Thread: RANE RPM26z

RANE RPM26z

Does anyone have any experience using RANE's digital crossovers, like the RPM26z? Are they suitable for home use?

After reading what I could about the Rane RPM26z digital processor on-line, I recently took the plunge and purchased a used one of ebay for a good price. Lucky for me the previous owner is a member of the forum who packaged it up very well and it arrived in fine shape.

It has taken a little while to get things set up, but I am very happy with the results. This unit is very compatible with home systems and to my ears sounds great. It is a definite step up from the Behringer DCX2496 that I was using.

I have it hooked up to my big 4-way monitors with 2245, 2202, and 2435/2403 coupled with a passive network.
    Setup is done through a computer using software that you download from Rane. The DSP has number of available processing blocks like compressors, limiters and mixers, but a lot of these are specific to live sound and professional installations. The picture below shows the basic blocks I have in the current setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I’m using the digital input almost exclusively fed into what I see as one of the most useful options available, the 30 band equalizer, then to the crossover at 280 and 850 Hz. I’ve added a delay block on the 2245 then feed the output through a level control and on to the outputs.

The 30 band equalizer eats up a lot of the limited processing power, but it makes tuning a breeze, almost too easy. Here is an expansion of this block.

Following the crossover and delay is an internal level control. This allows volume control within the unit that adjusts volume on all six outputs through a single 10k pot. This is a big step up from the 6-gang pot I was using.

It did take a little work integrating the balanced professional inputs and outputs to my other home components. The Rane accepts an AES3 digital input. I was able to get a lock with my S/PDIF output, but went with the recommendation to add an impedance matching transformer between the two. I used a small Llundahl LL1574.

Also the outputs are a little hot. I originally had the balanced outputs configured with the negative shorted to ground. This necessitated adding a lot of trim to the internal outputs and I was getting a fair amount of “hiss” on the horns. I considered adding a balanced to un-balanced converter at each output using either op-amps or transformers, but ended up using a small resistor network that I found on a diyaudio post. This gives me about 20db attenuation on the outputs and is easier on the Rane’s output stage. This is working great for me.

Obsolete
    Outstanding John!

RIP 2009
    I just picked up a Rane RPE-228D computer controlled EQ. It's a little older model, and only 28 band, but what I like is the fact it can store up to 16 presets, which can be recalled without the computer. It's been a real pain dealing with EQ as I switch between different speaker systems, so I thought I'd give this a whirl.

'Won't have it for a few days, and I'm gong on vacation soon, but I'll report back eventually...

John

Thread Information