this is a human element category.I'm done with this as I might get myself banned.

This thread has degenerated into the same exact things that were happening in OT, and WHY OT was removed! Mudslinging and fur flying.

Rob, all the points neccesary have been made, I recommend closing this thread, as there are no more useful contributions that are going to be put forth.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Kingjames

So it's the Modrators fault?? They forced you to post something that should not have been posted?? We are supposed to keep the piece??

How about accepting some responsabillity for your own actions. We did very well for years without Moderation because as a group we were self moderating. We all gave a damn about what was posted here and didn't use the Forums to harrass other members.

You want more Moderators?? Why don't you pretend to be one before the poison pen comes out?? You the members are the Forum and you set the tone here. Why don't you all treat each other with a little more respect and you will see less and less Moderation.

Rob
    I agree, but I don't post that kind of shit and I can't speak for anyone else.You will always have some asshole posting some bullshit, but if it doesn't end with you guys then who? I don't blame the moderator's but you guys have the power to end these thread's not me.

The off topic area was designed with no guidelines and you left it wide open for all material.What would have happened if you had set some guidelines? This area was considered anything goes because guidelines were never set. Now you want to say it got out of hand,now I ask what did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    This thread has degenerated into the same exact things that were happening in OT, and WHY OT was removed! Mudslinging and fur flying.

Rob, all the points neccesary have been made, I recommend closing this thread, as there is no more useful contributions that are going to be put forth.
    Who's throwing the mud here. The people with their sarcastic remarks to gain browny points with the status quo>

Thread Information