Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Member Count and Zero Post Members

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Here's the top ten list of the first to go.

Giskard Senior Member 7,961
    Mr. Widget Administrator 7,138
    Zilch Curve Junkie 6,930
    boputnam Moderator / LH Treasurer 4,858
    Titanium Dome Inverted Dome Metalhead 4,370
    Ian Mackenzie Senior Member 4,058
    Robh3606 Senior Member 3,970
    scott fitlin Moderator 3,066
    johnaec Senior Member 2,796
    Earl K Senior Member 2,251

-------------------------------------

Rob, that clean up was a big effort. Thanks and good job.
    If about 50% of those in the list, and some not on the list suddenly disappeared, the Lansing Heritage Site can be for real people, and have a possibility to survive in the future.

As far as I can see it will slowly die out over time.

There is a fundamental difference between deleting zero posters and removing the Off Topic area. Since Zero Posters have done nothing wrong they should be alerted... we probably should have given a longer notice period, but so be it.

As for the deletion of the OT area, no one individual was singled out or penalized. We decided that a change should be made for the betterment of the Discussion Forums and we implemented that change.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    If about 50% of those in the list, and some not on the list suddenly disappeared, the Lansing Heritage Site can be for real people, and have a possibility to survive in the future.

Rolf... sometimes you take this stuff a bit too seriously. I believe Giskard was making a sarcastic remark... I really doubt he literally thinks that.

Widget

naej454
    I read you and i learn.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Rolf... sometimes you take this stuff a bit too seriously. I believe Giskard was making a sarcastic remark... I really doubt he literally thinks that.

Widget
    Maybe I do. (Take it too seriously) So be it. I am serious about my hobbies. Should I not? Carry on.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post

I think you misjudge the importance of the forum. The forum as a whole has become a very mediocre, very pedestrian place with very little impact on much of anything. One person in particular has managed to drag it down to a grade C level (70 percentile). While it might be viewed as a shame by many, and many have lamented such, it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things.

I have talked with Don too many times to count about the state of the forum and the response has always been consistent. It's degeneration was foreseen and is considered the normal lifecycle. This website will eventually decline in popularity as JBL and Altec decline in popularity. The forum, as well as those whom the forum has become their only social outlet, will probably not be its undoing.

Where we once strived to make this forum grade A with rock solid information and data we have finally come to realize that endeavor was doomed to failure given the current structure. That can be rectified without impacting the need some people have to come here daily and express themselves to their little audience on the world wide web. The considerable angst generated by the decline of the forums was unfortunate and unnecessary.

Your continued bitching about the forum is just that, bitching, and the moderators would do well to follow the webmaster's lead and simply ignore you, so long as you continue to abide by the posting rules. But, I understand their desire to defend what they helped create. The basic premise is - feel free to participate or feel free to leave, either is fine. I think most would prefer you to stay and add your two cents worth and I hope you consider that before making a decision either way.

JBL continues to reference this website and refer their customers to this website. The forum aspect of the website has become far less interesting to them as it once was while the rest of the site remains a decent draw. The Library needs an expansion and the technical reference section needs to be relocated out of the forums. It has been mentioned that the English version of the four Stereo Sound articles will be added as well as more personal profiles and product profiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Joking as opposed to being sarcastic. I laughed.

Hello Rolf

Well I see it this way

If more of the people that post here had something constructive to say or add to the threads , then suddenly , the Lansing Heritage Site can have a possibility to survive in the future.

As far as I can see it will slowly die out over time if that does not happen.

Off Topic for the most part was destructive and changed the focus of those here. It was a distraction that many times did more harm than good.

If you want this place to survive try contributing in a positive manner by adding real substance to these forums. It is real easy to sit back and do nothing but find fault.

Rob

Thank you, sir!

Its hard to find things in a lot of the technical threads because (sometimes) they get bogged down in side issues or even unrelated issues.
    To help this be more of a resource it would be helpful to dump some of those off-topic posts in significant threads. Of course, a lot of those side posts help show the character and flavour of the folks involved ...
    it would be a tough nut to crack.

BTW - I am NOT picking on the things you have discussed - I am supportive of the site getting more "On Topic".

I DON'T want the Lansing Heritage site to be "just another chat-room" - thats what AOL is for ...

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    ... I see it this way

If more of the people that post here had something constructive to say or add to the threads , then suddenly , the Lansing Heritage Site can have a possibility to survive in the future.

As far as I can see it will slowly die out over time if that does not happen.

If you want this place to survive try contributing in a positive manner by adding real substance to these forums.

Rob
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi Giskard and others.

Am I misjudging the importance of the forum? Maybe, but I have trouble seeing it myself.

I will try to give my points of view to your above post as serious as possible, but please understand that English is not my 1st language.

Yes, me to think that the forum in SOME ways have gone the wrong way over the past years, but please understand the situation I, and I believe many others see it. Let me try to explain: I read most of the posts in the General, Technical and Diy forums. What I can help with here is very limited, as there are questions there that require more technical experience than I have, but I answer and give advise if there is something I know. The experience I have is listening, connections, products, rooms etc etc.

I do not believe that the forum ever will go down because of less interest of JBL and Lansing speakers. If so we are talking about a 100 years from now.

You, and probably everybody else know that the passion we have in common is not the only interest we have. I like to give an example from the years I have been on the forum, please bare with me.

The first experience for me was to get information of what was wrong with the woofers in me 4333A's. I fixed the problem. Next was the help you gave me helping me get the diaphragms for my 2420 drivers. Problem solved. (Again, THANK YOU!) As I continue reading, there was posts from time to time that had nothing to do with our beloved speakers, and I noticed that people here had other interests as well as I had. Some even had the same interests.

So, when the OT arrived I was very happy. There I could post threads like "How is your season?", dog and fishing questions and so on. After this I got a lot of PM's from members who share the same interest. some of us have even agreed to meet when the time is right. After that the thread posted was dead. Where can I put something like this now?, and that is one reason I think is was a mistake to remove the OT.

That said, a lot of threads in the OT is in my opinion totally #%¤$. A question, yes. A constantly thread posting of pictures, movies etc is in my opinion unnecessary. The same is all the political and related threads. But the good thing was that it made members connect to each other via PM's.

Giskard: My "continued bitching of the forum" has come to an end. What I have done is simply to give my meaning and frustration over the decision, and the way it was done. By the way, has it been that much bitching?

All of you that originally put this site together, with all of the information in the Library have my greatest respect, and I believe this work must continue. And the only ones that can do this is those that know the most.

I have no plan of leaving the forum, but as I said in another post, you will not hear from me as often as before. The explanation is above.

Regarding this website importance for JBL, and reference to it, I believe that if the technical and all over know-how here is up to standards, they will probably overlook an OT forum.

At the end of this "long" post I say: Sorry I did not catch you "joke" or "sarcasm".

Happy Anniversary G

April 03-April 07

Whew, over 7,961 posts.

"Where we once strived to make this forum grade A with rock solid information and data we have finally come to realize that endeavor was doomed to failure given the current structure. "

HEY, This forum STILL has grade A, rock solid information and data. Like
    diamonds "Hidden" in a mine, or chunks of gold in a stream, you have to "work" past the inevitable, predictable, "Din". Scrub the oyster, to find the pearl, type thing. Small price to pay for knowledge.

Carry On............

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Make them buy Bose ?
    LOL Bose be buggered…

This thread has drawn a lot of reply's both pro and con and won't die.Why is this? Very simple IMHO. You have removed the human element from this site . You have made it strictly business.You also have shown more respect to zero posters than you have to the majority of it's senior member's.They at least had a warning. WE got oohgots!

Remove all the bullshit that was posted there and what do you have? A place for JBL people to meet one another.We love JBL but don't have the technical skills to meet people in the DIY. The off topic area should have had some guidelines,no religion,no politics, no flaming,etc;. The Global climate thread should have been just that and not Al Gored.The moderator's could have set some guidelines and stuck to them.

Some reply's to this thread are mean, humor injected,sarcastic,back handed,and downright belligerent.Remarks as these should not be made as they often end in most people taking them personally and out of context. We are not mind reader's here.Putting a little smiley next to these remarks does not lessen it's impact.

Never in all my life have I heard of an entire topic area being wiped out because the post's were read by people who proclaim they have no such use for it.Double handed at the least.

I don't like the off topic area but I'll read it then I post numerous times in this area that I do not like and then I will bitch about it being there.That's

Do you people really think you can stop other people from reaching out to one another? Your're attempt at this will fail.There just ain't that many DIY'ers in the world let alone JBL DIY'ers.You have to have an area where the same interest's are explored for everyone .The only requirement should be the Love for JBL (not ownership) because believe it or not there is still some people who love JBL but can't afford them.

By taking out this area without warning was an insult,you can sugar coat it anyway you like but it was downright wrong and selfish,period!

JBL 4645
    Hear, hear I agree absolutely with KingJames. I’ve seen some strange happenings on other forums sites but nothing quite like this low numbers is all I have to say low numbers.

But its a VOLUNTEER site - its not bought and paid for - you don't pay a monthly fee to use the service.

Who was gonna go through that Al Got Gored thread and tell people which posts stay and which are off topic?? Its not the point of the site.

You put resources where you can afford to put them. Its a volunteer site and Moderators - GOOD Moderators are a rare commodity

These volunteers only have so many hours in a day - they have to figure which fights they can afford and which take up too much time and contribute little. And I gather, from what I saw and what they told us here, that it took a disproportional amount of their time to keep OT civil.
    There were some MEAN fights there and in a few other places ...
    It didn't earn its keep, so to speak.
    Why is that so hard for people to understand?

AOL has paid moderators - the Lansing Forum is basically a labor of love - and there was very little love in the OT threads ... and a lot of flame.

I am not a Moderator - but I saw these things ... it was pretty apparent that OT was a mess ... for the site to continue it needed to go

This topic is well hammered - time to move on to a new discussion.

Its a JBL website - not a pub.
    Its not a site for everyone - it may not be the site for you ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Oh I almost chocked on my McCoy’s chips! “Good commodity”

Thread Information